Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDaniels View Post
I live there. There are very old house and are some very new houses. The older ones are in need of a lot of repair (think shag carpet and pink tubs). The news ones like the parade of homes are extreme with everything one can think of...two have pools inside and waterfalls that come from about 15 feet in the air to the pool. You really have a mixed bag of houses and lots sizes there. Not all nice and not all bad.
This is exactly correct. The houses run the gamut. There are a lot of the garden homes and older ones throughout that need a WHOLE lot of updating or rehabs. But there are also some amazing estates in there that are as nice as any house you'll ever see. I've put clients into some of each.

Very eclectic community. All different styles of houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
A golf course and a bunch of cul-de-sacs with medium and large houses. Whoopee!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
Honestly, the Dominion is fastly being left in the dust with everything that's being built around that area. From Anaqua Springs to Cresta Bella to a slew of other high end developments. The Dominion was the first and was able to enjoy the unshared success but now that is over.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
For construction quality, the Alamo Heights/Olmos Park/Terrell Hills area is the best San Antonio has to offer. Yes, it may look a bit Bohemian and natural, but defintely the homes there are of higher quality.

Old money vs new money. In terms of prestige and elegance a few of the houses in the '09 area are quite beautiful. Not anyone can just move in where they please in some of those areas as well for some of the sellers are very choosy on who they will sell too.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
I would give my eyeteeth to live in Olmos Park. Mmmhmmm. Keep your fancy Dominion. I want an old home in an old established neighborhood.

When I hit the lotto, look out Olmos Park! This central Illinois farm girl hick is moving in!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
I've rented in The Dominion. It was a for-sale showcase home that needed a temporary tenant with nice furniture who didn't mind a perspective sale coming through every now and then. I was there for about 9 months.

I like how secure the subdivision felt, but at the end of the day, that's exactly what it was: Another, albeit expensive, subdivision. It was far-removed (at the time) from city life, supermarkets, etc. In the past 10 years, it's gotten much more affordable to live and buy there thanks to several sections of garden homes and condos going up. While there will always be that contingent of gaudy, uncouth, new-money that lives there (and makes it more than apparent at any given opportunity), there is also a fantastic group of folks at Dominion who are cheerful, warm and great neighbors.

As with anything in life, you get what you give

BN

Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM

14 posts, read 33,881 times
I actually have a relative who lives there. I have been going there for the 7 years he's lived there. It's a very nice neighborhood and I absolutely love his house. The people are very friendly and for the most part, everyone minds their own business... The golf course and country club are also top notch.

If people work hard and are blessed to be able to afford to live there, then who are we to judge? I think there is a lot of jealousy in SA towards people who work hard and have nice things. Let's not forget the tremendous amount of tax revenues that area generates for the City Of San Antonio.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
About 1/2 doz. times for a few parties and dinners.

The guarded entry is nice, but don't overlook the possibility and actual occurrences of neighbor on neighbor crime. All that I have heard is about teens testing limits; vandalism, theft and robbery.

I have not seen a home with an unkempt yard or exterior, which is nice in any neighborhood when your neighbors have the income/time/ability/desire to keep up with the landscaping, painting, siding etc.

As far as the homes, most are made for entertaining so I am surprised when I visit one that really is not set up for entertaining. I was there over the 4th and the main dining room could probably not hold more than 10 comfortably. It had an average pantry and storage space.

I don't believe that the club is free to homeowners. I think I recall hearing it was 25K or 35K per year.

All in all, is is nice, well kept, pretty secure, some lovely views, most homes are a bit close together and the area is a bit off the beaten path for my tastes. There are some awesome neighborhoods closer to "town" IMO that have just as much wealth and a bit more character.

Last edited by cr1039; 07-21-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: changed "on" to "one" - SP

Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
What I really want to see is inside some of the houses around Mockingbird Lane/Songbird Lane/Tupelo Rd/Chambers Rd. Now those are spectacular!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
What I really want to see is inside some of the houses around Mockingbird Lane/Songbird Lane/Tupelo Rd/Chambers Rd. Now those are spectacular!
I know, right? Living right here practically in the medical center, that is a drive my husband and I love to take. I'd even like to see inside those condos (whose name I've spaced on) that are right there just past Lyndy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio