Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I just had a converstaion with a guy today who kept talking to me like Europe was a country ...
What’s even more amusing is when someone is asked, ‘where are you from’ - and the individual states, ‘Europe’ (as if he/she can’t even narrow it down to a country but must be so secretive as to instead state a continent - lol).

You are having conversations with uneducated people; but that said, I don’t think any true ‘soccer’ fan (educated or not, racist or not) believes Europe is a country. It is a sport so focused on ‘pride’, ultimately, by representing one’s country on the national team (and part of the reason racism is so pronounced). That said, there is so much diversity on individual teams/leagues, it’s surprising racism still remains in the sport as much as it does (and racist behavior does not always equate to hooliganism).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-13-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 04:33 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Actually, you did by attributing it to a few ‘alleged’ incidents in post #43 as well as repeating it’s a ‘claim’ which is thirty years out of date.
It wasn't me that mentioned 30 years HOWEVER I agree with them - as somebody that has been to Stamford Bridge with my black skinned family AND watched a game with thousands of other black skinned supporters I can categorically say it IS isolated incidents which ISN'T the case in other parts of Europe (where I wouldn't dream of taking my family), saying 'isolated incidents' is not claiming that racism 'doesn't exist.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It wasn't me that mentioned 30 years HOWEVER I agree with them - as somebody that has been to Stamford Bridge with my black skinned family AND watched a game with thousands of other black skinned supporters I can categorically say it IS isolated incidents which ISN'T the case in other parts of Europe (where I wouldn't dream of taking my family), saying 'isolated incidents' is not claiming that racism 'doesn't exist.
And that’s the point - according to the study/report out of University of Manchester in April of this year, racism in England (workplace as well as in football) is anything but ‘isolated’.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
And that’s the point - according to the study/report out of University of Manchester in April of this year, racism in England (workplace as well as in football) is anything but ‘isolated’.
But as a football mad English man who has a black skinned family I categorically 'disagree' - racism in English football is 'isolated' incidents, which isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, also if there is even the 'suggestion' of a racist incident in England the authorities rightly stamp down on it - and hard, which again isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, I am not the only English football fan that has pointed this out. Of course there are 'racist' people in EVERY corner of the planet but I re-iterate the difference between the UK and some 'other' parts of Europe is NIGHT AND DAY. In fact clumping together 'Europe' as one as in 'Racism in European soccer' is a daft as clumping together the whole of the North and South Americas.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
But as a football mad English man who has a black skinned family I categorically 'disagree' - racism in English football is 'isolated' incidents, which isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, also if there is even the 'suggestion' of a racist incident in England the authorities rightly stamp down on it - and hard, which again isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, I am not the only English football fan that has pointed this out. Of course there are 'racist' people in EVERY corner of the planet but I re-iterate the difference between the UK and some 'other' parts of Europe is NIGHT AND DAY. In fact clumping together 'Europe' as one as in 'Racism in European soccer' is a daft as clumping together the whole of the North and South Americas.
You cant win, an American who doesn't go to games knows WAY more about it than you. Its as simple as that.
Just count yourself lucky you wont get shot at the stadium like can happen in America ... lets not talk about that stuff though.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
But as a football mad English man who has a black skinned family I categorically 'disagree' - racism in English football is 'isolated' incidents, which isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, also if there is even the 'suggestion' of a racist incident in England the authorities rightly stamp down on it - and hard, which again isn't the case in 'other' parts of Europe, I am not the only English football fan that has pointed this out.
Then ‘disagree’ with the University of Manchester; they must have it all wrong because you say so. Keep in mind this thread is speaking to racism in the sport, not specifically ‘hooliganism’.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Then ‘disagree’ with the University of Manchester; they must have it all wrong because you say so. Keep in mind this thread is speaking to racism in the sport, not specifically ‘hooliganism’.
I am talking about racism, I went to my first game in 1976, as a five year old kid, Loftus Road, I have been to hundreds of English football matches and at all levels from village football to Champions league games, I have been a football fanatic for over 40 years! I have lived - and I mean experienced the notorious Stamford Bridge in the 1980's I can personally compare standing in the shed in 1983 to a corporate box in the 2000's I have been to cup finaIs, seen North London derbies, been trapped on the underground while Chelsea And Liverpool fans have been dismantling the train and smashing each other's heads in with it and I've experienced the Kop when 24000 fans sang and swayed like waves on the ocean, believe me if you want to know about English football I AM the horses mouth.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I am talking about racism, I went to my first game in 1976, as a five year old kid, Loftus Road, I have been to hundreds of English football matches and at all levels from village football to Champions league games, I have been a football fanatic for over 40 years! I have lived - and I mean experienced the notorious Stamford Bridge in the 1980's I can personally compare standing in the shed in 1983 to a corporate box in the 2000's I have been to cup finaIs, seen North London derbies, been trapped on the underground while Chelsea And Liverpool fans have been dismantling the train and smashing each other's heads in with it and I've experienced the Kop when 24000 fans sang and swayed like waves on the ocean, believe me if you want to know about English football I AM the horses mouth.
I’m going to believe the University of Manchester, journalists, social media, UEFA and various organizations (rather than the internet horse’s mouth - lol). I’ve been to many football games in England (and elsewhere); and I know it’s been awhile since, but this is not ‘my claim’ - lol. Part of the problem is you continue to intertwine racism with hooliganism and violence; racist behavior and attitudes continue to permeate the sport even though violent incidents have declined. I follow football religiously - and you would have to be completely in denial to repeatedly state racism doesn’t exist in English football. The world sees it, even UK-based organizations see it - somehow you do not.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-19-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I’m going to believe the University of Manchester, journalists, social media, UEFA and various organizations (rather than the internet horse’s mouth - lol). I’ve been to many football games in England (and elsewhere); and I know it’s been awhile since, but this is not ‘my claim’ - lol. Part of the problem is you continue to intertwine racism with hooliganism and violence; racist behavior and attitudes continue to permeate the sport even though violent incidents have declined. I follow football religiously - and you would have to be completely in denial to repeatedly state racism doesn’t exist in English football. The world sees it, even UK-based organizations see it - somehow you do not.
Still not really getting it are you? Are you seriously trying to claim you know English football better than me!? Ive attended hundreds of Englush football matces over a period of 40 years, I also live with the football mad English population on a daily basis what about you? Show me were I said racism 'doesn't exist? I said there are VERY few isolated incidents in English stadiums and that ISNT the case in 'other' parts of Europe the difference between England and Eastern or Southern Europe is astronomical! I take my black skinned kids (girls) happily to Stamford Bridge (though they aren't very interested now theyre older) where they have NEVER had an issue but wouldnt dream of taking them anywhere near a football match in Eastern or Southern Europe. There are 30000000 people that attend football in the UK every year and a handful of incidents, there is probably more racial induced incidents in the town's and cities.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Still not really getting it are you? Are you seriously trying to claim you know English football better than me!? Ive attended hundreds of Englush football matces over a period of 40 years, I also live with the football mad English population on a daily basis what about you? Show me were I said racism 'doesn't exist? I said there are VERY few isolated incidents in English stadiums and that ISNT the case in 'other' parts of Europe the difference between England and Eastern or Southern Europe is astronomical! I take my black skinned kids (girls) happily to Stamford Bridge (though they aren't very interested now theyre older) where they have NEVER had an issue but wouldnt dream of taking them anywhere near a football match in Eastern or Southern Europe. There are 30000000 people that attend football in the UK every year and a handful of incidents, there is probably more racial induced incidents in the town's and cities.
Relax. Racism in football everywhere (including England) is not ‘my claim’. Take it up with the University of Manchester, UEFA, Stop Hate UK, Show Racism the Red Card, ENAR, STAR E, FARE, and so on. You are the one who isn’t getting it - this is a world-wide ‘claim’, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer