Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 PM

305 posts, read 294,968 times

Advertisements

It is our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
These men were not waiting for relatives to finish shopping. They were all my themselves just killing time.

I believe that many people who are retired are not suited for not working and tend to withdraw and are not interested in organized activites. My Dad was like that. He would not get involved in organized activites at the senior center and spent all his time sitting around feeling sorry for himself.

Is this retirement for many people?
I'm 79 and I don't like to go to the Senior whatever. Too dang many old folks.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:04 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
There looking at the women.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I am happily married and I still look when we go to malls. What is wrong with men looking briefly at beautiful women? The day I stop looking is probably the day the stethoscope does not pick up any breathing sounds.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I am happily married and I still look when we go to malls. What is wrong with men looking briefly at beautiful women? The day I stop looking is probably the day the stethoscope does not pick up any breathing sounds.
My wife and I retired to Maui. I go to the beach a lot for surfing, swimming, paddling. The bathing suits women wear in Maui are basically just a string. After a while it's no big deal to see but it is hard to miss. There are a fair number of older/retired folks who come to the beach every day with their beach chairs and hang out. Pretty much the same crowd. They might surf a bit but mostly they sit around and talk story. They seem to be having fun; I go and chit chat with them a bit but I can't just sit and do nothing for very long so I either surf or go home and work in the yard. We have other retired friends here who don't go to the beach but are active in other ways - painting, gardening, etc. Can't say I know anybody who hangs out in the mall.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I only go to a mall about twice a year. However, I walk my dog around the neighborhood almost every day, and almost every evening, my husband and I will walk her on a park or nature trail -- there are many large ones close to where we live, so we vary where we go -- and it bothers me how many old men I see walking entirely by themselves. We always wonder if they are divorced or widowed or their wives just don't want to walk with them. In any case, we think it is very sad.

Btw, it seems that when we do see women walking, 90% of the time they are walking with a dog or another woman (or group of women), or they are pushing a stroller; and we hardly ever see two men walking together -- running, yes, but not just walking -- so I wonder if women just generally tend to be more social.

Also btw, we see a LOT of old men and women running or bicycling on the trails by themselves -- some appear to even be in their 80's -- and I truly do admire them.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-16-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
IMHO, a lot of these men have boring retirements because they continue to let the wife run their life. I've lost track of the elderly women who basically live their lives through their grandchildren, or care for their grandchildren, or just want to live close to the grandchildren. So because the wife calls the shots at home, he ends up cowtowing to what she says and she wants, and so its no surprise he's miserable. I used to see some of these guys in the morning during my bike. They have a big fancy house, they are retired, and are out by themselves, walking their wives little ankle biter. Yes, there are a lot of lonely bored retired men in America, but a lot of it is brought on by themselves.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
At our local upscale shopping mall, we see plenty of seniors but in the early morning, before stores are even open, walking around for exercise. In our wet climate it's a lot more comfortable than walking outdoors in the rain. Most of the time the biggest demographic at the mall is 14-16 year old girls. We recently learned to save money by having nice dinners out during happy hours, and discovered that at 64/63 we are among the younger people at the restaurants at that time (5-6pm).

Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Amazing how some believe they can read other's minds and come to a conclusion as to exactly what their lives are like.

They see seniors in a mall, or a grocery store, or wherever and if they aren't skipping and singing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" they automatically 'know' those are miserable, lonely retired people.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:53 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Amazing how some believe they can read other's minds and come to a conclusion as to exactly what their lives are like.

They see seniors in a mall, or a grocery store, or wherever and if they aren't skipping and singing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" they automatically 'know' those are miserable, lonely retired people.

Thats what I was thinking...nothing wrong with going to the mall alone...if its not your thing, then dont do it...doesnt mean other people cant enjoy doing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement