Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
23 millions people used cosmetic surgery in just the two years of 2006 and 2007 alone
I find this totally bizarre but I guess people get used to new normals wherein it's OK for people to rearrange their faces and bodies as they wish. I always wonder when those who go the cosmetic surgery route will decide that they can't do anymore- I mean when does one finally accept that they are old and finite. I guess we'll find out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I find this totally bizarre but I guess people get used to new normals wherein it's OK for people to rearrange their faces and bodies as they wish. I always wonder when those who go the cosmetic surgery route will decide that they can't do anymore- I mean when does one finally accept that they are old and finite. I guess we'll find out...
Ask Joan Rivers and Michael Jackson!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Quote:
A face life isn't quite "rearranging" as noses and such are still in the same place; it is mainly just getting rid of loose sagging skin and/or taking it back to its original form. And when you have a good surgeon, no one knows you had one. It is when the Botox is overdone and the lip fillers that people look like wax. But anything done in moderation leaves people guessing. And yes, some people do it two or three times, yet that is when they normally aren't fooling anyone as the hands and skin on the arms are a dead giveaway of age; plus often they are not as agile as they once were which also gives people pause when they look at them. But if it makes them happy, what concern is it of those who are doing the looking. And sometimes, (and note I didn't say ALL the time) I think it is the jealousy of the others expousing their disapproval esp. if they are in tip top shape, yet their face is not.

I have had fillers put in the verrtical lines of my lips, and it has taken years off my face I am beginning to sag, and the plan to put sollegen fillers in my cheeks this summer after I retire, and if I really then begin to age (as I have visions of me retired like that of Dorian Gray, for I really do believe that teaching has kept me young!) so be it, for like I had written many times, I want my outside to match my inside and I have too much to do to look older than I feel. And then, when I am in my 70's, I will age gracefully.

Just my second 2 cents!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM

419 posts, read 758,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ask Joan Rivers and Michael Jackson!
Can't ask Michael Jackson. But, I think he always thought he looked good.

Here is my list of celebrity plastic surgery disasters:

1. Priscilla Presley (claim to fame Mrs. Elvis Presley, no matter how brief)
2. Linda Evans (Dallas fame)
3. Marlo Thomas
4. Heather Lockhear (Recent interview. She trades clothes with her 14 yr. old daughter.)
5. Kenny Rogers
6. Tom Jones
7. Eddie Fisher (deceased)
8. Others, just can't remember at the moment

Like Michael Jackson, I am sure they all think they look good.

I recently saw Piers Morgan interview Goldie Hawn. She used to have a cute smile but I didn't even recognize her when she began to giggle because her mouth was so distorted.

Here is my list of great actresses who have had successful surgery or no help at all:

1. Jessica Tandy (deceased)
2. Gloria Stuart (deceased)
3. Anne Bancroft (deceased)
4. Vanessa Redgrave
5. Ellen Burstyn
6. Sally Field
7. Kathy Bates
8. Barbra Streisand (She always refused to fix her large nose)
9. Betty White
10. Cicely Tyson
11. Sissy Spacek

Tony Bennet looks great at his age, still looking like himself.

There is much to be said about aging gracefully. But, to each their own.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Here is my list of great actresses who have had successful surgery or no help at all:

1. Jessica Tandy (deceased)
2. Gloria Stuart (deceased)
3. Anne Bancroft (deceased)
4. Vanessa Redgrave
5. Ellen Burstyn
6. Sally Field
7. Kathy Bates
8. Barbra Streisand (She always refused to fix her large nose)
9. Betty White
10. Cicely Tyson
11. Sissy Spacek

Tony Bennet looks great at his age, still looking like himself.

There is much to be said about aging gracefully. But, to each their own.
From that list, actresses who confirmed to have surgery: Vanessa Redgrave, Ellen Burstyn, Sally Field, Barbra Streisand (she did not fix her nose, but had her jaw tucked), and Betty White.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Awful Plastic Surgery

Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
From that list, actresses who confirmed to have surgery: Vanessa Redgrave, Ellen Burstyn, Sally Field, Barbra Streisand (she did not fix her nose, but had her jaw tucked), and Betty White.
Sissy Spacek ruined her nose, as far as I am concerned.

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/2...-spaceks-nose/

Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, are you giving something other than "your opinion"?

And, I am not sure how "bad teeth" got into this discussion.
I suppose it is a red herring you are running up to distract the discussion.

Fact is that one can tell a lot about how a person has lived their life by looking at their face. Anyone who doesn't not know this is in denial. It is not always a persons fault, but frowning anger stress and hardship take their toll over a lifetime. People who accept their situation, make the best of it regardless, look on the bright side of things, laugh easily, refrain from anger and resentment, don't need plastic surgery. Simple answer, live your life as though you enjoy it and act as if you do even if it is hard. All that angst and anger doesn't change anything, just makes you ugly when you get old.
Not true.

I have lived a stressful life, endured pain and loss, live an unhealthy lifestyle and constantly have to deal with people who tick me off, which I resent.

I look at least 15 years younger than my real age.

YOU don't know what you are talking about. Genetics plays a HUGE role in how people age. If somebody wants to nip and tuck to enhance their features, so what?? Your preaching is ridiculous

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,518 times
Doesn't it all just boil down to plain old vanity? It really bothers me that everywhere we look are ads about our unsightly this or that as we age. Crepey skin, sagging eyelids, spider veins, oh my. If I keep listening to that stuff, I might not ever leave the house. The companies that sell these products and services have found our weak spot and they are running with it.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Doesn't it all just boil down to plain old vanity? It really bothers me that everywhere we look are ads about our unsightly this or that as we age. Crepey skin, sagging eyelids, spider veins, oh my. If I keep listening to that stuff, I might not ever leave the house. The companies that sell these products and services have found our weak spot and they are running with it.
There are two ways of looking at that.

If it is a "weak spot" for many folks, then perhaps they are very pleased to find a way to tighten up their necks or eliminate saggy jowels, or lift their eyelids a bit.

All advertising and marketing is to make folks aware of - and encourage them to purchase - a service or product. If a person isn't interested in the product, the ad is of no impact. If a person has been thinking - I am embarrassed by my the turkey waddle on my neck . . . then the ads give them a suggestion on something to check out and see if the price and pain are worth no longer having that excess skin.

I don't think folks are any more susceptible to images of beauty at 70 than they were at 20. We all build our self-esteem in many different ways. Perhaps getting a Ph.D. was one's person way of saying "I have standing in my community." Perhaps another person's was by being known as the "fashion plate" in his/her circle of friends, or "the best chef" . . . WHATEVER. We each find a niche, or a set of competency skills that make us feel relevant and appreciated by those f/ wh/ we seek approval.

I am sure plenty of us, at 15, were gawky, felt we were "less than" our peers b/c we didn't have (for the girls) boobs, or gorgeous hair, or perfect teeth, or we had acne. For the guys, chicken legs, baby fat instead of sculpted abs, ears that stuck out . . . or bad acne! Our moms would say - "Pretty is as pretty does." Or . . . "beauty is from within."

We didn't believe it then but most of us learned, real beauty of the spirit is from within. But that doesn't mean as we age, we enjoy looking in the mirror and once again, having those same awful feelings of inadequacy or imperfection that we had at 15. Sure, we have matured. We look at our peers and see their neck waddles and saggy boobs and 40 lb weight gain . . . we see their bellies, their balding heads, their laugh lines . . . and we are comforted.

<Now, I am not aiming this at ORNGKAT - just using those comments as a jumping off point, so not trying to offend anyone here!>

The truth is . . . when someone comes along and is wearing a dress size 6 less than ours and who doesn't have the turkey waddle or the saggy jowls or the belly droop . . . some people are gonna feel displaced and challenged - and maybe even angry. Some are gonna take what they consider the "high moral ground" and start spouting off stuff about how that is essentially trying to "cheat death" or it is "insincere and fake" etc etc. Many feel betrayed cause that person has stepped outside the peer norm for "what is typical" when we age.

The truth is . . . if a person is secure in how he or she looks, it shouldn't make a damn how someone else looks - for better or worse. And if a person enjoys seeing him/herself "renewed" by cosmetic surgery . . . SO WHAT?

Maybe we should all ask ourselves why we get so up in arms about other people's decisions.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-15-2011 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement