Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just got back from our first cross country RV trip (Maryland to CA). You really can't appreciate how large the US is until you drive it coast to coast, amazing!!! The Redwood/Sequoia trees of California are something everyone should experience before they croak, simply beautiful beyond words. Standing at the base of a 2000+ year old tree gives one a very different perspective on life. If you haven't done so, my serious advice is to do so. It is worth the effort.
Having stood beneath a few such trees up here in Washington State, I simply have to agree. Pretty humbling.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Got dh to install a shelf and towel rod in our 2nd bathroom. Washed the inside windows, well some of them. Now I'm having a tea and CD break, again.

Found out my sister has booked her flight and will be spending all of September with us. (as a new retiree).
That should be a great time!! So much company! Fun times!!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Just got back from our first cross country RV trip (Maryland to CA). You really can't appreciate how large the US is until you drive it coast to coast, amazing!!! The Redwood/Sequoia trees of California are something everyone should experience before they croak, simply beautiful beyond words. Standing at the base of a 2000+ year old tree gives one a very different perspective on life. If you haven't done so, my serious advice is to do so. It is worth the effort.
How did you like the RVing? Was this your first trip ever or just the first since you retired? I've often thought it might be fun to do this, but am a little worried about the "forced togetherness" with my SO. I love him dearly but we also need our own space or we'd drive each other nuts.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
How did you like the RVing? Was this your first trip ever or just the first since you retired? I've often thought it might be fun to do this, but am a little worried about the "forced togetherness" with my SO. I love him dearly but we also need our own space or we'd drive each other nuts.
This was my first RV experience and I loved it! My DW had extensive RV experience in her former life. I was likewise concerned about the 24/7 togetherness situation and thought it might be a hassle but found it to be an non-issue. Our RV (a 2010 Airstream Interstate 23' Class B) is one step up from the smallest RV you can get. We also took our two standard Poodles with us so we fairly well fit a profile of "how small/crowded can you get ). Much to my happy realization, the day to day living was not a hassle at all.

We visited family on the west coast for several days and also did a fair amount of sightseeing on the way out. Our return trip was more of a blitz driving gig, although the drive down the west coast 101 was a pleasure in itself. Day to day traveling was a mix of driving and sightseeing, with more than few separate trips by one of us to see something of particular interest to one of us independently. We often did a "drop-off", i.e., were the wife or I would deposit one another at some attraction we individually wanted to see but not of interest to the other person and they went off to see something else or just chill with the dogs.

We have both intersecting and diverse interests and the ability to accommodate that worked really well. We each had lots of alone time, whether visiting an attraction or simply quiet reading at a campground by one's self while the other party did something else. It made for a very enjoyable trip. We had each pre-planned our list of personally attractions (separate from the do together ones) and it was really handy to have your personal chauffeur on call. We both prefer some alone time and it worked out quite well.

Overall, I'm a convert to RVing and look forward to many more happy trips. My advice is to try it. The US/Canada (I would include Mexico if it ever stops the violence. As a former Marine/Viet Nam combat veteran, I'm not interested in having to be concerned with extreme personal security issues) are HUGE and have an innumerable number of really interesting things to see. I should add that the vast majority of RV folks seem to be very friendly and interesting people to meet. You will meet folks from every walk of life and background and it provides a fascinating cross-section of people.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-02-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Thanks for the trip report. This is something I think I want to do but it is such an expensive mistake if I'm wrong. I also think the class b would be best and might just be best to replace my car.

I have found some people to be great travelers and others are just awful. Sounds like you and wife are in the good category - considerate and not whiney.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
That should be a great time!! So much company! Fun times!!
Aye, and I don't have to ask a 'boss' for time off!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Tesaje: I would recommend that you do a rental before buying to try it out. Also, as a former professional number's cruncher, buying used is a much better idea cost/benefit wise if you can find a suitable unit. I purchased a new unit because it fit my requirements and I couldn't find an acceptable used one, but definitely recommend used if it works for you.

There is a huge Internet available market for used rigs and you may be able to find one that suits you after a rental experience and a decision that its right for you. Depreciation on RVs is significant, the best available data I could find (and I researched this topic to death!) is as follows:

New unit good purchase price should be at least 20% under MSRP:
Depreciation for virtually all types of (there are exceptions) RVs looks like this:
1st year - 18%, 2nd 10%, 3rd - 7%, 4th & 5th - 6%. That data is courtesy of a long time RVer (and former IBM exec, Frank Gummersall) that I independently researched and confirmed to be accurate.

Your ideal rig cost/benefit wise is a 3 year old, low mileage, well cared for unit. Maintenance records, no accident history and buying a higher end unit is your best bet. Hope that helps, best of luck to you.

PS - we found the Class B to be so handy for daily trips around town that we sold our second car.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM

And that is exactly why I don't want to jump in without being sure. Finding a B to rent is just about impossible. Finding one to test drive has proven very difficult. And if I could find one to rent, it is super expensive. I am solvent enough to do this but solvent enough for it to be a big mistake. Such is my dilema.

But first comes all the sprucing work on house. :-)

Last edited by Tesaje; 06-02-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: random keystrokes

Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
And that is exactly why I don't want to jump in without being sure. Finding a B to rent is just about impossible. Finding one to test drive has proven very difficult. And if I could find one to rent, it is super expensive. I am solvent enough to do this but solvent enough for it to be a big mistake. Such is my dilema.

But first comes all the sprucing work on house. :-)
I'm not well versed on the B rental market but would expect that test driving a new unit is quite simple from any dealer. I did so extensively for all the major brands before my purchase decision. I understand that RV rental costs are fairly high but in consideration of the capital expense in purchasing (and related depreciation costs), I still suggest that its well advised to rent before buying.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM

B
Quote:
I'm not well versed on the B rental market but would expect that test driving a new unit is quite simple from any dealer. I did so extensively for all the major brands before my purchase decision. I understand that RV rental costs are fairly high but in consideration of the capital expense in purchasing (and related depreciation costs), I still suggest that its well advised to rent before buying.
You would think so but it appears B dealers are no where near. Other RV types are easy to find but not B's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement