Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Well, Tricia, you are droll and a fine writer, to boot, and I, personally, look forward to your further adventures in Western NC--and beyond. Your discoveries will enrich us--and who knows, attract us to form the uber-community of kindred spirits? But an intentional community? Not for moi--I hate process and meetings..that just holds little appeal to me...would rather live in a yurt around a campfire and drumming circle. Separate but equal.

I know what you mean about having several places to live...the ocean calls to me and then the mountains and high places and the hard wood forests do, too. Especially in the summer, for I am not drawn to high humidity, though the warm tropical nights are quite soft and those I like...much like the tropics when the sea winds doth blow...

Gemini, you know? Need two habitats to please both personnas...I'm trying to figure out a way for a woman of slender means (but very rich in spirit) to live in two places...

I live in a little seaport town called Beaufort (pray tell this isn't where your strange and unpleasant encounter took place?) I like it very much and have made some dear friends...but then those mountains send out their siren call and I must answer. Possibly a month in the high places of NC this Fall is in the cards...I'm plotting and planning and casting the stones...

North Carolina has soothed me in many ways...the courtesy and kindness is sweet to experience. And people love books and literature here...

Yes, I know what you mean about Asheville...in some ways it can remind one of Berkeley, CA and that one world view can be stultifying...give me divergent viewpoints to discuss, debate and gestate...
Beaufort - a beautiful little town! - been there and fell in love - NC does have an abundance of wonderful little towns and actually, living in a small town has made me want to explore a bit more. feels safer than living in some of the cities I have lived in and yet allows that same walkability which i love.

The market place of ideas - my favorite place to shop - I've been a sixties/seventies psuedo-hippie, traditional mom, conservative politician, late-in-life graduate student, utopian communist (likely a result of late in life return to campus) , and dancing fairie in the meadow grasses....... the immersion in various schools of thought has allowed for a multitude of experiences and a dry wit of commentary on virtually any school of thought. My dream community is made up of people who respect differences and can laugh and love in spite of conflicting philosophical perspectives.

Since that cannot exist, my second thought is furthering the development of wandering seekers in their individual quests - wow, sounds like a business plan to me! think i can get wachovia to underwrite me? (opps....wachovia is gone.....ummm, wells fargo? freddie mac/fannie mae/sally jo? ) LOL

Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Tricia,

Presently, I'm residing in Greenville, NC. moved here at the urging of my daughter, but I need to get out of this town. I will miss the people I go on camping trips with, but I hope to find a similar group if and when I find a new destination closer to the ocean. Sarasota is on my list, but I tell ya after reading Wisteria's description of Santa Cruz and the lifestyle, that area sounds so tempting. But then, I've said it before, I may stay put and just take long trips to various areas, when possible.

I will be a campin this weekend. My group has been invited to camp at the, Cool Springs Environmental Center, in New Bern. Never been there, but it's about 30 + people from the group that will be attending should be fun. Easter weekend, we had a group of about 25 at Falls Lake in Duram. That was my favorite camping trip to date. Could do without some of the drama, but still lots of wonderful company.
and a delightful holiday camping to you, trosa! we have likely passed each other at some point on I95 or 40 or some such road............I didn't put greenville in my prospects because it, like fayetteville and wilmington, seem to get a lot of negative press and i don't know if i can handle the more eastern dripping humidity that isn't right on the coast (wilmington is directly on the coast but likely can't do since the to-be former is living there and we really have to have separate cities)

one of my visits will include the triangle/may not be at all what i'm looking for but it seems necessary to at least look at carrboro (after seeing the you tube video "it's carrboro" and laughing my head off); revisit Cary(likely not but at one time it appealed to my new urbanism perspective); roll thru several of the towns around there - i do like ACC ball & tobacco road but that too will likely have been a passing phase. NC State hasn't had a good year in a longgggggggggg time.

i too need to be able to get to the water - in recent years, i've realized i need the mountains and the cool and shade as well. i think my plan will allow both as well as the charm of a little bungalow of sorts....we'll see - we'll see - for now, on to dreams and fantasies - the process may be more fun than the realization

Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Well, I'm presently sitting here waiting for folks, to come grab me on the way to the campsite. Thought we were leaving in the AM, sigh, had to put some food items back in fridge. grrrrrrrrrrrr. Lemon into lemonaide, lemon into lemon aide, repeat. I'm exhausted, take a nap, (something I rarely ever do) it all works out.

Hope all have a good weekend.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 AM

13 posts, read 56,886 times
Default Shall we gather at the ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
for the single female, mostly on less-than-optimum incomes. many of us will set trends - i feel it in my bones
think i'll head to the nantahala forest for some peace and quiet!)
Just spotted several lakefront/lakeview cabins $55-110K in the Lake of the Ozarks (built 2000-2007) shall be gather round the ...(mile marker 4)!!!

Ode to the nantahala "Land of the Noonday Sun" fun memories of rafting!!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:26 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
TRosa, just realized I hadn't responded to your question about where I lived at the Jersey shore -- it was North Wildwood (Cape May County). Have you ever been there? Wildwood had been a hugely popular family resort with a great boardwalk and beach, then fell into decline in the 80's and 90's. Started making a huge comeback with the real estate boom -- it was the only affordable beach town in that area. So everything started being knocked down or rehabbed for condos. I bought a tiny condo in '04, then decided it would be great to move to the beach full-time. Bought a bigger condo in '07...then the market went bust. Construction came to a halt, and foreclosures were all over the place. It was depressing....and as it turned out, I didn't like living full-time in a resort town that was so far from the vibrancy of the city (Phila.) anyway. Rather than be stuck for years waiting for the market to come back, I sold in '09....took a loss, of course, but not catastrophic. But I'd say I've lost a ton of money over the years by buying, furnishing, accessorizing, then getting antsy and selling....and paying commissions every time....then having to furnish and accessorize the NEXT place...I've got to STOP!!! I should have a paid-off house by this time!

Which gets me back to renting, which is what I'm doing now. Triciajeanne, I found out another renter here has also had multiple complaints about his two dogs, so now I don't feel quite as bad. I'd still like to find a nice little comfortable affordable house with a yard....but I'm so afraid I'll change my mind in a few years and want to move AGAIN....

Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
TRosa, just realized I hadn't responded to your question about where I lived at the Jersey shore -- it was North Wildwood (Cape May County). Have you ever been there? Wildwood had been a hugely popular family resort with a great boardwalk and beach, then fell into decline in the 80's and 90's. Started making a huge comeback with the real estate boom -- it was the only affordable beach town in that area. So everything started being knocked down or rehabbed for condos. I bought a tiny condo in '04, then decided it would be great to move to the beach full-time. Bought a bigger condo in '07...then the market went bust. Construction came to a halt, and foreclosures were all over the place. It was depressing....and as it turned out, I didn't like living full-time in a resort town that was so far from the vibrancy of the city (Phila.) anyway. Rather than be stuck for years waiting for the market to come back, I sold in '09....took a loss, of course, but not catastrophic. But I'd say I've lost a ton of money over the years by buying, furnishing, accessorizing, then getting antsy and selling....and paying commissions every time....then having to furnish and accessorize the NEXT place...I've got to STOP!!! I should have a paid-off house by this time!

Which gets me back to renting, which is what I'm doing now. Triciajeanne, I found out another renter here has also had multiple complaints about his two dogs, so now I don't feel quite as bad. I'd still like to find a nice little comfortable affordable house with a yard....but I'm so afraid I'll change my mind in a few years and want to move AGAIN....
No problamento. . I'm not familiar with the area, I most stuck to Monmouth and Ocean Co beach areas. Belmar and Bradley Beach were the main beaches I took to during the springs and summer months, sometimes Point Pleasant, Seabright, and once and a while Long Branch. I lived in Monmouth Co '85 till '96. Loved living there, just couldn't tolerate the winters any longer. Plus, I needed more beach time.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM

In case anyone is interested, I had a blast on my camp trip in spite of the pain I was in. The company of my fellow campers helped take my mind off the pain much of the time, especially when I got to dog sit Maggie the sweatest of beagals. a few pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-new-bern-027.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-new-bern-023.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-trrec-group.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-trrec-group3.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-trrec-tents-blue-mine.jpg  

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-spring-cool-springs-trrec.jpg  

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM

A few more pics including the resident gator.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-new-bern-017.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-new-bern-025.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-springs-new-bern-trrec.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-gator-neuse-river.jpg  

Old 06-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
In case anyone is interested, I had a blast on my camp trip in spite of the pain I was in. The company of my fellow campers helped take my mind off the pain much of the time, especially when I got to dog sit Maggie the sweatest of beagals. a few pictures below.

thanks for sharing! so glad you had a good time and hope you are feeling much much better!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Default Off To Cleveland

My Cleveland trip begins this coming Wednesday. Besides seeing old friends I will be checking out the area as a possible relocation place. I'll give a report on my return.

It may not be paradise, but from what my friends tell me, it meets most of my needs.

Whoops, sorry. What was I thinking? I should have put this in the "Women who are thinking of relocating....." thread. Mods feel free to move this if that is more appropriate.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-06-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: I goofed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement