Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Going to be 51, and originally from the cold midwest, living in the south now and can't afford to stay here, and want something new. Also looking for an affordable lifestyle. Being alone means living in a cheaper area for retirement costs. Interested in meeting wonderful people to do things with also, and if a man comes along........I won't complain MUCH! LOL.

I started on the west coast researching, ended up on the east coast, to the middle US, back to the west coast but also including CO, and a neat visit there. This would be a place I COULD DEFINITELY LIVE along with OR, and WA, CA but who can afford these places on a limited income, or budget ha?

Back to TN, and KY now........Next month I may be somewhere different, but I know I am learning alot.........LOL.

Have been on TN, and KY a while now maybe these area will be the ticket. LOL. The hardest thing is to find places w/o jobs long distance, and also finding a job......at my age I still have to work.

If you guys find something neat, and reasonable please give out your secret place.

Maybe we should get a map, blindfold ourselves, spin around and pick a spot.
Hi, Sillygal. I am new, this is my first message. Three years ago I came upon this site while researching for places to relocate to. The Knoxville area was looking pretty good to me. I visited and was getting serious about my move, but life "hit me" again; meaning family issues. My grandson is getting ready to graduate in May and I will finally be free to relocate and want to desperately "spread these old wings". I will keep on reading these threads because I sense the camaraderie and sincerity that you all seem to share.

I agree with your post,
Quote:
"Maybe we should get a map, blindfold ourselves, spin around and pick a spot."
That actually went through my mind!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity33 View Post
Hi, Sillygal. I am new, this is my first message. Three years ago I came upon this site while researching for places to relocate to. The Knoxville area was looking pretty good to me. I visited and was getting serious about my move, but life "hit me" again; meaning family issues. My grandson is getting ready to graduate in May and I will finally be free to relocate and want to desperately "spread these old wings". I will keep on reading these threads because I sense the camaraderie and sincerity that you all seem to share.

I agree with your post,That actually went through my mind!
Welcome! Keep on reading the thread, but also participate. Otherwise, the older we posters get, the more likely we will forget who you are!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,311 times
Thank you, Lenora. Finally, I made contact with someone. I am still reading the in's and out's about posting; and read that it is a good idea to read "old posts" so that some of my questions can be answered. So like you said, I will comment from time to time to stay connected.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM

28 posts, read 88,907 times
All, It's been forever since we have communicated about being a single woman "of a certain age," retiring alone and here I am again. Several years ago, I posted about retiring after my federal career ended. Well, it's finally ending, dying a slow, painful death. Now I am really facing the prospect of striking out on my own at 62. Are there any of our friends like Wisteria, Windwalker2 and the other wonderful writers who contributed to this thread a few years back? If so, I'd love to catch up with you all and see where you finally settled.
As for me, well....much has changed since 2008 when I first discovered this thread. I was considering retiring in NOCAL but that looks unlikely since the cost of living is so high. It looks like I'm really going to get a travel trailer and tour around the US for awhile, looking for that sweet spot. I plan to write about it and videotape parts of my adventure. My family is split between the East and West Coasts so my travels will take me there but I am going to explore all over the West, Texas, Florida and New England. My last day of work is April 30th. I'm scared and excited and think I'll head South.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
The recession dropped the value of my current house so low that I had to give up on moving for years. I am thinking of it again now, but it becomes harder every year due to aging.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM

292 posts, read 358,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
I'm scared and excited and think I'll head South.
I absolutely love this line. Sounds like the opening to a great story. Hope you'll let us know where you're blogging or otherwise recording your journey. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 AM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
i'm leaving my home and farm after 24 years because i can no longer afford to live here either. i'm in my fifties, hubby is retired and living with cancer--he's also in his seventies and may not have a lot of time to be frank. so we too are hitting the road. maybe we'll spend a winter in italy before we rv around the country side--we'll just have to see how he feels when it's time to go i guess.
and best to have him by my side as i learn the care and feeding of an rv, as i assume it will be just me one of these days.
best wishes to all of you, it's a big world out there!!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I'm a single 62 also, and I really don't want to retire until 65 but I might not have a choice, I haven't had a "good" job since 08 and all I can find is a PRN patient sitter job at a hospital and if there's no crazies there's no work.

My goal is to sell my property but I'm in a really depressed area so I'm stuck, the only sales in my county over the last 4 years have been foreclosures and the market hasn't come back yet.

My next goal is to move back out west and get out of the heat, humidity, bugs and too long summers.

I also am considering getting a small rv to live in, there is a group of singles who are rver's and they've got a great forum. I'd like to get a small property where I can have a hook-up to park my travel trailer part time and maybe build a small apartment at one end.

I'm way into downsizing and have been going through all my stuff to make it easy.

The crash really messed with my plans but, I'll just have to make do for a while longer.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The recession dropped the value of my current house so low that I had to give up on moving for years. I am thinking of it again now, but it becomes harder every year due to aging.
Me too !!

I guess I could/would/will take the loss eventually ~~ but it's a depressing thought !

Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM

215 posts, read 312,220 times
All of the things mentioned in posts recent and much older are happening to me, an older woman, retired from what I was forced to do to make a living to what I would be happy doing. I wish I had read these wonderful posts before I sold my house which went way too quickly and now I have no place to go. To some that sounds adventurous, but let me tell you, it's not.

I'm looking for a place, too, where the cost of living is lower and find myself at the moment in the western part of Virginia, a place discovered when my daughter went to college here and I have been in love with the foothills of the Blue Ridge ever since. The people here have been kind and cordial. It's finding a place to live that has been most difficult. There are apartment complexes after apartment complexes filled with people who have arrived here and don't yet have a permanent place to live. Houses go under contract in the blink of an eye if they're in a decent neighborhood at a decent price. I've seen them all and am very disappointed with some of what I'm seeing.

Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel with my cat for company. I'm not in an apartment because most places will only take two cats and I have three. There's a lot of uncertainty out there and like so many of you, I just want to make sure the last decades are happy ones filled with good company, fine wine, laughs and conversation.

Why was it in the Sixties we never had a problem with deciding where we were going to wind up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.