Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 PM

720 posts, read 766,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Do you not watch/read the news?

Movie Theater Shootings Raise Security Issues
As a matter of fact I don't. I find there are always people around willing to share the things they think I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:30 PM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
JRR and Heath V, I totally agree with you! But Kay Effzee, whose comment was to another poster, seemed surprised when this other poster mentioned getting shot up in a theatre. I was merely informing her of events that have occurred in the past couple of years.

Believe me, if I thought I'd get shot in a theatre, I wouldn't go...but I saw Stars Wars the weekend after Christmas, Sisters on New Years Eve, Brooklyn on New Years Day, and The Revenant last night. So I obviously don't live in fear.
Actually, I do remember those incidents, it's not something I would think of in association with Star Wars, but crazies can be anywhere you go or don't go...

Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Wouldn't your chances of being killed or injured be much better during the drive to the theater rather than in the theater?
Why would someone risk any harm from transporting to/from the theater if they are not actually going to patronize the theater? So your question makes no logical sense. I believe the point isn't to compare the risk of harm at the theater to the risk of harm transporting to/from the theater, but rather to compare the combined risk of transporting to/from the theater and patronizing the theater to some other leisure activity, such as spending the afternoon watching DVDs at home, or visiting a state park for some hiking (the latter also including the risk of transporting to/from). In that context, the recent news for which LibraGirl123 shared a link puts such options in a rational risk comparison context.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:48 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
As a matter of fact I don't. I find there are always people around willing to share the things they think I need to know.
You realize, don't you, those are also always people with their own agendas about what you should know?

Old 01-11-2016, 11:30 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Why would someone risk any harm from transporting to/from the theater if they are not actually going to patronize the theater? So your question makes no logical sense. I believe the point isn't to compare the risk of harm at the theater to the risk of harm transporting to/from the theater, but rather to compare the combined risk of transporting to/from the theater and patronizing the theater to some other leisure activity, such as spending the afternoon watching DVDs at home, or visiting a state park for some hiking (the latter also including the risk of transporting to/from). In that context, the recent news for which LibraGirl123 shared a link puts such options in a rational risk comparison context.
I could be wrong, but I think that most people got my point. Sorry that you didn't.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I don't think anyone had any trouble understanding what you were trying to claim, but my comment was aimed to help you understand why LibraGirl123's comment was relevant. "Sorry that you didn't."

Old 01-11-2016, 02:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Wife and I flat out totally enjoyed it and await the next one minus ... .... so sad! The question who are --- parents and where does the ----- come from. Oh many can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement