Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
oh i see, so once a man has sex, he loses all in put on what she does? how very progressive of you
Hey, I don't write the laws - they just are what they are.

If you don't want to be a father, or have your choices about a pregnancy taken away from you, don't sleep with woman you don't care enough about to spend the next 18 years co-parenting with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Oh, wouldn't it be just luverly if all the recent posters actually READ the whole thread before letting those fingers scatter across the keyboard. So sorry you have so little time to think about to what you're responding. Sigh.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I was listening in the car this morn. to a local radio station's A.M. show. when a guy called the station for advice. He said he's been married for 5 yrs and that he deeply loved his wife and they had a great relationship except that they couldn't agree on the subject of children. Apparently, they both went into the marriage wanting kids but she has recently changed her mind and no longer wants kids. The husband is very upset, having expressed a deep desire to have kids but the wife is adamant against having kids. The husband told the radio station that he is going to sabotage his wife's birth control for "the greater good". I found this disturbing on many levels and very hurtful and decietful but was shocked when several people called in to incourage him to go through with the sabotage. What do you all think of this situation? Do you think he should sabotage his wife's birth control? He said her expected love for the child in question would overcome any resentment about having an unwanted pregnancy but I'm not so sure. What are your thoughts and opinions? Take care,.......lil red
She should do the right thing and get out of the marriage. When I was married at 21 I had believed the official "script" that says "all women want to be mothers". It wasn't until a few years later that I came to realize that it was the LAST thing I wanted. So my husband and I divorced very amicably and he went on to marry a nice divorced lady with children.

As for the question posed by the OP. I hope he is willing to live with his wife having an abortion. If I were in her shoes, that is most certainly what I would do. Nobody has the right to FORCE a woman to have a child against her will. While I do not condone abortion as a form of birth control for lazy women who do not bother to do it "the right way". I certainly could not blame any woman for terminating a pregnancy that was forced upon her.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by mrstewart; 09-16-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

If you don't want to be a father, or have your choices about a pregnancy taken away from you, don't sleep with woman you don't care enough about to spend the next 18 years co-parenting with.
oh boy, and if the law was that men didnt have to take care of children, would u be here saying "hey its the law"? or would u fight for "justice"?

Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

But if you don't WANT children, isn't that also your right to decide? Whether you are male or female? Why force someone to have kids that they never wanted in the first place?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But if you don't WANT children, isn't that also your right to decide? Whether you are male or female? Why force someone to have kids that they never wanted in the first place?
because that's what you're SUPPOSED to do to live a full life, duh!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because:

1. We don't have forced birth control, sterilizations or abortions in the U.S. This has some unpopular consequences, but I don't think most people honestly want to live in a country where those things occur. If a woman is pregnant, there's nothing you or any of us can do about it. The solution to this is to avoid impregnanting women, not try to make some law where she has to get an abortion.

2. The taxpayers don't want to pay for welfare, WIC, food stamps and other benefits if she can't support herself and your baby. We also don't want to take the kid away and stick it in foster care, because that costs money too. I can't see any reason for us to pay simply because you don't feel like it.

There's a great discussion over in Great Debates if you honestly want to jump into this. I just think you're spinning your wheels ... neither 1 nor 2 above is going to change in your lifetime, if ever. No significant number of people is going to vote for a law that changes either of these things. You can rail against it all you want.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
When it's the female who doesn't want kids, don't you suspect she's going to choose to have an abortion?

By the way, passing on your genes isn't at all necessary to live a full life.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Absolutely right. Women don't have to have children to have fulfilling lives. The last thing the world needs is more unwanted children, not to mention overpopulation, which is the driving force behind many problems. I think environment is much more important than heredity.

To reply to the OP, sabotaging her birth control would be beneath contempt. Unconscionable!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,461 times
Firstly, this is called "coerced reproduction" and happens more often than you might think and in many forms. Sabotaging the birth control is just one way to do this. Other ways include emotion coercion to not use a condom, etc.

Amnesty International's Rome Statute includes crimes against women being forced into reproduction as a crime against humanity.

Simply because an individual's brain is too simple to comprehend HOW this might be accomplished does not mean that it cannot be accomplished.

It happens every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships