Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Back to the OP...Women retiring alone to a new city/state ~ where/why? where = anywhere nicer than here (tough to beat, but drier will help), Why = 'Because I can . THE LIST: access to a CHEAP lap pool ($<100/yr), 1 hr to international airport. 20 min to a college, Decent gardening and music scene (classical / chamber / baroque), COOL sleeping nights in summer <60F. no Humidity, LOTS of outdoor recreation; Happy, adventurous, FUN, and educated seniors. Low cost of living, (Plenty of cheap fruit year around), High speed internet would be really a nice treat for a change FREE WiFi for entire town even better. NO stoplights... Lots of hot dish dinners (just a few of my 'more important' desires)
Do share when you find this place which meets many of my criteria too.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
There was a time, no too long ago, where you could sell your house for $30,000-$40,000 more than the assessed value. Now, it's more like $30,000-$40,000 below assessed value.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Do share when you find this place which meets many of my criteria too.
Loveland / Berthoud / Ft Collins, CO is pretty close to this ideal (but it is hard to return to your OLD home and be satisfied). It is a bit brown in winter, but often very nice (sunny and cool, often WARM Chinook winds = snow in AM, gone by noon )

I also liked Chico, CA (if one could consider moving TO CA)

Other likely spots in PNW. (minimal 'hot-dish' dinners- socially 'independent' folks)
Hood River, OR or... (Klamath Falls, Roseburg, Bend, - international airports) +
White Salmon, WA, or... (Walla Walla, Port Angeles - Sequim, Wenatchee, WA - international airports)
Moscow, Post Falls, ID

Other places on my list to search include Knoxville or Oakridge, TN. I like the Black Hills (Spearfish, SD) and Sheridan, and Powell, WY. also some nice places in Alaska, but moderate climate areas are very rainy there. (Note these are all 'income tax' free states, but not particular to that req. Colorado would do (moderate taxes tempered by conservative voters)

Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
There was a time, no too long ago, where you could sell your house for $30,000-$40,000 more than the assessed value. Now, it's more like $30,000-$40,000 below assessed value.
or $500,000 below assessment (as my neighbor just found out)

Just had an auction nearby of 5 acre lots w/ water, view, septic... sold for $220k in 2007, auctioned for $12k this month. (land only)

Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM

62 posts, read 97,676 times
Default Going where my heart is

I have agonized these many months since my mum died--do I go where my da.ughter and grandson live ( not where I would choose ex husband etc really never bonded with Sacramento)or go where my heart says even if it means I will be on my own and far from family. Yes I ponder what may happen to me when I get really old but I gave up a career to come home and care for my mum and in all honesty would I think that my only child would do the same--sad to say no. So my next move is for me---I want to live where I can see the stars at night--space to turn the music up loud whether it be Hendrix or the Ring of the Niebelung---where I can have my kind of dog Newfoundland etc not a 20lb dog in a 55 plus community in Sacramento. This forum has been illuminating. thank you

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
I have agonized these many months since my mum died--do I go where my da.ughter and grandson live ( not where I would choose ex husband etc really never bonded with Sacramento)or go where my heart says even if it means I will be on my own and far from family. Yes I ponder what may happen to me when I get really old but I gave up a career to come home and care for my mum and in all honesty would I think that my only child would do the same--sad to say no. So my next move is for me---I want to live where I can see the stars at night--space to turn the music up loud whether it be Hendrix or the Ring of the Niebelung---where I can have my kind of dog Newfoundland etc not a 20lb dog in a 55 plus community in Sacramento. This forum has been illuminating. thank you
Very difficult choices, and I sympathize and deeply understand.

Have you made any decision as to where you will move to? Will it be soon?

This may be a good time to buy a little place as in the Northeast and PNW we are heading into winter and many owners may want to unload at a reasonable price.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM

62 posts, read 97,676 times
Default Where to move to?

[quote=newenglandgirl;16040858]Very difficult choices, and I sympathize and deeply understand.

Thank you for the kind words. There is so much to think about when relocating, property prices, taxes etc.In California I loved the long growing season(being an avid gardener) but I much prefer cooler climates as I seem to function much better despite the fact that warmer climates are much easier on the joints. I still like the idea of Maine a state I am very fond of--it seems to call to my Celtic soul==reminds me so much of my homeland. Ideally it would be nice to have family just around the corner but realistically many of us do not see our families every day --they have their own lives and interests and as young families do they may move and then I would be stuck living where the main reason for my move no longer existed.
I have not ruled out other areas. I love the mountains of Tennessee. So many choices in this wonderful country.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
[quote=flyingscot47;16049263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Very difficult choices, and I sympathize and deeply understand.

Thank you for the kind words. There is so much to think about when relocating, property prices, taxes etc.In California I loved the long growing season(being an avid gardener) but I much prefer cooler climates as I seem to function much better despite the fact that warmer climates are much easier on the joints. I still like the idea of Maine a state I am very fond of--it seems to call to my Celtic soul==reminds me so much of my homeland. Ideally it would be nice to have family just around the corner but realistically many of us do not see our families every day --they have their own lives and interests and as young families do they may move and then I would be stuck living where the main reason for my move no longer existed.
I have not ruled out other areas. I love the mountains of Tennessee. So many choices in this wonderful country.
Have you considered the Pac. NW? Climate might be to your liking & it is considerably closer to your family than Maine.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

Have you considered the Pac. NW? Climate might be to your liking & it is considerably closer to your family than Maine.
This is certainly good advice. It really helps to stay in the same time zone, and the $80 RT flights to Sac, $120 to Bay,(1 hr) $180 LA (2hrs). Makes the trip very EZ. It is just a long day drive to Sac / Bay (from PDX). Using southern OR as a homebase would reduce the drive, but air may be more spendy (or cheaper if you use Allegiant out of Medford).

Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Hey, where'd everybody go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement