Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Here it is - my new to me little cabin on wheels.
Here's a trick for a "B", especially if it's just you wandering around ... put the passenger seat as far forward as it will go. Makes it easier to get in and out of the side door.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
REALLY NICE Camper Van ~ perfect for one person.

I am wondering if those are sold fully equipped as is by manufacturer, or is it custom made by dealer, or what ?
This one was made by a manufactuer as a model - fully equipped. It's a 2006 so I paid the depreciated price - a whole lot less than a new one costs. The new ones have a selection of options one could choose to add onto all the standard stuff. It looks like mine had a few after market upgrades/changes too by its previous owners.

Some people buy a cargo van and build the camper themselves at subatantial savings but that is a lot of work requiring a lot of different skill sets. All the pieces can be bought on the internet. There's also a few custom makers that will build it any you like.

I finally got all but the bath scrubbed down so it fairly gleams now. I just can't stand anyone else's dirt but my own ;-) Its a good way to find problems that need fixing like a drawer support I need to replace and a door with a crack in it. Not too bad for used. I also tightened all the screws.

I put each of the cats in there with me at different times for a half hour each. They complained and paced but finally settled on my lap purring. They'll get used to it in time. :-) So much to do ...

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
so very nice, looks fun, and you have great taste!

Quote:
I am wondering if those are sold fully equipped as is by manufacturer,
here are a few of the more popular Sprinter conversions
(They've made them since ~2003)
Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home
http://www.leisurevans.com/pdfs/0607_FreeSpirit.pdf (broken link) (danger for 'dial-up') .pdf
Airstream, Inc :: Interstate
Xplorer Motor Homes - Home
Forest River made Sprinter van (B) conversions, now only use Sprinter as Class C (Sprinter is very picky to maintain safety, restricting how conversions are done on van)

My favorite was the GulfStream Vista Cruiser 22HD, no longer in production. Tall 'crossways' bed in rear with tons of storage underneath ~ 36"H x 80"W x 40" deep. I do enjoy having a separate bed, other than dinette / couch. It is always ready, night or day for nap or total exhaustion (i.e. Death Valley in mid afternoon after hiking from dawn)

for your shopping pleasure
New and Used Class B for Sale on RVTraderOnline.com

more info here (conversion van campers)
Casita Club Portal
Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum
Class B RV's and Camper Van Conversions • Index page

The Sprinter will serve many glorious yrs (probably over 500,000 miles). they are very ez and safe to drive (I researched, sampled, and 'dreamt' of one for yrs). I finally settled on a used VW Rialta.
Traveling in VW van makes for very memorable war-stories (not all pleasant).

For the 'shoestringers' by necessity
Benchmark entry level USED Class B's
I know of a 'vintage' version van an older couple is 'retiring'; '87 Ford "Getaway" van ~ 14 mpg V8

These seem to run about $3500 - $5000 (porta potty / no shower)

My mom sold a dandy Roadtrek (Dodge) ~ '97 for $9000 a couple months ago.

BTW, I LOVE my outdoor shower, ready and hot after 10 min drive (when 'boondocking'... no elect) + a nice way to cool off after a hike in AZ / NM / CA

I can just envision the 'meet-up' (gypsies?)

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 AM

62 posts, read 97,609 times
Smile The Wide Open Road

Quote:
Hi,
Your new vehicle looks wonderful==in case I mised it where are going on your first trip---how exciting.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Hi,
Your new vehicle looks wonderful==in case I mised it where are going on your first trip---how exciting.
Denver to visit family & do my fix stuff for my mother visit.

Just encountered my 1st real challenge. The exhaust pipe for the generator fractured & it is really hard to find the right size pipe. Got a guy who said he can fix it by tomorrow but will have to figure out how and search for the pipe. Annoying how they use something hard to get. Might have to use a step down & bigger pipe to do it. oh well. such things can be retrofitted. It was the van part that I wanted be solid. Looks like the van is in very good condition.

Last edited by Tesaje; 07-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: last sentence got lopped.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default StealthRabbit ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
so very nice, looks fun, and you have great taste!

here are a few of the more popular Sprinter conversions
(They've made them since ~2003)
Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home
http://www.leisurevans.com/pdfs/0607_FreeSpirit.pdf (broken link) (danger for 'dial-up') .pdf
Airstream, Inc :: Interstate
Xplorer Motor Homes - Home
Forest River made Sprinter van (B) conversions, now only use Sprinter as Class C (Sprinter is very picky to maintain safety, restricting how conversions are done on van)

My favorite was the GulfStream Vista Cruiser 22HD, no longer in production. Tall 'crossways' bed in rear with tons of storage underneath ~ 36"H x 80"W x 40" deep. I do enjoy having a separate bed, other than dinette / couch. It is always ready, night or day for nap or total exhaustion (i.e. Death Valley in mid afternoon after hiking from dawn)

for your shopping pleasure
New and Used Class B for Sale on RVTraderOnline.com

more info here (conversion van campers)
Casita Club Portal
Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum
Class B RV's and Camper Van Conversions • Index page

The Sprinter will serve many glorious yrs (probably over 500,000 miles). they are very ez and safe to drive (I researched, sampled, and 'dreamt' of one for yrs). I finally settled on a used VW Rialta.
Traveling in VW van makes for very memorable war-stories (not all pleasant).

For the 'shoestringers' by necessity
Benchmark entry level USED Class B's
I know of a 'vintage' version van an older couple is 'retiring'; '87 Ford "Getaway" van ~ 14 mpg V8

These seem to run about $3500 - $5000 (porta potty / no shower)

My mom sold a dandy Roadtrek (Dodge) ~ '97 for $9000 a couple months ago.

BTW, I LOVE my outdoor shower, ready and hot after 10 min drive (when 'boondocking'... no elect) + a nice way to cool off after a hike in AZ / NM / CA

I can just envision the 'meet-up' (gypsies?)
WOW ~ that is a lot of information ~ all of which I did not know, and I THANK YOU !! I have never paid much attention to those camper vans during my many road trips but I can now appreciate the convenience of driving in one and having one's own facilities I imagine it would be expensive for fuel though when going cross country, etc. ?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Denver to visit family & do my fix stuff for my mother visit.

Just encountered my 1st real challenge. The exhaust pipe for the generator fractured & it is really hard to find the right size pipe. ...
I'll be in Loveland and Colorado Springs in mid Aug and mid-Sept. I will be leaving my Rialta near Airport, fly home(PDX), ($79) then back in Sept and on to Quilt Show in Black Hills, then Family reunion in MSP area. From there I my drive to Albany, NY and park it fly home ($119) then return for fall colors.

RE. pipe Those (Gensets) are painfully specific. Exhaust breakage is common issue, it is most affordable to have a muffler shop make an adapter to std size for future replacement. Sources for tubing can be NAPA or a good hydraulic or tubing shop. It is often they will take pity on your plight and make a dandy repair very cheap. Offer to recommend them to others, AND give them food (that talks to worker bees ) MIDAS has been a good source of 'on-the-road' repairs (Hvy lift and nice franchise owners)

Quote:
WOW ~ that is a lot of information ~ all of which I did not know, and I THANK YOU !! I have never paid much attention to those camper vans during my many road trips but I can now appreciate the convenience of driving in one and having one's own facilities I imagine it would be expensive for fuel though when going cross country, etc. ?
I have a spreadsheet that compares costs (Fuel, food, lodging)
I input my trips and determine my mode: (RV wins for 'leisure / open time frame' trips) VW wins for economy first, (Fly / rent = best for 'quick getaways')

Fly / rent
Drive 52 mpg VW and stay in guest homes
Drive mini RV and stay in parks
Drive mini RV and 'boondock'

my travel companions;
Free Campgrounds for RVs
America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

FYI; my estimates (fuel, food, lodging)
for a 2000 mile 7 day trip - pretty leisurely for me... 300 mile / day.
bare bones = $225 (fuel, minimal food / lodging) This is how I usually travel.
VW@50mpg= $431 - better food (eating out some)+ couple hotels
RV@20 mpg= $487
RV@15 mpg= $554
RV@ 8 mpg= $897

Fly / drive depends on destination, BUT, with advanced notice and logistically friendly destinations (Cheap car and air)
= ~$650 (priceline ~$200 / week car; ~ $200 Air; guest homes / hostels $10 - $20 / night)

BTW, fuel can KILL a budget. I relocated a Motorhome for a friend from Colorado to Roseburg, OR. Cost me $100 in fuel to get to location (VW) and $1000 in fuel to return (Motorhome Class A HOG)!! I figure I would rather stay in a Westin and drive my VW, than a fuel hog. I often drive a 1000 mile day, that would be $640 fuel savings / day w/ 5 mpg vs 50 mpg @ $3/gal

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-22-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
yes, lots of good info.

Fuel mileage was big factor in choosing the Sprinter van of this vintage. Previous owners said they got 24 mpg out of my van. There are reports of 28 mpg at speeds near 55mph from this van. Most moderate sized cars do worse. The really old US made vans do a lot worse - 10-15 mpg. Ford & Chevy vans do well if they can eke out 15 mpg.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Fuel mileage was big factor in choosing the Sprinter van of this vintage. Previous owners said they got 24 mpg out of my van. There are reports of 28 mpg at speeds near 55mph from this van. Most moderate sized cars do worse. The really old US made vans do a lot worse - 10-15 mpg. Ford & Chevy vans do well if they can eke out 15 mpg.
Yes, Sprinters are great. I have 3 friends with them and they get ~ 22-26mpg. Speed is very important (thus I prefer back roads) mine declines about 10% over 55 mph.

There are very few choice yrs for economy in older vans.
About 1986 - 1996 there were some fullsized camper vans that got 15-18 mpg. My mom's Dodge got 17-19 mpg.

My 'beater' minivan gets 20-24 mpg (196,000 miles!)
I see some minivan camper conversion kits on eBay for $6,000!! I think those could be done for $500 - $1000. It is very time consuming and expensive to convert your own. Cheaper to buy a used one professionally done.

I am developing a product for 'stealth' camping that will ease a camper conversion / use of a station wagon or mini van. It will probably be well under $500

Tesaje- have a great safe trip, Which route are you planning to CO? Remember many small rural towns allow free camping in city parks. I happen to be partial to these stops enroute (your tastes may vary , I sure hope so)
The Villages of Van Buren . . Antiques-Hunting-Fishing-Canoeing-Hiking-Historic Sites-Lakes and Parks . . You'll find it all in Van Buren County, Iowa! (Iowa)
Windmill State Recreation Area - Attractions, Pictures, Camping, Hotels and Resorts in Nebraska
Pioneer Village (nice shady camping with free / discount admission - beware of thunderstorms!!)
Ole's Big Game Steakhouse, Lounge, & Restaurant offering great Pheasant Hunting, Fishing, a Days Inn Motel for lodging, an RV Park, and Campgrounds - Paxton, Nebraska! (good steaks)
Cabela's Sidney, NE Retail Store : Cabela's Retail (free camping, 'fun store')

I also like this route through Kansas. (I Love the prairie)
North and parallel to I-70, through Manhattan / Lincoln / Denmark, KS (Sand hills)

Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
(I Love the prairie)
whoops, another secret out of the bag
P.S., A Partnership Linda Peavy and Ursula Smith - Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier

Confessions of a Pioneer Woman - ThePioneerWoman.com

going back under cover

bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.