Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
A lot of threads are started pertaining to the negative aspects of the City (which we all know too well) i.e. the COL and homelessness. Often (in this forum) it feels as though I’m the only one who actually enjoys living here - lol, so I’m curious. Anybody else out there who is happy to be living here (or the surrounding Bay Area) - and why?
There’s plenty of posters that say they enjoy living in the area so I can’t see why you get the feeling you are the only one. The last thread about the San Francisco ranking of number 7 had several people saying positive things about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Asking for clarification is not lashing out.

Do you have amnesia? In post 11 you never mentioned Oakland. You said Piedmont has suffered from a lot of negative publicity, which is ludicrous.

Photos were clearly needed to demonstrate that there little to no suffering going on in Piedmont because a bunch of snooty people from across the bay hate Oakland. That's their problem.

Furthermore, this is YOUR thread. In the 1st post you wrote the following:
A lot of threads are started pertaining to the negative aspects of the City... I’m curious. Anybody else out there who is happy to be living here (or the surrounding Bay Area) - and why?

If this^ is your premise, then why attack the east bay the first opportunity you get? How petty.
Why you are continuing to lash out and be defensive/explain why you couldn’t just offer your opinion when asked - remains odd. I was simply asking why you chose the Oakland/Piedmont area over others in the Bay Area. I did not ‘attack’ the east bay; I said it has suffered (which you interpreted literally lol) from a negative image (even more than, or as much as, SF). I know this - and so should you, if you live here. I love the Bay Area and was not being ‘snooty’; in fact, I was encouraging you to voice the POSITIVES which, incidentally, was the purpose of my thread. You asked what were the negatives - I never wanted to go into it (and still haven’t in detail), because that wasn’t the purpose of my thread. Way to keep it positive, Mont!

Some prefer the Oakland area; some don’t. Some hate SF. Some consider Mill Valley highly desirable because of the gorgeous views, and some think it’s too close to SF (and prefer being isolated). Some prefer to live in Piedmont because of its proximity to Oakland. Some don’t like it because it is surrounded by Oakland. I was asking you to join me to defend the Area as a whole, and simply voice some of the positives (other than pictures of a few homes lol) why you personally find living in Oakland/Piedmont- preferable. I was trying to support you not pick a fight, as you apparently wanted to do against what you perceive as a ‘snooty’ guy from across The Bay. You are being superfluously defensive - when there’s no need to be. I apologize for ever asking you to jump in with your ‘positive’ opinion - lol. If you love living here, then you should join me in reverting this thread back to the positive reasons why those of us who live here - love doing so.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
There’s plenty of posters that say they enjoy living in the area so I can’t see why you get the feeling you are the only one. The last thread about the San Francisco ranking of number 7 had several people saying positive things about the area.
And it’s those few (and any others who are out there) I addressed this thread to. Question, though - since you are one who continuously posts against SF, why are you in this thread?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Why you are continuing to lash out and be defensive/explain why you couldn’t just offer your opinion when asked - remains odd. I was simply asking why you chose the Oakland/Piedmont area over others in the Bay Area. I did not ‘attack’ the east bay; I said it has suffered (which you interpreted literally lol) from a negative image (even more than, or as much as, SF). I know this - and so should you, if you live here. I love the Bay Area and was not being ‘snooty’; in fact, I was encouraging you to voice the POSITIVES which, incidentally, was the purpose of my thread. You asked what were the negatives - I never wanted to go into it (and still haven’t in detail), because that wasn’t the purpose of my thread. Way to keep it positive, Mont!

Some prefer the Oakland area; some don’t. Some hate SF. Some consider Mill Valley highly desirable because of the gorgeous views, and some think it’s too close to SF (and prefer being isolated). Some prefer to live in Piedmont because of its proximity to Oakland. Some don’t like it because it is surrounded by Oakland. I was asking you to join me to defend the Area as a whole, and simply voice some of the positives (other than pictures of a few homes lol) why you personally find living in Oakland/Piedmont- preferable. I was trying to support you not pick a fight, as you apparently wanted to do against what you perceive as a ‘snooty’ guy from across The Bay. You are being superfluously defensive - when there’s no need to be. I apologize for ever asking you to jump in with your ‘positive’ opinion - lol. If you love living here, then you should join me in reverting this thread back to the positive reasons why those of us who live here - love doing so.
Some people prefer the East Bay to the north Bay or Peninsula, and Piedmont is a low-crime enclave in the East Bay with a good location, for one thing. Though I'd say there are other low-crime enclaves, as well, mostly in the hills. Some people want a more urban experience, compared to Marin. I agree, that Mill Valley is amazing, but some people don't want to have to deal with the GG Bridge commute, for example, or they want to be closer to a broader variety of shopping, as you have in Piedmont.

I realize this response isn't coming from the person to whom you addressed your questions, but in the absence of a response from that person, I offer my perspective.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:07 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Why you are continuing to lash out and be defensive/explain why you couldn’t just offer your opinion when asked - remains odd.
Yawns spare me the bewilderment and charge of lashing out and claims of defensiveness because that's what your doing.

We were supposed to say things we supposedly love but at first opportunity, you questioned why I would live in Piedmont given the suffering going on here due to negative publicity. Like what is that about? And then getting you to clarify is like pulling teeth, which was very odd.

Furthermore, I never said YOU were snooty, but that we dont live our lives to please the snooty people across the bay who look down on us Piedmonters for daring to be surrounded by Oakland, oh the humanity

LOL

Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some people prefer the East Bay to the north Bay or Peninsula, and Piedmont is a low-crime enclave in the East Bay with a good location, for one thing. Though I'd say there are other low-crime enclaves, as well, mostly in the hills. Some people want a more urban experience, compared to Marin. I agree, that Mill Valley is amazing, but some people don't want to have to deal with the GG Bridge commute, for example, or they want to be closer to a broader variety of shopping, as you have in Piedmont.

I realize this response isn't coming from the person to whom you addressed your questions, but in the absence of a response from that person, I offer my perspective.
Thanks, I get that - and that’s why I was trying to get a discussion going about the different areas and personal preferences (and why I mentioned the urban/suburban-y ‘mix’ with Piedmont). Its proximity to such a high crime area as Oakland (and an active nightlife scene) is reflected in its crime stats, especially when you consider it is an ‘enclave’ of sorts - but I was not suggesting he move (or discussing commutes) nor did I suggest it wasn’t nice. I merely expressed my own personal preferences and put him on the defensive, apparently. I didn’t expect it to turn into another Giants/A’s thing.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
. I merely expressed my own personal preferences
No you expressed disdain that you perceive SF is somehow unfairly picked on in this forum when it should be Oakland since it has a higher crime rate. You should have said that from the start.

Quote:
and put him on the defensive, apparently.
Again, seeking clarification is not being defensive and at least 4 posters in this thread likewise didnt understand the purpose of your comments.

Quote:
I didn’t expect it to turn into another Giants/A’s thing.
Youre the only one who mentioned that.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
So do you like living in San Francisco or just the relationship for now? It's an expensive move.
I love both...not just "for now"...

Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Again, seeking clarification is not being defensive and at least 4 posters in this thread likewise didnt understand the purpose of your comments.

He explained it in a couple of posts...you should just say what it is you like about it & why you disagree with him...instead of keeping the petty going on.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
So do you like living in San Francisco or just the relationship for now? It's an expensive move.
She can afford it, so it doesn't matter. She's fortunate in that regard, so why not exercise her options? Good for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland