Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

I've lived here in the PS area off and on for almost over 8 years and I think of at least 50 women I've dated/asked out only 1 told me to my face she would probably never go out with a black guy and we still, eventually went out.
Maybe you're just running into Southern and backwood hick women from Eastern Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
I'll get political for 2 seconds and then i'm done. Herman Caine had no chance. We don't need BUSINESS owners in office. We need PUBLIC SERVANTS that's what holding a PUBLIC OFFICE means. You're supposed to work for the people. Government is not supposed to be a business. Government is not supposed to tax you to make a profit, it's supposed to tax you to protect you (army, marines, navy) and provide assistance (police, ambulance, welfare). I'm only 24 and I can see that our country is F'd in the current state.
Yeah right, who needs a business person in power (which is the soul of the country), let's put another lying, thieving lawyer in power. Well, it sounds like his policies would have been more up your alley, as he wanted to do away with bloated tax system. Nobody gave him a chance. He is a successful businessman, so he knows more personally about having his hard-earned money stolen via rogue taxation.

Yeah, let's stay on topic.. Pleaaasee.. There is a political forum we can discuss these things.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM

259 posts, read 554,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post

This isn't the deep South where people may all act like your friend at first, but later turn on you. In Seattle and Portland, it is the other way around, people will not like you at first, but later open up to you. The people who are your friends, really are your friends. Things are a bit opposite here. You also have to realize there is also a bit of a Scandinavian culture present in the NW, that gives people a bit of a cold, reserved element, which has to be thawed out.
complete understatement and so right on target. Us Europeans can be very standoffish, watchful. Here in America everyone is your friend...but as my wise mother use to say: If you can count your friends on one hand, in your life time you have truly been blessed!

To the OP...you do seem very busy and maybe now is just not the time...but as I stated b4...it will happen when you are not looking..it always does...it's the way of the universe.

Last edited by willow9713; 03-29-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
complete understatement and so right on target. Us Europeans can be very standoffish, watchful. Here in America everyone is your friend...but as my wise mother use to say: If you can count your friends on one hand, in your life time you have truly been blessed!

To the OP...you do seem very busy and maybe now is just not the time...but as I stated b4...it will happen when you are not looking..it always does...it's the way of the universe.
It may also be the Asian influence as well. Seattle isn't unique in this regard. Here in the Bay Area we also have a reputation for being rather cold and stand offish and this is largely true. I find no problems with Seattle being this way because not only is it familiar to me, like you said, it's also more real and genuine.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,966 times
I wasn't aware that preferring NOT TO DATE a certain race made a person racist.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,966 times
My dad's black friend only dates Asians....I guess he is racist too?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,645 times
There's a difference between preferences and actually refusing to date someone of another race. I prefer dark haired men but I married a blonde. I prefer white men but I've dated a black guy and had some series crushes on Asian men. I prefer non-religious guys, but I've dated Christian and Jewish men. I prefer men with glasses but I've dated guys with perfect vision.

I guess what I'm saying is that shouldn't personality and compatibility trump outward appearances?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:48 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
I love threads like this because it proves my theory that the most liberal, progressive, whitest areas in the USA (such as Seattle and San Francisco) are in fact the most RACIST cities in the nation and not those conservative, good old boy, redneck states the media's always warning us about.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,591 times
Got to love people who make such boneheaded blanketed statements. I am not liberal, rather conservative, but I would say racism comes from all sides.

I lived in Portland, one of the more liberal cities in the USA and saw lots and lots of black guys with white women. It was like almost an everyday sight, actually. So, this debunks your theory. Strangely enough though, I have only seen black women with white guys here in Boise, almost never in Portland. Weird phenomenon.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I love threads like this because it proves my theory that the most liberal, progressive, whitest areas in the USA (such as Seattle and San Francisco) are in fact the most RACIST cities in the nation and not those conservative, good old boy, redneck states the media's always warning us about.

Thanks for the confirmation.
I don't think they are more racist. I just think there is a different kind of racism. The south and the midwest, you will find overt racism where as in Portland and Seattle, you will find covert racism. The racism in the south is founded on specific historical events in our country's past where as the racism in Seattle is founded upon class and socio-economic mobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area