Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:59 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the flu shot they give you is designed for the area. No mention made for radius of miles. Not that I've heard anyways. Has it been stated? If so, please tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
WOW, I'm sorry you guys are so sick! I thought as we aged, we became more and more immune to colds and flu as we have built up so much immunity over our lives. Never had a flu shot and haven't had a cold or flu in ages. Probably just luck of the draw, or lack of exposure....

Be well, all!

Old 01-28-2018, 06:03 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Exactly; that is why I posted the former question (thread) about immunity to flu vs work exposure. Apparently the feedback I got in that thread was not very conclusive.

Sending best wishes to the posters here- hope you all get better soon!!!

Old 01-28-2018, 06:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've heard that the flu shot they give you is designed for the area. No mention made for radius of miles. Not that I've heard anyways. Has it been stated? If so, please tell.
It's for the entire northern hemisphere.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 AM

587 posts, read 225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah
Just got out of the hospital after four days with the flu. Came home with a bag of drugs and feeling like a limp noodle drowning in heavy cream sauce.

Don’t get this misery if possible. Everyone take care of yourselves.
I am so sorry you dont feel well.....

I hope ya get better very soon

Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Thanks so much to the poster who replied anonymously on how to quote multiple people in a post. I'm sure I never looked down at the bottom and wondered what all those other symbols were!

I have decided to ignore my cough and start getting more active - after 4 days lounging around, mostly in bed, some not, but certainly not leaving the house. It certainly wasn't the flu but I didn't want to take any chances. Slowly getting better. What a year this has been for respiratory stuff!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I think the one you described is some sort of a flutter device. The objective is to create a vibration in your airways, which helps move mucus up and out. We use one at my hospital that our patients lovingly refer to as "the pickle" (because it's green) or, in the case of one elderly Spanish lady, "el gatito", the kitten, because the noise it makes sounds kind of like a purr. (I'm a respiratory therapist, BTW. )
Pickle-purred. That’s a very good description. I just got through playing with mine. So much fun. But it does help. That and the smiley face thingy. I wonder how those clever people come up with these things.

And back to my clunky nebulizer. I want the built-in-the-wall device like the hospitals have. So much quicker. LOL. Think my landlord would go for it?

Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 AM

66 posts, read 31,788 times
The CDC puts out reports. Looks like there are 6 different strains of flu active this year..some mild and some more virulent.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Old 01-28-2018, 08:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tams3757 View Post
The CDC puts out reports. Looks like there are 6 different strains of flu active this year..some mild and some more virulent.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
Yes and no. There are four, plus A (subtyping not performed), meaning it could be H1N1, H3N2 [most likely but not a sure thing], or some other type of A, and B (subtyping not performed) ditto.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I Want to mention here how grateful I am for all the get well wishes. They are really helping me feel better. I tried to thank everyone individually so I am sorry if I missed anybody.

I wound up in the hospital for four days because I have a permanent compromised immune system due to Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. That plus my age means I’m a perfect storm for this type of particularly nasty bug. One look at my medical history at the ER and they said, “Off you go!”

So I don’t want people to worry that if they are healthy and exposed they will meet the same fate. Just keep taking care of yourselves but don’t ignore a persistent fever and or cough if you get one. That’s what the docs told me were the two most important signs to watch out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement