Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good, then I can wait until it comes out on VHS.
VHS? Are they still being produced? Who would buy movies not in DVD or Bluray formats?

I am in the process of converting old families VHS tapes into DVD and could not believe how poor VHS quality was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 04:32 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Favorite moment of the old and the younger... (and the sometimes stuck up a bit)

I'm a lifetime member of LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society) which was founded in the early 20th century and has never failed to have a legal Thursday night meeting. Death does not release you from membership, just takes you off the mailing list. Many of the greats grew into their carrears with the club. We'd moved out of LA but drove up for meetings as often as we could.

That night, I think it was an October night, the clubhouse was jammed. Rumor was someone suprising was coming. We didn't know this, we just decided to go. Then the meeting was interrupted, and closed early. Robert Heinlein had come. He was a member as a flegling writer up to his rise as one of the masters, but he seldom came later. He was in his 80's I think, post most of his novels, and was in good health again.

Everyone got to say hello. Due to arthritus he couldn't do autographs, but he was enjoying himself. Even the top people in the club were like fanboys since you didn't get a master of science fiction coming to the club too often.

I also went to the Atlanta worldcon when Ray Bradberry agreed to speak. He refused to fly, so he was driven or would take a train. We were half way across a large room but it was amazing to see him. I think it was the only worldcon he ever attended and had a very good time.

Fandom is a society within our big impersonal society which may come across as strange to some, but the door is always open to visit. After I moved I went to a con in OKC, knew absolutely nobody, but it felt like I did. I came upon a party with people involved in volunteer staff duties, which I had done, and it was like I'd known them already.

If you haven't before, look up a small to medium sized con near home and go, and you'll love it.
I've done the big-show thing before. Yes, they're interesting.

But it's still rather cool when a young cashier can make an obscure reference to time travel, a much older customer can say, "My blue box is in the parking lot" and they both share an enjoyment of the moment.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Star Trek is more my taste but I am happy for Star Wars fans 'cause they have the new movie.
I'd like to see a new ST movie!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Sorry, I didn't know about the spoiler box (or that my statement was really a spoiler since the plot was obvious almost from the beginning).
I don't believe your statement was a spoiler. You were giving your opinion and not a plot reveal.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:34 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
VHS? Are they still being produced?
No. VHS ended in 2008. Betamax ends this coming Spring. (And that's the tape itself - commercial distribution ended earlier.)

Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody else not getting this Star-wars nonsense?
I remember 30+ years ago walking out to the theater lobby to take a break from the stuff on the screen.
You're not alone. I took my baby brother to the original Star Wars when he was 7 because all his friends were talking about it and he really wanted to see it. We took the bus because I had no driver's license yet. I simply couldn't believe how dopey and corny it was. My baby brother liked it, but honestly I would have walked out of the theater if I weren't responsible for him.

It baffles me why people like it so much. Over the years, I've been taken to see other movies in the series by boyfriends and later my husband. Not my cup of tea at all.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Star Trek is more my taste but I am happy for Star Wars fans 'cause they have the new movie.
Bada Bing, so would my wife she is a Star Trek junkie and loves marathons on tv.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I have to admit, I was fairly shocked to see "VHS" in a post on here.

I don't remember what wife and I done with our old VHS (store bought) movies, but we sure don't have them anymore. 10+ years ago, we had my MIL's old VCR and I hooked it up to both our old tv and a new DVD Player/Recorder we use to have. We had a number of "homemade" VHS tapes that I transferred onto DVD's, using that PLayer/Recorder. After that, we gave that VCR to the Goodwill. Now have a new Blue-Ray DVD Player and it's fantastic. Goes great with our Sound Bar and HD 46" TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
VHS? Are they still being produced? Who would buy movies not in DVD or Bluray formats?

I am in the process of converting old families VHS tapes into DVD and could not believe how poor VHS quality was.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

Its coming. (Although Im not a big fan of the last 2.) ST Beyond I think is what its called.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Wife and I seen it this last Saturday in a Digital 3-D theater. First thing we noticed was that there weren't many "Baby Boomers" in our theater. Also noticed, only a few Star Wars related t-shirts worn, however, it was fairly chilly outside. My wife wore her Star Wars t-shirt over a long-sleeved top, but I wore a regular long-sleeved shirt.

The movie was "ok"-to-good", but we are still "big time" Episodes 4, 5 and 6 fans. We both want to see it again, when it comes out on dvd rental for tv. Then we will decide if we want it in our home collection.

We also agreed that a number of Trailers we looked at, were not in the movie.

Bottom Line..........it was "ok".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement