Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 AM

1,500 posts, read 886,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have been on a chicken salad binge!

I had several packages of chicken in the fridge, so cooked those up.

A lady at church gave me a bag of cranberries. Those taste so good in the salad. This warm weather is great for salads.

I put the rest of the cranberries in the freezer and will make sauce for thanksgiving.
OMG...I wish someone would give me a bag of cranberries!, I have also been on a binge of fresh sliced turkey from the deli, with cranberry sauce I make myself....makes a tasty sandwich...toast the bread so sauce does soak the bread! Haven’t found cranberries in months..not even frozen...

Funny how our tastes can be cyclical like the weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 05:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$100/ month goes in the food envelope. (Since 1980). When it runs dry.... Get creative. ( Open the chest freezer, go get samples at Costco, go volunteer at a homeless shelter, glean from growers, go to church potluck). We eat very healthy, lots of fresh veggies, salmon, and Costco chickens (20 servings per bird) soups, salad, burrito...
seriously?

you go to Costco for free samples?...who does that?...and if you can get 20 servings from a Costco chicken you must be a mouse..

Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
seriously?

you go to Costco for free samples?...who does that?

People with a lot of free time and patience, apparently. I knew someone who did this. Most of what they sample at Costco are foods I don't want to eat.

Quote:
..and if you can get 20 servings from a Costco chicken you must be a mouse..

Or a cat. Our elderly cat loves Costco chicken and would eat it all the time if we let her. We can't, because once she gets a nibble of it, she refuses to eat anything else. What do they put in that chicken, meth?

Old 08-01-2019, 07:29 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
My local grocery stores are mostly terrible. I do most of my shopping at Walmart or Sam's, with Kroger being my main grocery store and a bit at a regional grocer.

I'd say about $250 a month at the grocery store. I mostly eat breakfast and probably 3/5 lunches a week at home. Maybe half my dinners and less on the weekend.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
seriously?

you go to Costco for free samples?...who does that?...and if you can get 20 servings from a Costco chicken you must be a mouse..
I get around three meals out a Costco/Sam's bird. Wings/legs and maybe two meals out of the breast. I eat a lot, but even my 20 year old cat wouldn't get twenty meals out of that bird.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I make a crockpot

Crockpots use a huge amount of electricity, plus they heat up the whole house.

I use an 8 quart Presto pressure cooker with a portable induction cooktop, which is fast, easy and convenient.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post

I use an 8 quart Presto pressure cooker with a portable induction cooktop, which is fast, easy and convenient.
Mine doesn’t. But I can use it outside even.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I must be the only person who has no idea how much I spend on groceries in a month. I have never really tracked it.

I spend more money than some people on certain things; for example, I have a nice, new grocery store that has all sorts of pre-cooked foods. They have meal deals, and one of them is four vegetables that you can choose from about a dozen, already pre-cooked and sometimes with certain seasonings (spinach with garlic, for example, and carrots with sweet chili sauce). I'll get that four-vegetable meal deal for $7.00, but I will eat it three times, either as just veggies for lunch or with a piece of fish or something. I know some who people will leap up and shriek about how you can make it cheaper at home, but I'm not going to waste my time cooking a large amount of four different vegetables just for myself to save a dollar or two, so it's worth it to me to buy the cooked food. It's not always about clutching onto the last penny for me. I weigh the savings of both time AND money. I do buy most things on sale otherwise.

On the other hand, I waste very little. If I cook something, I will eat the leftovers the next day or day after that.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:

They do NOT heat up the whole house - rubbish.

I use mine all the time in the kitchen for potroasts - totally rubbish.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:

I don't know what kind of crockpot you have, but mine does not heat up the kitchen, let alone the rest of the house. I use it quite a lot in the summer, because I do not want to use the oven.

The Costco chickens are handy for a convenience meal, we get about 4 meals out of one, plus sometimes stock from the carcass. But I do not consider them a cheap meal, because you can buy raw chicken for under a buck a pound, & you will have a lot more chicken, for the, $4.99, if you cook it yourself. But they are an occasional treat for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement