Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,194,334 times

Advertisements

I agree with what Nell Potts said, in Post # 56.

Since your son is about to graduate, the time to look for a new job with health insurance benefits is now! Yes, perhaps you and your son may car-pool [that is the only reason I can think of as to why it may be useful to be near his school, but that can be changed. Alternative transportation opportunities can be found.

You need to find employment that has health insurance available or look for an ACA plan and pay for it. The group plan through an employer should be less expensive. You can also buy it through an Insurance Agent if you are a pretty healthy person.

Sometimes change can be invigorating! It is finding the job which is challenging, especially for someone older. But it does happen all the time. Talk to people you know -- find out where they work and if their job offers insurance. Look around carefully, and think outside the box in your job search.

You are very fortunate that you have this window of time to look and interview for a position. Not everyone has this blessing. And when you do find a new position, take the job - give them the proper two weeks notice and nothing more.

Good luck to you! I have a hunch you will do just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 01:59 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,766,012 times
The OP stated they've had counseling as a couple before, they may want to go back into therapy to work this out with a third party's help. They aren't communicating effectively.

The advice being given to get another job with health insurance for a 55 year old, like it's no big deal, is disingenuous. How many posts and threads are about ageism and the inability to secure a job, let alone one with insurance, at the OP's age?

Old 09-30-2017, 02:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
My mother found an office job with benefits at age 50 or 55 after not having worked in a workplace since age 21!

She was a homemaker/housewife for 30 years previous to finding the job.

It can be done. Though, of course, not everyone is successful with finding a job.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-30-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,555,756 times
Have you checked to see if his retirement package includes any healthcare benefits (not COBRA)? I wouldn't necessarily depend on him to provide the answers. Also, don't sign anything before fully understanding what it's about. Depending on the benefits, you could be signing off on your rights.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am almost 56. We do not have kids together. My son's father carries him on his policy.
My spouse will be 66 in May so will be going on Medicare.

and yeah, I am not happy about this either. Although it is no surprise that my spouse is this selfish.....after being together for 15 years now and married for 11 of those years I keep hoping that that part would change but that is just me being an optimist.
Alright, you need to apply for insurance for yourself, and hope you can afford it. We were on ACA for a few years before Medicare, and at the time, the subsidy made it affordable. Now, I hear it has morphed into a nightmare, but if there are still subsidies, you might be able to afford it. If you are as poor as you say, you might qualify for Medicaid.

Your husband sounds like a real charmer.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,843,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I'm sorry, but from reading this it would appear you have bigger issues than where to get insurance. What a selfish d**k. My daughter found something with the ACA for around $130 a month. Granted, it's very basic but better than your current alternative.
Thank you Ron, I am going to look into "The Marketplace" for ACA see what my options are. I just wish that this person who claims to love me would say "Hey, I know you will be without Health insurance when I retire so lets see what your options are and we will see how much it costs. Then we can work out how to afford it for you because I don't want you to be without insurance"
That is how it Should have gone last night when we talked.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
so I took up the OP's offer to read her previous posts - I am retired and just waiting for an appointment.

Anyway - they had discussed this in the past and she said she would have to keep working and get her own insurance.

"I will probably have to find a job in Florida when we move just so we can have health insurance"

So they were once on the same page - I guess. Maybe reality is hitting him? She seems okay with it?
That is true, however, after looking into what kind of jobs are there....it'll be a crap shoot. LOL

Old 09-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The OP needs to purchase health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) also called Obamacare.

The rest of this long discussion is somewhat senseless. Criticizing her husband, the state of her marriage, and suggesting divorce does not seem helpful at all - and she said she is not interested in divorce!!

I think suggesting divorce is way off the rails - especially when the OP says she loves her husband and definitely doesn't want a divorce.

If she does not purchase health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), then she needs to try to find a job that provides health insurance.

Another alternative, though not a very good one - many cities have free health clinics for people without insurance where they charge very minimal fees, often free or on a minimal sliding scale. This does not, of course, cover catastrophic medical events, but covers other smaller medical problems. Milwaukee may have one or two of these clinics (doctors volunteer their time). Minneapolis has had two of them.

Also per dental care, cities like Milwaukee usually have very low cost dental care at a university which provides DDS dentistry degrees. Minneapolis (University of Minnesota) has this service connected with their dentistry degree program.

Minnesota has been providing another health insurance option. I haven't checked Wisconsin, but I will do so later today for you.

(Also the OP seems to be financially dependent upon her husband in other ways. He pays for the mortgage and many other expenses. A woman who is financially dependent upon her husband needs to work with whatever he provides. The amount of money she has of her own is unclear. Yes, I know she has a job and a salary. Financial dependence often governs what options a woman has in her life.)

(I'm not clear on whether her husband will be provided health insurance in his retirement by the job he is retiring from, in addition to Medicare (And apparently, if so, his wife & a child that is not his will obviously not also be covered by that job-provided insurance in his retirement) (P.S. an insurance agent can also help you in your purchase)

Thank you for your information. Very helpful and logical

Old 09-30-2017, 02:38 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June. We talked last night about it and I said that I would be without Health, dental and vision once the retirement happens because I am on spouses insurance at work. My employer (small company) does not offer insurance. My spouse's response was "Oh well, I guess you'll have to go without, get a different job or find a way to pay for private insurance".
I like where I work, what I do and the fact that my place of employment is near my youngest child's HS. (He will be graduating next May)
I don't know how much private insurance costs. I already can't pay for any extra due to the bills I already pay and I am trying to pay off some debt as well.
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? How did you or they deal with it?
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
None of this could have been a surprise to you. You knew he was going to be retiring, and going on Medicare. You havent mentioned how much he will be making after retirement, but its very possible that with all that he is paying for, and will still be paying for after retirement, that he just can't afford another bill.

Truthfully, you need to take some responsibility for this. You were on his health plan for years, you had to know that would be coming to an end soon.

You've been given a lot of options. Actually his response of "go without, get a different job, or find a way to pay for private insurance" about sums it up. You dont want to change your job, you are trying to pay off other debt; its up to you to decide whats more important.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I agree with what Nell Potts said, in Post # 56.

Since your son is about to graduate, the time to look for a new job with health insurance benefits is now! Yes, perhaps you and your son may car-pool [that is the only reason I can think of as to why it may be useful to be near his school, but that can be changed. Alternative transportation opportunities can be found.

You need to find employment that has health insurance available or look for an ACA plan and pay for it. The group plan through an employer should be less expensive. You can also buy it through an Insurance Agent if you are a pretty healthy person.

Sometimes change can be invigorating! It is finding the job which is challenging, especially for someone older. But it does happen all the time. Talk to people you know -- find out where they work and if their job offers insurance. Look around carefully, and think outside the box in your job search.

You are very fortunate that you have this window of time to look and interview for a position. Not everyone has this blessing. And when you do find a new position, take the job - give them the proper two weeks notice and nothing more.

Good luck to you! I have a hunch you will do just fine!
Thank you HollyhockGarden!

I actually might be able to get a job closer to home once my son graduates (or I guess I could do it before he graduates) His Dad and I share custody of him and he is in Milwaukee and I live 35minutes west of Milwaukee.

Somehow, it just has to work out. That is where my optimist view kicks in LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement