Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Have guests coming so I decided to go through all bed linen and towel in guest and master bed and bath. Got rid of at least 1/2 of everything. Ended up with two complete sets of bed linens for guest bedroom and 4 sets of bath towels, hand towels, and face clothes for guest bath.

4 sets of bed linens for master bed, 4 sets of bath towels, hand towels, and face clothes for master bath and as I am single, that is plenty. One set of towels is for my lady friend that spends a night or two a month here.

Also disposed of two sets of bed quilts/shams. Have two sets left. One light set for Spring to Lall. One heavy set for the Winter.
Sounds like you have a very tidy linen closet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM

99 posts, read 68,406 times
Got rid of the house and now stay in motels and hotels. Next, probably an RV. Still I have a storage shed, but it's great not having a lot of old crap.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Brought 27 boxes of books to the library for their annual sale. It felt good opening up all that space in the garage!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.
You're in a small place. wow!

Sorry to hear that. If you were my parent, I would love to keep the old photos and recordings. I would be proud to keep those.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:08 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Assorted baking pans, miscellaneous kitchen items, trays, vases, and a desk lamp -- all going to the local charitable thrift shop.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Helped Mom mentally furnish her independent living apartment she's going to move into soon. She now finally recognizes she has to severely limit what she can bring, so next on the list is packing up only that which she'll take, and preparing all the other stuff for the auction/estate sale.

This is huge progress.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Default Please help!

Any ideas on how I can get my wife to go along with downsizing? She refuses to get rid of anything. I have to wait until she's out before I can delete old messages from the answering machine! She doesn't want to delete old shows on TIVO, even when she knows we won't watch them.

Our basement is a disaster. Piles of old clothes and boxes from retail purchases. The idea is we give the clothes to charity for the tax write off. But it never happens.

Any ideas on how I can coax her into "get rid of old crap" direction?

--

Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
LOL! I have those same hoarding tendencies (can't delete shows and movies I've already watched on my DVR). It's a problem!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Any ideas on how I can get my wife to go along with downsizing? She refuses to get rid of anything. I have to wait until she's out before I can delete old messages from the answering machine! She doesn't want to delete old shows on TIVO, even when she knows we won't watch them.

Our basement is a disaster. Piles of old clothes and boxes from retail purchases. The idea is we give the clothes to charity for the tax write off. But it never happens.

Any ideas on how I can coax her into "get rid of old crap" direction?

--
MAKE HER WATCH THE HOARDING SHOWS ON TV >> it might spark an awareness of what's she's doing,

or not doing.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
Assorted baking pans, miscellaneous kitchen items, trays, vases, and a desk lamp -- all going to the local charitable thrift shop.
good job! less stuff always makes tidier cupboards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement