Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 05:22 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
I was going to say something similar and thought I would read on and see if someone else beat me to it. I'm glad you did. We really need to get over that. And what a disrespectful remark "Snowbunny" Are you speaking of other humans...I wonder if the Creator refers to it's creation with such remarks. And if someone came on here and said I'm tired of seeing my Greek God's with all these jigaboos there would be a riot! We can't have it both ways. Respect MUST be mutual. So you had to go to the South and bring yo Black King back, well good! Nuffin to complain about....Unless the King decides he wants to try the forbidden fruit.
[SIZE=3]Don’t try to call one person’s comment ignorant and respond with an ignorant and condescending reply of your own. If you are trying to prove to us how somehow you are above the posters “snow bunny” comment than do so without throwing slurs out because it makes you sound just as ignorant. Ponder on that.[/SIZE]

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,599 times
Default I would...

but seriously, you've offered nothing to ponder. Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
[SIZE=3]Don’t try to call one person’s comment ignorant and respond with an ignorant and condescending reply of your own. If you are trying to prove to us how somehow you are above the posters “snow bunny” comment than do so without throwing slurs out because it makes you sound just as ignorant. Ponder on that.[/SIZE]

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Long story short, Seattle gets rave reviews from what I see in this thread.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 104,862 times
If you are looking for a very accepting, diverse, laid back culture that allows you to be yourself then you should consider making Seattle your home. I have moved away from here once and couldn't wait to come back. I know that wherever life takes me, I will always come back here. I've been many places and haven't come across anywhere I would rather call home.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:44 PM

161 posts, read 560,116 times
While I'm here,Can someone please tell me where I can get my hair did?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
If you are black, there are tons of black hair salons around the area, especially in Seattle and Tacoma. What part of town are you in?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,372 times
so,can someone answer my question about what is there for an island girl to do in seattle? Any reggae? Any Caribbean culture? I think its important to find representation of one's culture.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,372 times
l

Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olynative View Post
If you are looking for a very accepting, diverse, laid back culture that allows you to be yourself then you should consider making Seattle your home. I have moved away from here once and couldn't wait to come back. I know that wherever life takes me, I will always come back here. I've been many places and haven't come across anywhere I would rather call home.
Sounds about right. At least with my experience.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM

17 posts, read 167,051 times
Default New Seattle Resident-- Former Chicagoan and HBCU graduate

I just moved to Seattle and am working here-- Only for ONE year, though! I have been here for a month, and couldn't imagine living here for much longer than a year. Not only is Seattle's Black community not very close-knit, but being up here definitely seems worlds away from every other Black community.

I am a very open-minded, easygoing person. With that being said, I am very accepting of all types of people regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, and creed. I have such a hard time finding other Black professionals that it is exhausting, and I have given up. Yes, it has only been a month (and a couple weeks), but I am definitely not used to having to search for other like-minded Black people.

I hang out with people of all races, but it is food for the soul to fellowship with other ambitious African-Americans.

You can tell me they are out there, but please follow that statement with details (when, where, and what time!!) I never see other Black women when I go out. I went to an underground hip-hop concert and there was a maximum of 20 Black folks there. Here I thought I would be hitting the jackpot that night... uhhhm no.

Also, just because someone is Black doesn't mean that they are someone I would hang with. This is the reason why Black people from other major cities would not consider Seattle to be a great social hub for them. With a larger population of African-Americans comes a greater probability that you will find a few compatible associates. Because Seattle is lacking in numbers, my chances are nearing obsolescence.

Many of the encounters I have had with the Black people here are not very memorable. Often times, they are standoff-ish or have this "suido-enlightened" aura. The men who approach me seem to only approach me because they DON'T think I am Black... and I really have yet to meet any Black women at all.

Anyhow, please don't think I'm complaining or Seattle-bashing b/c I love it here.. but I will admit as of right now, I can't give it a perfect 10 b/c I need a stronger Black presence. I'd give it a 7/10. Between ATL and Seattle, I would call it even. Atlanta is missing the beautiful aspect.

Call me close-minded and "ghetto" (Why have I heard the word "ghetto" used more here than anywhere else??? It's annoying. People say it all the time to describe anything with a Black influence.) or whatever, but I can say with confidence that the majority of Blacks would feel the same way that I do.

Don't get me wrong... I love it here. Can't touch Chicago, though... not even on it's best day :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area