Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
These kids are now ON VACATION and not quarantined and off the street! The Rim is packed as well as the Quarry. Guess who is at the movies and being vectors?

What idiots have shut down their communities and basically sent these potential carriers outside their localities to spread the disease?
Is your point that The Rim, The Quarry and all local movie theaters should be shut down, too? I don't follow your logic of "quarantining" kids in schools when kids in school would still spend the 16 hours of the day they're not in school in their homes and in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,766 times
I dont understand where they should go or what they should be doing? Staying in the house 24/7 until it blows over? Doesnt seem realistic, especially with teenagers.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I dont understand where they should go or what they should be doing? Staying in the house 24/7 until it blows over? Doesnt seem realistic, especially with teenagers.

I think I understand what he's saying....but I suppose the schools are really covering their own responsibility and can wash their hands of kids being exposed outside of school. It really is impossible to keep kids cooped up at home...especially the older ones that can drive or get out of the house.
But then crowding the malls and theaters etc is only moving exposure to another place.

If this were truly a public health concern, the CDC would have to mandate some kind of public imposed quarantine. History books are filled with lots of recounts of just that.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
I think that may be his point....just keep them in school rather than running the streets? I kinda have to agree--it seems rather silly to have them out and about.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 AM

In my son's class he is 1 out of 6 kids (out of a class of 24) that showed up this week. The teacher said on Tuesday parents started pulling their kids out. But dont worry they arent running the streets, they are mostly 5 and 6 year olds.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
In my son's class he is 1 out of 6 kids (out of a class of 24) that showed up this week. The teacher said on Tuesday parents started pulling their kids out. But dont worry they arent running the streets, they are mostly 5 and 6 year olds.
Just don't give em your car keys!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Just don't give em your car keys!
I was thinking about dropping him off at The Rim.....

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
I got a "rumor control" e-mail from the NISD alerts the other day. And funny thing was, I had just been told by someone at work that an NISD school on Marbach had been closed down. I don't listen to anyone when it comes to things like this....I always stick to the "official" sources, because people tend to get stupid. It gets quite entertaining, though.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Is your point that The Rim, The Quarry and all local movie theaters should be shut down, too? I don't follow your logic of "quarantining" kids in schools when kids in school would still spend the 16 hours of the day they're not in school in their homes and in the community.
No, that is not what I am implying. The containment of the disease is the purpose of going to the source and stopping the spread.

I am saying leave them in their schools, sent the sick home to get well, and let the flu run its course. Instead of letting the disease stay localized, we are sending these potential donors to unaffected areas.

With the error in closing the schools the best course would have been to , yes, keep these students in their homes and out of the public. The schools just locked the doors with no plan of action for their charges. Despite their press conferences, this was a totally flawed answer.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 AM

604 posts, read 1,531,237 times
I have 2 boys that play soccer at the fields on FM1560- it is the ACYSO soccer- they contacted us and said that all practice and games were cancelled---saying that they are concernced about our childrens health and well being, which is fine but I have 2 sisters who's kids also play out there, just thru a different organization- and none of their games or practice have be cancelled I told my sisters-- their organization "isn't concerned about their kids health and well being" ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio