Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM

242 posts, read 665,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'll never understand why they punish the good people for the mistakes of the stupid..
My daughter was a friend of Christian's, and has been very upset by comments like this. I trust that you have never, ever, in you entire life crossed mid-street - otherwise, you are including yourself in your categorization....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I've called myself stupid many times before and I'm sure that will continue well into the future. Punishing the people that are going to work or school is not the solution. This should've served as a wakeup call to everyone that was trying to illegally cross a very busy road.
Anyhow, this was all well covered in a thread created for this subject. I think that ended with something like we're all stupid at times and we need to learn from others mistakes.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
My point with getting their attention would mean that they would stop jaywalking. I am still seeing it by students after Christians death. At this point you think that would stop.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I would like to clarify my earlier post because it didn't come out the way I wanted. That boy seemed to be a pretty good kid and he made a dumb mistake. I meant to say that things shouldn't be done to fix dumb mistakes, because no matter what, people will find a way to do dumb things. Things should instead be done to fix the deficiencies of the people who make dumb mistakes.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
This is Monterrey Village.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3...nterryvmv2.png

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8...terryv2kl0.png

I ask if it's going there because there's a building in the site plan that looks like a big gym with an outdoor pool.
I think you must be right! It says fitness center. There's also a theater being put in, you don't think it's the santikos theater, do you? So, basically whatever was going to be at Potranco/1604 is now going to be at Potranco 151, or Monterrey village if you want to call it that? This isn't such a bad thing. Traffic will be lighter out our way then.

Last edited by mojokitty; 10-21-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amye1158 View Post
My daughter was a friend of Christian's, and has been very upset by comments like this. I trust that you have never, ever, in you entire life crossed mid-street - otherwise, you are including yourself in your categorization....
I'm sorry for your daughters loss. I don't think we are trying to say that we have never crossed mid-street, the fact is, kids are STILL crossing mid street. I saw kids doing this THE DAY OF the accident. I know you think that kids are learning from this tragedy, but I'm afraid that they aren't. It's too dangerous for the kids, the drivers, etc.

I think if they would punish the kids who are doing this, then MAYBE they would be more careful. I know one night, we went to first friday, and people were getting ticketed left and right for "jay walking" (crossing mid-street). I'll tell ya, once people got word of it, less people were doing it. It was a pain, but it helped the situation. Just something to think about. Of course, now this would fall under the police's justification of being a "non-emergency situation" and they probably wouldn't be there to help out.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Maybe a good time to remind both the drivers in the area as well as the parents of the kids that attend school in the area that we all need to look out for each other all the time. That would be a nice way to honor the young man who died...to have his passing serve as a reminder of how quickly any accident can happen and hopefully keep it from happening again.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Maybe a good time to remind both the drivers in the area as well as the parents of the kids that attend school in the area that we all need to look out for each other all the time. That would be a nice way to honor the young man who died...to have his passing serve as a reminder of how quickly any accident can happen and hopefully keep it from happening again.
Paka, I think that's a lovely thought. I don't think it's going to change anything though. There are still going to be drivers out there who race up and down Potranco, and there are still going to be kids that think it's funny to run across the street. Technically, it is illegal to run across mid street...therefore the pedestrian is actually at fault. That's why I agree with the idea of punishing the people who do this. It will just make things safer.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 PM

358 posts, read 821,629 times
It's very interesting to read the posts on this tragic accident. Many of the posts confirm what I have noticed more and more in our society over the last several years - a reluctance to admit that someone was irresponsible simply because their irresponsibility resulted in their injury or death. Meaning, we allow our sympathy to make us look for someone else, anyone else, to blame, rather than blame the victim, whose own fault it was. There are, I think, many reasons for this trend, not the least of which is incessant advertising everywhere by plaintiff's attorneys (although my point is not to bash them, just a huge factor, IMO). I read an article online a few days ago that makes the point in a most emphatic way - it was woman who appeared on Oprah to talk about how she "forgot" to drop her young child off at daycare and left her in the car all day while she was at work - the little girl died. Many of the comments posted were of the nature "it could happen to anyone" or "she had so much on her plate you can understand how she could have forgotten", etc. etc. It's time to be honest, folks, and hold people accountable for their actions. This can be done in a compassionate way, with empathy and sympathy, but foisting the blame off on others is not the right thing to do and weakens society. This boy who was killed, it was his own fault, sad to say. He got the ultimate "punishment" for being irresponsible. I feel very badly for his family and friends, but let's not look to blame others or "punish" others for his mistake.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I think you must be right! It says fitness center. There's also a theater being put in, you don't think it's the santikos theater, do you? So, basically whatever was going to be at Potranco/1604 is now going to be at Potranco 151, or Monterrey village if you want to call it that? This isn't such a bad thing. Traffic will be lighter out our way then.
So, I wonder does this mean we are not getting our theater on 1604 off Potranco? I have been waiting for the darn thing since we moved here.
Although, I suppose the 151/Potranco area wouldn't be too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio