Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I played HS soccer, it takes a good deal of endurance especially running back and forth.

As much as I have tried, I can't watch MLS compared to watching FSC or a Champions League game. The MLS game is so boring with terrible passes, no triangles, and terrible shooting. It's like watching a high school game.

Champions league is incredible, crisp passes, tight triangles, and great scoring.
Hahahahahaha...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's not like watching a HS game. The quality improves every single season and has gotten a lot better the last 2-3 years.

It's improvement is going to be limited if it doesnt get support from people such as yourself. So, if you want the MLS to get to European in quality then you need to support it.
Oh trust me, I have tried to watch it. There simply is no quality of a MLS game when compared to a European league game. As I stated in my last post, triangles are unheard of in a MLS game, passing is erratic at best, frankly I would rather watch paint dry then to watch a MLS game.

Do you think it's coincidence that Beckham wants to stay at AC Milan???? Absolutely not, he knows that the great Alexi Lalas experiment failed. It was good in the short term, but interest has gone and now where is Lalas today, oh that's right he's out of the Galaxy.

Freddy Adu is another great prospect who has taken his game overseas after playing a couple of years at DC United because he knows that soccer does not nor will it ever get the following that it gets in Europe and as such the best players/teams are not in the USA. MLS and soccer elsewhere in the world are 2 totally different animals.

The US will always be a "football american" (NFL) sport first with Europe and South America keeping football (soccer) as their sport first.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Whenever one refers to "European leagues" as a group, you know they're new to things and their fresh zeal clouds judgment. The rush to sound knowledgeable actually works to the opposite effect.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Whenever one refers to "European leagues" as a group, you know they're new to things and their fresh zeal clouds judgment. The rush to sound knowledgeable actually works to the opposite effect.
You know what assume means, right? I don't try to portray who or what you are and I expect the same from you, got it?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've been around soccer for over 35 years. Perhaps you failed to read the earlier post that I played soccer so I do have knowledge of the game. I watch FSC quite often and the "European leagues" bring much more excitement than any MLS game any day. You guys just can't accept the fact that MLS will never get to the level or following of a Champions League, Copa America, etc.

If you guys doubt that, just tune into FSC (that's Fox Soccer Channel) and see what true soccer is all about then show me a link that gives MLS the same level. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Oh ****, did you see that game between Rapid Wien and Red Bull Salzburg?!?! Amazing talent!!! It's so European!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm still waiting for that great MLS link, LOL!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for that great MLS link, LOL!
Am I supposed to YouTube the lone great moments in 13 seasons of MLS or what? Keep posing, Nigel.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
Quote:
Oh trust me, I have tried to watch it. There simply is no quality of a MLS game when compared to a European league game. As I stated in my last post, triangles are unheard of in a MLS game, passing is erratic at best, frankly I would rather watch paint dry then to watch a MLS game. .
I am sorry but there isnt a single person in America that is too good for the MLS. If you think that, you are watching the game with a preconceived notion that wont allow you to enjoy it.

Quote:
Do you think it's coincidence that Beckham wants to stay at AC Milan???? Absolutely not, he knows that the great Alexi Lalas experiment failed. It was good in the short term, but interest has gone and now where is Lalas today, oh that's right he's out of the Galaxy. .
Beckman wants to stay in Milan because one of the most prestigous teams in the world wants him to play and he now knows he can still play at one of the top levels in the world. That isnt a slight against the MLS. No one claims that the MLS is near that level. Any player would be smart to make that move. It has nothing to do with "failed experiment".

Quote:
Freddy Adu is another great prospect who has taken his game overseas after playing a couple of years at DC United because he knows that soccer does not nor will it ever get the following that it gets in Europe and as such the best players/teams are not in the USA. MLS and soccer elsewhere in the world are 2 totally different animals. .
Adu and other prospects go to Europe because they can make more money and develop their game at a different level. Brazilian and Argentine players consistently leave their leagues to go to Europe too. I guess that means that they dont get much following their either.

Quote:
The US will always be a "football american" (NFL) sport first with Europe and South America keeping football (soccer) as their sport first.
That's probably true but that doesnt mean the quality of the MLS wont keep increasing. We live in a country that is as big as the entire continent of Europe. We havent had the proper systems in place to develop American talent until the last few years. With MLS teams starting youth academies and NCAA increasing in quality, the home grown talent will only get better.

If you are really a soccer fan, you would support MLS. One of the top problems right now is the limited amount MLS can pay talent. It needs financial support from fans in order to pay players to come to MLS. I would think that if you like high level soccer you would do your part to help MLS obtain that level. But, it sounds like you already got your mind made up and want to be the Eurosnob that you appear to be.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
Quote:
If you guys doubt that, just tune into FSC (that's Fox Soccer Channel) and see what true soccer is all about then show me a link that gives MLS the same level. I'm not holding my breath on this one.
I have FSC, Gol TV, and some other spanish channels. I watch European and other international league matches every single week.

No one is claiming that MLS is at the same level. But, it is not as bad as you claim it to be. A friend of mine that has KC Wizards season tickets is a teacher that sponsors his school districts student exchange program and he has an extra season ticket so that he can always bring one of the exchange students to the game. He has brought students from Germany, Brazil, Sweden, Chile, and other countries. Most of the time, those students are actually impressed with the level they play in the MLS. They come to the game expecting it to horrible and they almost always walk away surprised.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Am I supposed to YouTube the lone great moments in 13 seasons of MLS or what? Keep posing, Nigel.
No, just give us some. Oh that's right, you can't find any, LOL.

Nice try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer