U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
5,241 posts, read 8,790,441 times
Reputation: 6412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My wife reallllllllllllllllllllly wants to see it so probably this week.
My husband loves loves loves movies - wants to see every one but I suggested Les Miz and he's like - musicals, yuk - is it total singing?

(I love singing)

PS - Been married to him for a long time; very surprised at his reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM
 
5,425 posts, read 6,640,431 times
Reputation: 10553
I am not keen on seeing it either. Realize there is redemption with the misery; but I am just tired of misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,284 posts, read 18,068,342 times
Reputation: 6550
Bette - I'm a little too far from you otherwise we could go together and leave the old geezers at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband loves loves loves movies - wants to see every one but I suggested Les Miz and he's like - musicals, yuk - is it total singing?

(I love singing)

PS - Been married to him for a long time; very surprised at his reaction.
I agree with your husband. Really like Hugh Jackman but when I saw previews - just can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM
 
30,033 posts, read 35,213,259 times
Reputation: 11958
I am not the biggest fan of musicals, can get into some theatrical productions so time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,284 posts, read 18,068,342 times
Reputation: 6550
I saw Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma (on DVD). I believe it was a London production....it was the full stage production....he was fabulous...well the whole production was first class. However my husband did have to ask me twice to quit humming "Poor Judd is Dead".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am not keen on seeing it either. Realize there is redemption with the misery; but I am just tired of misery.
It's not about redemption with misery. It's about moral dilemmas as personified in each of the characters, and how they handle it. And it's about morality vs. the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I agree with your husband. Really like Hugh Jackman but when I saw previews - just can't do it.
Most musicals are about the music, with rather shallow plots. Les Mis is all about story and character, with the music supporting that (i.e., the music is not necessary to the story the way it is in other musicals). The production is a pretty stunning coupling of the music and drama. Claude-Michel Schönberg also did the music for Miss Saigon.

Why musical haters will like it:

'Les Misérables': Why musical-haters will like it - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM
 
30,033 posts, read 35,213,259 times
Reputation: 11958
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Most musicals are about the music, with rather shallow plots. Les Mis is all about story and character, with the music supporting that (i.e., the music is not necessary to the story the way it is in other musicals). The production is a pretty stunning coupling of the music and drama. Claude-Michel Schönberg also did the music for Miss Saigon.

Why musical haters will like it:

'Les Misérables': Why musical-haters will like it - CSMonitor.com
I often like musicals as stage productions and rarely like them on film. I will see with this one. Although I did like the Chipmunks on film
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM
 
30,033 posts, read 35,213,259 times
Reputation: 11958
MMOB is loving life. Miami, Vegas a cruise to break up the routine. Way to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top