Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, but only for a couple more days. On Tuesday I go back to the hospital for five days for my sixth (and hopefully final) round of round-the-clock chemo. I assume that after that, I'll have CT and/or PET Scans again and then we'll see where I stand at that point.

On a somewhat related issue, I had the melanoma on my scalp surgically removed last week and the stitches removed a couple of days ago. Apparently, the melanoma was just "in situ" so it was caught pretty early. As I mentioned when it was first diagnosed, I guess one of the "benefits" of the chemotherapy was having my hair fall out so that the melanoma could be more easily discovered.

Gotta take silver linings where you find them, lol.
Peace and blessings!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:48 AM

The chat forum is good and I am very glad the Mod's have added. Many of us have been here a long time and this forum gives us the opportunity to realize how fragile all of this is. It stuns me as a old timer here to think of the posters we have loss or loss contact with. Lets hoping all who are ill heal successfully and that those we have not heard from are well and doing other things instead of CD.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Well said, TuborgP.

So good to read the recent post from MMoB. You are a brave person. I can't imagine the treatments you are having are easy to get through. I pray they work and you are healed.

I have also wondered about our friend Curmudgeon. I'll never forget his words of wisdom that got me through a bumpy time in life. I pray for him, too, and hope there is a good reason for his absence rather than the one we might be thinking.

AZDesertBrat: Very sorry to hear about your fall and injuries. Wishing you quick healing and glad you have decided to not do cashiering anymore..... there have to be easier jobs at Walmart. That idea of putting a basket on your walker is excellent. I'll remember that when I need to use one!!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
AZDesertBrat -- Oh my goodness! So sorry to hear about your fall!! And 3 breaks? You must be hurting! I will be praying for your healing and that your therapy sessions go well. I, too, am glad that your daughter is there living with you. What a blessing. And also glad that this happened at work -- just because it is a good thing because someone saw it happen and they called for help quickly. I'm surprised you had to come down to Phoenix, though, because I know that both the Flagstaff and Prescott hospitals are very good. And sometimes insurance companies boss us around! I'm assuming you are in a one-story, which is great.

MMoB -- Wishing you the best with your sixth chemo session. I know this has been rough. What a storehouse of memories you and your wife must have from this summer. Very glad they caught the melanoma - truly a blessing that they were able to see it easily and catch it. Chemo and a hurricane. Gee whiz!

Sending good wishes to everyone.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
BJW50 - So sorry to hear about all the bad things. And yes, I have heard about the "things happening in threes", too, like [b]AZgarden[b] mentioned. I tried that a couple of months ago, and actually came up with more than three. I think our brains get more acutely tuned into listening, when we hear about the first bad thing.

How is you son doing now? Hopefully no surgery needed or anything. You were so fortunate to have that good neighbor in your life - sounds like she was a treasure. So hard to say good-bye for now.I hope things brighten up today.
He's better. He thinks that he his dinner too fast. He had a heart attack seven years ago, so he remembers what it felt like. He has a follow up with his physician on Friday.

She was always up on the happenings in the town/neighborhood. She once complained that she once used know everyone, but didn't anymore. We had kept in touch over the years. When she vanished off of facebook, i was assumed she was busy with her daughter. Her daugher messaged my son about her mother. Her daughter, son, and son-in-law were part of a rough crowd that my sons ran with.

Went fishing on Thursday. Not biting at all. Watched my daughter's kids tonight so her my son-in-law could go to the Garth Brooks concert in Lincoln.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 AM

whether it be Cat Stevens, Judy Collins or others these words seem appropriate to me at the moment:

Quote:
Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing
Praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the world
Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
Like the first dewfall on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass
Mine is the sunlight
Mine is the morning
Born of the one light Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise ev'ry morning

Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
We had a fun weekend. Saturday our granddaughter marched in the Sun Fiesta parade with her Girl Scout troup. We almost missed seeing her. Our son was walking along with two other dads, carrying water etc., he texted they were behind the lions in the parade line-up.

There is a Big Cat Habitat locally and they've had floats/cages in other parades with rescued tigers. We were watching for a cage of lions, not the Lion's Club float that came before the Girl Scouts!

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-23-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You are right about one break being enough. I've never had even one so I guess I'm doing it all at once and get it over with? I really don't know how long it'll be till I go back to work but I won't be going back to the same job. My cashier days are over. My choice and they'll work with me to find another position not so hard on my body.

It's easy to keep a positive attitude if I'm not really sick. I told them I'm old and broken but not 'sick'. lol All my caregivers said the same about my attitude so I'll keep it up! It's one reason I was able to come home so soon. That and being able to do enough things for, and by, myself. I'm getting a bike basket put on my walker so I can haul my 'stuff' around and stay organized. Nothing worse than getting all settled and comfy and ooops, forgot something!
For your sake, that's great.
I hope whatever you'll be doing will give Walmart's customers a chance to be exposed to your friendly disposition.
Reading 'you' all this time tells us Walmart has been very lucky to have you as an employee and a representative for them.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:39 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Well said, TuborgP.

So good to read the recent post from MMoB. You are a brave person. I can't imagine the treatments you are having are easy to get through. I pray they work and you are healed.

I have also wondered about our friend Curmudgeon. I'll never forget his words of wisdom that got me through a bumpy time in life. I pray for him, too, and hope there is a good reason for his absence rather than the one we might be thinking.

AZDesertBrat: Very sorry to hear about your fall and injuries. Wishing you quick healing and glad you have decided to not do cashiering anymore..... there have to be easier jobs at Walmart. That idea of putting a basket on your walker is excellent. I'll remember that when I need to use one!!

Thanks! I'll be (almost) good as new eventually...I hope! lol I've been wanting to leave cashiering for a while now but didn't want them messing with my schedule. It took me six years to get my 'perfect' schedule and I don't want to give it up. It might change a little bit but hopefully not too much.

My basket is working out great...as long as I remember to put the stuff IN it! lol

Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For your sake, that's great.
I hope whatever you'll be doing will give Walmart's customers a chance to be exposed to your friendly disposition.
Reading 'you' all this time tells us Walmart has been very lucky to have you as an employee and a representative for them.

Thank you for your kind words! I have a hunch I'm going to end up on self checkout, which is okay. I'll be allowed a stool but I am always on the move when I work self checkout. At least they have two and three attendants now instead of just one...me! Being a greeter would be easier but I don't want to do that. It's where I started and I will fill in for breaks, etc. now and then but not full time.

I am the one who feels "lucky" where Walmart is concerned. They have been nothing but good to me and I appreciate it so much. My daughter works for them now too and is finding out first hand how good they are. She's going full time ASAP. They wanted her full time from the get go but she has this other two days a week job she didn't want to give up out of 'loyalty'. Well, she needs to look out for #1 so she's quitting that job...thank goodness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement