Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times

Advertisements

AZGarden -- We had a lady at our old church who was a CASA and she loved the worked. One thing led to another and she also became very involved with several group Foster homes. I admire you for stepping up to the plate.

Jean -- I know a young Dad through FB, whose wife just had a Special Needs baby, and the new dad also had a cold and conjunctivitis! He wasn't allowed to go into the NICU. Thankfully, baby was able to come home a little sooner than originally expected, but may be having additional surgery, so hopefully it gets better. And I hope you get all healed up too, Jean! Good luck with your swimming pool adventures! I hope everything works out well for you.

AZGarden -- Did you see that your local Sam's Club is closing? Also the Casa Grande one. If ANY of you happen to know someone impacted by these previously unannounced Sam's Club closings, be sure to tell them to read the WARN Act rules. There is a Federal rule called the WARN Act which requires large employers to give 60 days notice before closing [of course, exceptions are made for disasters].

Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I decided to get a flu shot in the AM. I never do this because the one time I did, I got the flu really bad. But it's very scary with this flu which is devastating the US and the oldsters, like me, are at risk. So I will do it.

In addition, my 15 year old doggie, Boomer, has Cushings and dementia and I never know if he will make it another day. He goes outside to pee and then stands there in the cold because he isn't sure where he is.

I am starting training to be a CASA in Yavapai county. Should be very interesting !

I got both the flu and pneumonia shots this year. Being diagnosed with COPD last year I decided I didn't need to take any chances. Had two sore arms for a couple of days! Then, over New Years, I got some kind of stomach virus...nothing like flu, etc...and that laid me low for four days. And THEN I hear that the flu shot this year isn't all that great and everyone in town is sick, seems like. The newspaper said that the ER was overloaded with hours long waits because of it and we are really short handed at work too.

So sorry to hear about your poor doggie. My cat isn't feeling all that well lately either and she's 19! Called a couple of vets and nobody can work her in till midweek NEXT week. I guess the pet population is feeling it's ills too.

Color me curious but what's CASA??

PS...read ahead a bit and figured out it's 'children's advocate..."?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I decided to get a flu shot in the AM. I never do this because the one time I did, I got the flu really bad. But it's very scary with this flu which is devastating the US and the oldsters, like me, are at risk. So I will do it.

In addition, my 15 year old doggie, Boomer, has Cushings and dementia and I never know if he will make it another day. He goes outside to pee and then stands there in the cold because he isn't sure where he is.

I am starting training to be a CASA in Yavapai county. Should be very interesting !
This year's flu shot is only 10% effective. Just saying so you don't start to feel over confident since you got the shot. That is the reason so many people got the flu this year.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
AZGarden -- We had a lady at our old church who was a CASA and she loved the worked. One thing led to another and she also became very involved with several group Foster homes. I admire you for stepping up to the plate.

Jean -- I know a young Dad through FB, whose wife just had a Special Needs baby, and the new dad also had a cold and conjunctivitis! He wasn't allowed to go into the NICU. Thankfully, baby was able to come home a little sooner than originally expected, but may be having additional surgery, so hopefully it gets better. And I hope you get all healed up too, Jean! Good luck with your swimming pool adventures! I hope everything works out well for you.

AZGarden -- Did you see that your local Sam's Club is closing? Also the Casa Grande one. If ANY of you happen to know someone impacted by these previously unannounced Sam's Club closings, be sure to tell them to read the WARN Act rules. There is a Federal rule called the WARN Act which requires large employers to give 60 days notice before closing [of course, exceptions are made for disasters].
The WARN act only applies to full time employees. Walmart stores employ very few full time employees.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
[quote=skycaller23;50669439]The WARN act only applies to full time employees. Walmart stores employ very few full time employees.[/quote]

This isn't true. I, and most of the people I work with, are full time. When you apply for the job you have the choice. Many people actually choose to only work part time. Some have other jobs, some are retirees who don't need that many hours, some are students...college...and other reasons. And part time employees are also offered all the same benefits as full time. It just takes longer to go into affect.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
The WARN act only applies to full time employees. Walmart stores employ [b]very few full time employees.

This isn't true. I, and most of the people I work with, are full time. When you apply for the job you have the choice. Many people actually choose to only work part time. Some have other jobs, some are retirees who don't need that many hours, some are students...college...and other reasons. And part time employees are also offered all the same benefits as full time. It just takes longer to go into affect.
It's store specific. If your store employees more than 100 full time workers then yes, WARN applies.

When Walmart closed 250+ stores in 2016 WARN did no apply to any of them.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
This year's flu shot is only 10% effective. Just saying so you don't start to feel over confident since you got the shot. That is the reason so many people got the flu this year.
Updated info on that, from the radio this morning. It's about 30% - 40% effective.

The reason so many people got so sick with the flu is that this years' flu is a seriously nasty strain.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Just talked to my sister in Minnesota. It's bad there too. I myself have not gotten sick but, then again, haven't been around people much lately.

When I was working I got very sick at least once a year. I think because there were so many buildings that just circulated the air & everything got passed from floor to floor. Keeping away from people as much as possible seems to work for me. At least during times of illness.

I remember there were a few people who would come to work sick & spread their germs around.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Seems power went out last night, found out drunk driver hit a power pole (what a surprise). Woke up was 38 degrees in here since pellet stove (only heat source) shut off. Wondered why both dogs were in bed with me.

Brisk!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Jim -- I hope the power gets fixed. I know it is more complicated to fix an entire pole. Stay safe and warm, and the pups, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement