Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister was fired from her job as a pet-store manager when she told them she was pregnant, also in 1977.

And I'm sure you also remember the Help Wanted columns in newspapers split into two categories--Male and Female.
I remember those days and, you know, it never entered my mind to question it either. It's just the way things were. My first job out of high school actually came from the "Male" help wanted column but I got lucky. One of my best friend's mom was the one who did the hiring and knew me well enough to think I could do the job. I worked in a small book binding factory and made book covers. Why they wanted a man to do it I don't know because it was pretty easy! Maybe because of the machinery used but that was easy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Most people wouldn't know what to do with investing for retirement even if they wanted to.

Everyone is scared out of the stock market cuz they think it's rigged, people are buying gold cuz they're convinced the dollar is gonna crash, and most people buy houses when EVERYONE ELSE is and real estate is bid up to the moon.

If you gave most people 150k per year, they'd find a way to spend it all and have nothing left to save and then blame the gov't.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Don't blame us if we aren't able to extrapolate what you're saying.
Actually, I did, and shall continue, to blame you when you refuse to allow yourself to understand what other people are telling you and instead insert your own ridiculous corruption of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
If multiple people are misunderstanding what you're saying, then try to reorganize what it is you're trying to say in a more clear and concise manner
When people who aren't maniacally inclined to oppose what I'm saying tell me that it needs to be worded different, I'll give it some credence. My guess is that you two are simply trying to make it seem like you didn't understand, simply because you didn't like what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nothing wrong with working all the way till you die.
True, though part of the problem is that many jobs simply are beyond the physical capabilities of the old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
While there's only so much money to go around and how the scarce funds get allocated is more of a political question than anything else, I'd rather see it go to the elderly than the young and poor.
I find this kind of post very disappointing.
We ought to be trying to find a way to get everyone some kind of medical care rather than arguing one group is morally superior to another. I don't believe the needs of people in their 70's and 80's should be met in full while allowing infants and children to go without. No moral society behaves in such a fashion.
Precisely. There's been far too much rationalization of moral turpitude in the interest of what some refer to euphemistically as "practicality". This cynical "divide and conquer" strategy of attempting to rationalize denying the worth and dignity of the poor by throwing a bone to the elderly is part of the cancer of callous disregard I was referring to.

Quote:
Ultimately, people in this country need to realize they are in the same boat together. We'll sink or swim as a country. There are undeserving people as I pointed out earlier, but those people do not include children and those who are disabled.
Indeed. Underserving people should be identified by their specific actions/inactions - never by lazy blanket characterization or profiles.

Quote:
One reason I belong to the AARP is the organization believes in health insurance for all, not just the privileged. That's the kind of America all of us ought to support. Not one where we just try to take all we can for ourselves and damn future generations.
And, no, it isn't the most practical (read: cold, heartless, callous, self-serving) way of looking at things. But it is the human, compassionate, moral way of looking at things.

Last edited by bUU; 08-20-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Most people wouldn't know what to do with investing for retirement even if they wanted to.

Everyone is scared out of the stock market cuz they think it's rigged, people are buying gold cuz they're convinced the dollar is gonna crash, and most people buy houses when EVERYONE ELSE is and real estate is bid up to the moon.

If you gave most people 150k per year, they'd find a way to spend it all and have nothing left to save and then blame the gov't.
This is true. I would have no idea how to invest money if I had any. I would not know where to even begin or HOW to begin. My parents didn't have that kind of money, and I didn't go to college. I don't get how the stock market works. It just looks like gambling to me. You buy some stock based on what someone else says is a good idea, give somebody some money, and hope that you win. How is this different from the horse track besides the fact that one of the horses has to win?

They started offering a deferred comp program at work some years ago, but I couldn't afford to participate. I have always had to live paycheck to paycheck, still do. However, I looked at the information hoping someday it would be a possibility, lol, and it was confusing. You had a choice of several funds to invest in, some more risky than others, but how would someone like me know which one to choose? I would have to pay someone for financial advice, and again, that wouldn't be in my budget.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Precisely. There's been far too much rationalization of moral turpitude in the interest of what some refer to euphemistically as "practicality". This cynical "divide and conquer" strategy of attempting to rationalize denying the worth and dignity of the poor by throwing a bone to the elderly is part of the cancer of callous disregard I was referring to.
What are you alluding to..that we give away all the money we saved for retirement ?
Then that makes us poor.

You pontificate (yeah I can use the big words too) but never really say anything.

"the cancer of callous disregard" though has a nice ring to it.

Just what are we disregarding here ....to send a check to someone ?

Because it always boils down to money.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 PM

282 posts, read 382,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I wasn't even thinking about EITC but just the taxes I paid in every pay period. Federal and State. For a long time I got back nearly every penny of what I paid in.
That is why you don't understand the inequity of the tax system. You didn't pay any and benefited by everything this country offers. Show some sympathy for the "tax payers" that have given you this country. Geeeezzzz...

I think everybody, of any income level should pay some minimum amount just to live here. Remember, just defense of this country from the world is expensive. And local law enforcement costs (and prison costs) are paid by tax payers too.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM

282 posts, read 382,298 times
Quote:
Essentially, the wrong people (those who can't afford children) are having the most of them.
This is rewarding bad behavior. It is well intentioned to help children, but it just makes the problem worse by not punishing the people who brought those children into this world and rely on others to support them. The logical end is to have everybody in poverty, those working and taxed to death and those not working and collecting all the tax payer's money.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRSJim View Post
That is why you don't understand the inequity of the tax system. You didn't pay any and benefited by everything this country offers. Show some sympathy for the "tax payers" that have given you this country. Geeeezzzz...

I think everybody, of any income level should pay some minimum amount just to live here. Remember, just defense of this country from the world is expensive. And local law enforcement costs (and prison costs) are paid by tax payers too.
Depends on your deductions/exemptions as to what you pay on income taxes.

Last edited by Weichert; 08-20-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRSJim View Post
This is rewarding bad behavior. It is well intentioned to help children, but it just makes the problem worse by not punishing the people who brought those children into this world and rely on others to support them. The logical end is to have everybody in poverty, those working and taxed to death and those not working and collecting all the tax payer's money.
I agree but there's no humane way to handle this problem.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
I agree but there's no humane way to handle this problem.
True but there are natural outcomes that aren't either and that tipping point is being reached in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement