Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times

Advertisements

I'd actually rather be a dog. No disrespect to allforcats

Okay the coffee has kicked in and I will pose another question.

If this list actually breaks down countries of origin which are nothing more then governmentally created lines and have little to do with anything scientific until those line created less travel between geographic areas because of laws of man not nature...(i.e Chinese, Vietnamese though they are the same continent).
My heritage is Italian and Irish....would I not then claim "Two or More"
If someone is African American perhaps they could also claim "Two or More" since those are actually different continents. Just curious...Where does this end...
Are we not just a big frappe-chino by now anyways?

I still have a problem with the word "Black" as a race, same as "White". Is this really an official census list? I mean why not "Yellow" or "Mauve"....pretty soon different shades of white. (Ivory, Opaque)...Its the "Green" people!!! Its their fault!!! They are the origins of the Seattle Freeze....

Sorry for the rant...maybe decaf is in order..

Have a great day on the 3rd rock from the sun....

Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
I'd like to submit that race probably has little or nothing to do with the Seattle freeze. Sure would be nice if we could just skip the last two pages of nonsense or break it off into another thread.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I'd like to submit that race probably has little or nothing to do with the Seattle freeze. Sure would be nice if we could just skip the last two pages of nonsense or break it off into another thread.
I second that motion.....Lets blame it on bald people...thats genetic!!

Just kidding!! I will stop posting in the "Freeze" catagory and concentrate on the things I like about Seattle. Though I'm sure many people that are potentially moving to Seattle may worry about this topic and appreciate the information they read here. The almost 60 pages...(yikes!) of discussion on this may have some tone that rings truth to the people that are submitting their opinions. My opinion is nothing but fodder and should be regarded as such.

Respectfully,

Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 AM

87 posts, read 307,470 times
It'll be weird for me (if we move to Eastside or Seattle proper) to be in the minority. I'm Hispanic, and I've lived most of my life in a place with an Hispanic majority. I'm used to chatty Jewish and Cuban waitresses and salespersons and people sparking up conversation in public places. Creole and Latin accents...I'm so used to those sounds.

Hubby is a pink-cheeked 'n' alabaster blond Germanic-Irish-Hungarian and an all-out techie-nerd. He'll fit right in with Eastsiders.

Me, I guess I'll be wondering why I'm getting cold shoulders when in my smile-and-chat-up strangers mode in cafes. While I'm at it, I better break that habit of singing while I pick produce at the supermarket. Heh.

Mirtika<--neither black, nor white, which used to pose a problem in ye olde days when I had to fill out demographical info on forms...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM

355 posts, read 990,589 times
Mirtika......Don't worry you'll fit in just fine....just be yourself...we need more people like you out here. I lived in S FL for 15 years.....I was a northeastern white transplant. The vibe here is totally different than S FL though. I miss the vibrant Latin culture....love Cuban music and food. I miss the Jamaica influence and the NY, NJ influence, too. People are just more reserved out here. Not as much fun.

But getting used to the weather might be an even bigger adjustment....be prepared for that. I miss the tropics soooooo much. I loved being in my backyard (full of beautiful tropical plants) all year long and going to the beach anytime I want. I miss the sunshine. This is the reason I won't be staying out here.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM

87 posts, read 307,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post

But getting used to the weather might be an even bigger adjustment....be prepared for that. I miss the tropics soooooo much. I loved being in my backyard (full of beautiful tropical plants) all year long and going to the beach anytime I want. I miss the sunshine. This is the reason I won't be staying out here.
Yeah, I've read threads here about that, and I've researched happy lamps and vitamin D supplements. I agree with you--it gets awful July through September (and some parts of June can get icky), but most of the year it's so fabulous and the light is so pure and gorgeous. I sometimes just take a book to sit outside because the breeze and light is so amazing. And nothing is like winters down here.

Right now, my garden has a terrific breeze (still a touch of coolness, so it's not full summer in the air) and is bright with hibiscus, gardenia, bougainvillean--purples, pinks, reds, yellows, whites, peaches--and the mango tree is full of fruit and there are honeybees and butterflies sucking up the juicies. I'd miss it. But if we go, I'll just focus on learning about mountains and the trees and wildlife there. And lots of happy lamp time and yellow and blue paint for the walls. And let's hope the neighbors don't mind the occasional spicy smell sofrito for the Cuban food.

Mirtika<--who even researched the Cuban eateries up there (not many, one promising one).

Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerteekah View Post
And let's hope the neighbors don't mind the occasional spicy smell sofrito for the Cuban food.
If I were your neighbor, I wouldn't mind if I could come over for dinner occasionally!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM

355 posts, read 990,589 times
Great attitude....there will be lots for you to discover out here since this is the complete opposite of what you are used to. And the mountains and foliage are beautiful here too....I just happen to prefer the tropical variety. I too had a yard full of hibiscus, gardenia (what fragrance!) and bougainvillea among several varieties of palms.

I think it would be great for you to introduce your neighbors to Cuban food......they will probably love it. Well, good luck to you with your relocation....and whatever you do...keep singing in the produce aisle. : )

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Merkeetah,
Paseo in Fremont makes a good Cuban sandwich, though the place is tiny tiny and gets mobbed.
I also think you'll do just fine here. The Seattle Freeze, if it ever existed, has been greatly diluted by newcomers, including many obnoxious east coasters like myself.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,888 times
I believe the Seattle freeze is real, and I also believe that newcomers to the area have diluted it somewhat. But, I will say, in the past 5-10 yrs, I haven't had any problem at all making 'new' friends based on interests.

One such group is people who are all interested in food and cooking. These people are active, there are get-togethers/go out for dinners/happy hours probably 2-3 times a week. How fun to just send out an email saying "I'm craving this and thinking of going to..." and have anywhere from 3-10 people email back saying "let's go tonight!" Some of these people are natives, some are not. Some only participate once every couple of months or so, some are planning foodie vacations together.

Another group I recently hooked up with is a bunch of people who are interested in wine. We met on a new web forum, and suddenly there are wine tastings every month now at someone's house, with new people joining in and offering up their houses for tastings also. I'm amazed at how quickly this group got up and running, and are very, very active.

So, it can be had, just follow your interests, and stick with the groups that 'click' for you. Some will, some won't. Don't waste your time on one-sided friendships. I've lived here 23 years, and yes, have experienced the freeze, and have experienced people who give you a deer in the headlights look if you suggest something social, or god forbid, ask them for a simple favor. There's plenty of peeps here who love to socialize, who love to go out, who love to entertain in their homes. You can find 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area