Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times

Advertisements

I never buy new. My friends (who loves to shop) gives me their "hand-me=downs" :-) I hate shopping with a passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I'm with you Paula Lynn, on the hand me downs. My SIL should be my personal shopper, she has natural good taste.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I don't have the patience to read every post, so I apologize for any duplicates... but here are some good discount sites:

http://www.lovemyshoes.com/ (broken link)
http://www.alight.com/ (if you happen to be full-figured, this is a fantastic site!!)
http://www.ebags.com/
http://www.famousfootwear.com/

And of course, there's always eBay & Yahoo/Google's shopping areas... they have some great deals!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Mega dittos on Tuesday Morning. Stein Mart is another favorite especially for home/bed/bath accessories. As for Zappos, there is no better place in the whole world for shoes - it may not be a super discount but their customer service is unsurpassed and they frequently do discount (plus free shipping both ways). Another site that I like is Debby Burk Optical. It is a great place for glasses (non prescription) of all kinds plus all the optical accessories. http://www.debspecs.com/ (I buy readers by the pound practically and have them everywhere including my car, at work etc.)

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
I've always boughten fake bags and glasses on the streets on SoHo New York. And everyone always thinks they are real. I would never spend the money on the real stuff.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Name brands don't mean a thing to me. It's the quality of the article that counts. I'd rather buy something made well wherever it is. Right now I've got a full walkin closet many items of which I've had for years. I don't buy anything that needs to be dry cleaned except suit jackets. I like Liz Claiborne at the discount mall and choose Walmart, Penneys, and Macy's otherwise.

Just replaced most of my shoes as I've found the newer ones have much better padding and better quality leather. I wouln't order shoes by mail though. I vote for Tue AM too. I also buy as much as I can at the Dollar Store, beauty products, office stuff and the like.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:44 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,272 times
i'm addicted to ebay and catalogs like victorias secret or boston proper
they have the cutest clothes
but i'll also shop at loehmans walmart and mandees

Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
eBay junkie. I buy. I sell.

I love real vintage (velvet or lace anything), carpet bags and affordable, slightly off-center Euro clothing, which used to be cheaper in the local shops. Not anymore.

There is a store down in the Old Keys that summed the idea up best: "We buy junk and sell antiques"...

Goodwill in the better areas can be amazing! I haven't really bought much in the way of clothing, but I have seen SWEET opera coats and costume jewelry - great funky stuff! I use the genuine thrift stores for odds and ends - hand carved wood stuff or dishes that are still good for service either here or in the garden.

On the Island, there are a few "consignment" shops, which I used to visit back in my college days...it used to amaze me what little these items would sell for after being worn once or twice by a socialite. Large amount of accessories. If you want budget Haute, try that. 'Ain't like anybody will know the difference.

Most of Mo's stuff comes from eBay - past season, NWT or worn once...I can grab Ralph, DKNY, Gymboree or ***** for her for a few bucks. It isn't the name I'm after - could be JoeBillyBob for all I care - but the styles aren't yet found in Target.

I do like Target. The well-kept ones, anyway. I was thrilled to see delicate, crocheted leg warmers and slubbed sweater tights for $4.99 (this past season) just like what I saw in my Urban Outfitters / Free People catalogs for $20.00+.

There are a few catalogs I can rely on from experience, and every blue moon I might make it to the Gardens Mall if I've inherited a gift card for some reason...Anthropologie, J Jill, Macy's and trendy "baby stores" will see me consider the wares, but I often leave empty handed...

Catalogs and online: Spiegel (outlet forever), Newport News (which I started buying from in the 80's as Avon Fashions), Baby Style and One Step Up/Leaps and Bounds. B.S. is kinda pricey, but the sales are good. Can find something there and then pull it up on eBay for less...

TJ Maxx
and Marshalls can be great fun and make you want to empty your wallet...or it might be a week where not even a coffee cup perks an interest. I have in previous years used them for small gifts and as a source for cool ornaments as part of gift wrap, but this past year they didn't have anything...cleaned out very early.
Good for shoes, towels and home decor.

Ross, another discount chain, is usually more miss than hit, but I can usually find some sort of garden item (a substantial pot or iron ornament) for under ten bucks.

Old Navy. I buy toddler t-shirts there. Great for Morgan - good solid colors, including BLACK.

Last edited by 33458; 03-06-2007 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i'm addicted to ebay and catalogs like victorias secret or boston proper
they have the cutest clothes
but i'll also shop at loehmans walmart and mandees
Just got the BP catalog...want those seamed linen gauchos something fierce.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I have a question about Bloomingdales. Are they along the same lines of Macy's? I am not into designer crap but I like good quality clothes. I shop Macy's or Nordstrom here and when I went to N. Alabama I noticed they had Bloomingdales.
and yea I too don't get overstock.com

Bloomies/Macys/and the former Burdines are all the same corporation until further notice.

Federated Department Stores, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products