Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
So, I wonder does this mean we are not getting our theater on 1604 off Potranco? I have been waiting for the darn thing since we moved here.
Although, I suppose the 151/Potranco area wouldn't be too far.
I don't get it, maybe we are or maybe we aren't. Santikos still lists Potranco/1604 as the area. I'm done with speculating. I hope they just keep the area around our house full of trees and nature. Though, my hubby said he would rather see things he could use. He said they will probably just keep building empty strip malls, nail salons, pizza places, and storage places. blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 PM

41 posts, read 108,846 times
Default I remember doing that too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I am a Jay grad so I get very nostalgic when thinking of that area. I remember walking to the Mall to get a slice of pizza just outside Target and then going to Robotar dodging the recruiters who were like hound dogs.
Ahh memories. Man how times have changed huh?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 PM

29 posts, read 53,494 times
Default Problems near Stephens HS too many to count

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
So what does everyone think is going to happen on Potranco and the school zone issue? I had heard on the news last week that students at Stevens had been writing letters to city council to make a school zone on Potranco (my guess is between Ellison and Dugas)? If I remember correctly, I think the district was also looking in to it too.
Seems it takes a kid getting hit to get a school zone on a busy street near a high school. Same thing happened when a kid got hit/killed at 410/Ingram near Holmes a couple of years ago.

The first mistake is building a school on a major thoroughfare and expecting kids to exercise adult sensibility and expecting drivers to be attentive and cautious.

For kids who must cross Potranco to get to Stephens, there should be prominent -- well-lit and well-marked -- crosswalks at Dugas and at Ellison. Make them look like school crosswalks! Today they look like any other intersection in a town that hates to walk anywhere.

Part of the problem is that on long stretches of Potranco -- including right in front of the school -- there are no sidewalks! Kids from neighborhoods up and down Potranco are forced to walk through weeds that are almost as tall as they are. Many cities have laws that require sidewalks on any street leading to a school. The city, the developers and the school districts all seem to think it's not their job to make sure that happens here. The community needs to fight for this.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,335,117 times
Between Dugas and Ellison would be the longest school zone I've ever heard of. I am glad I don't go that way to work anymore.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
hello, I tried doing a search on this thread, but I cant find it- I know I read about a place close to military/lackland area that served soul food-or home cooking type of food- any one know what I am talking about?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
mama Lee's on Valley-Hi. They were reviewed in a recent SA Current and the reviews were great!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,271 times
I suppose it would be impractical from a cost perspective but, why don't they build a pedistrian bridge over Potranco across from the school. I know that doesn't solve the problem w/ the sidewalks (which is ridiculous) but there are enough people trying to cross Potranco in that area that it seems warranted.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
mama Lee's on Valley-Hi. They were reviewed in a recent SA Current and the reviews were great!

That's it!! I'm gonna try to talk hubby into a big fat lunch--YUM!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,424,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I love that place! Great food!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
AWESOME food...probably really busy today for lunch since it is Friday and lots of offices on Lackland do "off site" lunches on Friday...but worth it for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio