Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 PM

355 posts, read 990,695 times

Advertisements

It's all good....I've been known to roll my eyes....and I've had eyes rolled at me. I, too, have friends from different persuasions but that had nothing to do with our friendship. I choose my friends cause they are fun to hang out with. A good sense of humor is a must.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM

95 posts, read 380,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Immitating accents has the reek of Carlos Mencia-type humor, which is to say one of the unfunniest forms of comedy. I have stated this before, but I wouldn't find you funny at all, although I would probably laugh just to humor you (A Seattle Freeze trait?). I would let loose a chuckle, but in my head I would be thinking "you probably think cliched jokes that were funny in the 90's are still gold".
What is so bad about imitating accents???? That is, like, one of the funniest things. It can add a lot to a joke, or funny story. This is done all over the world. Lighten up a little, or actually, a lot! If you can't laugh at yourself, or your own accent (and we all have one) then you are way too serious, and could use a good laugh! Now who is being phony if you are laughing out loud, but thinking something nasty???? Not just us Seattle-Freeze folks!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theRain View Post
What is so bad about imitating accents???? That is, like, one of the funniest things. It can add a lot to a joke, or funny story. This is done all over the world. Lighten up a little, or actually, a lot! If you can't laugh at yourself, or your own accent (and we all have one) then you are way too serious, and could use a good laugh! Now who is being phony if you are laughing out loud, but thinking something nasty???? Not just us Seattle-Freeze folks!
You still don't get it...it's not a matter of being offended or being PC about it....ITS JUST NOT FUNNY. I don't find it funny, one iota. It's just not my style of humor. If you can immitate an accent in a smart and humorous way, I will be amused and will laugh. So far, I haven't seen anyone pull it off (maybe Cheech Marin). It just seems so bush league. What else is in your repetoire, a pun on a cultural meme from last decade? I'm thinking something involving Lewinsky or OJ Simpson....

I despise Carlos Mencia, and accents are his bread and butter. Typically, I find the people that like Carlos Mencia also like Dane Cook and Larry the Cable Guy, which combine to form the unholy triumverate of the worst comics alive.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I thought Dave Chappelle's "white guy" was hilarious.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:13 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I despise Carlos Mencia, and accents are his bread and butter. Typically, I find the people that like Carlos Mencia also like Dane Cook and Larry the Cable Guy, which combine to form the unholy triumverate of the worst comics alive.
I love Carlos Mencia. We walked out of Dane Cook's show when he was performing with Dave Attell after 5 minutes. I'm glad Dave Attell was on first. As for Larry the Cable Guy, I'd rather scratch my own eyes out than watch him.

So, I think your generalization is way off. I don't find Carlos Mencia to be comparable to Dane Cook or Larry the Cable guy. In fact Carlos Mencia's humor is laced with quite a bit of relevant social commentary that you don't find with the other two.

V. =)

Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetb View Post
I've been here in the Seattle area 14 years.. i work on the east side.. nuff said there.. Brier is great.. the politics suck but the town is friendly.. but there is definitely a change here..and not a good one.
I cant stand driving to work for fear of road rage.. on a weekend even.. come on its the weekend.. drive more relaxed please..never fails at least 4 almost accidents every weekend going to wrok... some of the customers at work tend to be aggressive and non friendly on the east side.. but not limited to the eastside. i am sick of cellphones at checkouts. what makes a person think we need to hear their personal calls while you wait behind them.. and the same in drive throughs.
I really think the high cost of living and weather that i actually love make people have a a stick up their arses.
we are moving in five weeks to Indiana.. wish it was sooner..i do however love the weather here and the people in Seattle itself.
so if i offended anyone i seriously doubt anyone taking the time to read these threads are out there bitching and complaining to people just trying to do their jobs..so i am sorry about that part.. but really just sit back and watch sometime.. count the number of people complaining when you are out.. compare it to the old timers who hold the door open for you and say please and thank you.. those days are definetly gone
I nodded throughout the read of your post--it's all true, and it really is devastating. I lived in King and Snohomish counties for over 42 years, and finally moved to Indiana a year ago. Yes, I miss the mountains and the water..and my mother. But I do NOT miss what exists there socially or economically. What sickens me is to remember how I used to interact with other people before the mid-90s...and how my 'Northwestness' comes out now when I least expect it. It's shameful. Thankfully, I am working to lose it and return to the attitudes and behaviors I had before--the attributes we used to possess and be proud of.

Also quite a nice thing to actually have money left over after paying housing costs and bills.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I thought Dave Chappelle's "white guy" was hilarious.
Thanks for reminding me, I actually love Chappelles white guy voice too. That's one accent done right.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:34 PM

95 posts, read 380,529 times
I agree with the previous poster, that people are living their own life, and keep busy. This doesn't mean we don't volunteer in our community, or are recluses. It is just an area with lots to do, and we aren't spending too much time trying to entertain everyone else. I also agree that you get the same in any church, anywhere. People are friendly, but there are cliques and it is hard to break into them. Us Seattle Freeze folks really aren't that bad! If you like to do the same things we do, we may get better acquainted. Don't let this stop you from moving here, but each region does have its own vibe. You can't always know if it is for you, before taking the plunge.
I do not believe that the Freeze phenomenon is restricted to the city limits of Seattle; I think it is a regional affliction!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Default For those who have felt "the freeze", WHERE ARE YOU FROM ORIGINALLY?

I want to ask this question of people who claim they have felt the "Seattle Freeze", and it's this: Where are you from originally? The more I see people talk about this the more I think it's not a Seattle thing as much as it is a general urban environment thing. In a article about "the freeze" a guy from Argentina who came to Seattle said people are cold because you can't hug someone you just met like he could in his homeland... Well DUHHH! You can't do that ANYWHERE in America.

I mean, if you come from West Goat Herder Iowa to Seattle, I am sure you would think that the people are "cold" because it's NOT A SMALL TOWN. With the exception of Texas, I don't think people are all that "outgoing" anywhere...EXAMPLE, the Seattle Freeze has nothing on the NEW YORK BEND, i.e.., the way EVERYONE in New York looks at out-of-towners with their head bent ALL the way back doing their best snob impersonation...because we all know us none New Yorkers are not fit to breath their NYC air...

or, better yet, the JERSEY HALT, which is what otherwise friendly seeming people here in the "garden" state do when one mentions ANYTHING that is not orthodox guido...Jerseyite: "I looooove seaside!" Me: "no, I'm not a big fan of the beach" Jerseyite: "you don't like the beach!?...okay, nice talking to you" and then HALTS the conversation and runs away not to speak to that "weirdo" again. I recently told some co-workers about a nest of red-tailed hawks right outside my door and how nice it is to ACTUALLY be able to see the mother sitting on her eggs, and there came the JERSEY HALT as they gave me that " like ohh my gawd, like, he likes nature and stuff" look and nodded and walked away...say you like the outdoors around here, and you are instantly a leper...CAN SEATTLE TOP THAT?

I want to move to Portland and have Seattle as a "plan-B", and I am not all that concerned about the "seattle Freeze"...I've lived in Jersey my whole life, and I have YET to meet anyone born in this state who I have anything in common with (I'm not a guido or a preppie) so how bad could Seattle be?

So, has anyone from a major "give-you-the-finger-for-looking-at-me" area also felt the Seattle Freeze, or is it just a product of small town-transplants imaginations?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I grew up in the Garden State....it's not just an urban area thing...the Seattle Freeze is real, it's just different from the NJ Guido or preppie thing, it's more like a reserve or shyness rather than an outright coldness...but...I've lived in the Seattle area for 31 years and I've adjusted and adapted...and to defend folks in New Jersey:
yes, there are some incredible ignoramuses there, but also smart, nice people who actually like to be outdoors and are involved environmentally.
I also find many of my fellow Jerseyites to be refreshingly unpretensious , like " Hey,we're from New Jersey, what do we have to feel snobby about?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area