U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

You're the one acting as if my use of the universal agreement among soccer fans/analysts somehow does something to weaken my argument lol.. how do i explain to you in terms which you can understand... the world's best soccer player, according to the soccer WORLD, F-A-I-L-S to score a goal in the world cup, which leads to my secondary points, one of which is why soccer is uncool to americans (because the biggest star DOES NOTHING in the worlds biggest stage)

i then went and used examples of the best NHL, NFL, NBA players who ALL perform in big moments (unlike Messi, the consensus world's best)










oh wait i know what you did "omg ppl that like messi wont agree with you that he's not a great athlete so u are dumb"

yea that's the point of an argument you moron, disagreement and the discussion that ensues. lol. log off your computer you senile old fool

 
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,014,142 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
You're the one acting as if my use of the universal agreement among soccer fans/analysts somehow does something to weaken my argument lol.. how do i explain to you in terms which you can understand... the world's best soccer player, according to the soccer WORLD, F-A-I-L-S to score a goal in the world cup, which leads to my secondary points, one of which is why soccer is uncool to americans (because the biggest star DOES NOTHING in the worlds biggest stage)

i then went and used examples of the best NHL, NFL, NBA players who ALL perform in big moments (unlike Messi, the consensus world's best)










oh wait i know what you did "omg ppl that like messi wont agree with you that he's not a great athlete so u are dumb"

yea that's the point of an argument you moron, disagreement and the discussion that ensues. lol. log off your computer you senile old fool
Messi has won 2 UEFA Champions league titles, 4 La Liga championships (Spanish domestic league) in 6 seasons with Barcelona. How many championships has NBA super athlete god James won??? FAIL
 
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
You're the one acting as if my use of the universal agreement among soccer fans/analysts somehow does something to weaken my argument lol.. how do i explain to you in terms which you can understand... the world's best soccer player, according to the soccer WORLD
So you put all your stock in what people say about Messi's relative ability, but deny anything they would have to say about his overall athleticism. Either those people are knowledgeable or they aren't. Which is it?
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Lol@ all that text to try and "justify" why Messi went scoreless
The first line in that pointless paragraph is proof as to why he SHOULD have scored.
Puyol is a DEFENDER, Messi being an OFFENSIVE player by default means he should score, especially when defendersare scoring.
I wasn't justifying anything. I was trying to explain to you why Messi did not fail in the World Cup and that he has roles on the field other than scoring which he was successful at. If you are not going to acknowledge what people are telling you then why do you continue to post on this forum.

The purpose of a forum is for people to have discussions about various topics. You are failing to discuss anything. You keep posting the same things over and over again and fail to allow anyone to educate you on matters you show you know little about.

You basically saying that any player that did not score in the World Cup is a failure. There isnt a sport in this world where every player failing or succeeding to do one action means they were a success or failure as a player. Every team sport has player positions and every position has different roles. Messi is not a striker. His main role is not to score goals. In order to continue this discussion, you really need to acknowledge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Ur hypothetical situation is stupid, when does manning fail to throw a touchdown? Do u even watch football?
And to even come close to Messis FAILURES at the world cup, Ud need to have manning play in multiple playoff games and go scoreless in ALL of them. Which again won't ever happen because manning is a freak and too talented to choke like Messi
So, you're saying that Peyton Mannig has thrown a touchdown in every single game he plays? False.

Yes, I watch football and apparently know the sport better than you.

Yes, Manning is a great athlete but he has had his fair share of failures. Do you not remember this past Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Mannings job is also a million times more difficult as the entire offense runs through him and is dictated by him. Manning changed the way football is being played. What has Messi done of any significance other than choke again in the world cup?
You do realize that Messi plays on a club team? One that has one a lot of hardware recently and Messi has been the catalyst of that. Messi scored 4 goals against a tough Arsenal squad in the quarterfinals of the Champions League which is the 2nd largest sporting event in the world behind the World Cup since you seem to like to use goals as the only measuring stick. He has 90 goals in 140 games for Barcelona.

He was just named La Liga player of the year for the 2nd straight season which is the equivalent of winning the NFL MVP award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
I don't watch gymnastics, sorry. Only female sports I watch is women's tennis.
But its good to see that Messi is taller than some athletes. Little 16 year old Asian and Russian girls lolol
Those 16 year old girls have more power in one thigh than you have in your entire body.
 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: liverpool in England but not of it
481 posts, read 1,043,369 times
Reputation: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
You're the one acting as if my use of the universal agreement among soccer fans/analysts somehow does something to weaken my argument lol.. how do i explain to you in terms which you can understand... the world's best soccer player, according to the soccer WORLD, F-A-I-L-S to score a goal in the world cup, which leads to my secondary points, one of which is why soccer is uncool to americans (because the biggest star DOES NOTHING in the worlds biggest stage)

i then went and used examples of the best NHL, NFL, NBA players who ALL perform in big moments (unlike Messi, the consensus world's best)










oh wait i know what you did "omg ppl that like messi wont agree with you that he's not a great athlete so u are dumb"

yea that's the point of an argument you moron, disagreement and the discussion that ensues. lol. log off your computer you senile old fool
Why are you so bitter?,chill out mate.We get it you don't like football,who cares billions round the globe do
 
Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM
 
224 posts, read 591,201 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
LMAO@ American sports require little skill... what a joke.
Fact: NO POSITION in soccer, or any other sport for that matter is more difficult to play than the quarterback position in football
fact: a runningbacks job, reading screens, defensive schemes, running behind or around blockers, running by it through huge linemen and linebackers who all want to destroy him is MUCH harder than some sissy soccer player getting chased around by other sissies, who can always dive and get bailed out by the ref and given a free kick.
That's another thing that makes no sense about soccer... any little bump by a defensive player sends the offensive player flying 14 feet, cringing in pain. NFL players literally tackle each other, and a lot of times the tackles fail to bring the player down. How? Because NFL players don't act, they are much stronger and faster and thus better athletes.

But yes what position in all of soccer requires the skill that the QB position in football requires? They get at most 4 seconds to read the entire field and defensive schemes and make a decision to pass, scramble, or hand off.

What soccer player has ever had the freak athleticism, clutchness or alien skill that Michael Jordan had?
Is there even such a thing as bring clutch in soccer?
Do u consider Messi being a clutch player after his zero goal showing in the world cup? LOL!
Hmm every position exepct goalkeeper??? Central midfielder are the QB's of soccer. they scan the field while other midfielders plus defenders are trying to get the ball. Might not hurt as much as getting hit by a linebacker but it's pretty much the same.



a tall guy getting hit by a tall guy hurts just as much as a small guy getting hit by a small guy. You dont have to be 6 feet 4 to be tough. Theres lots of contact in soccer. You obviously never played it. Soccer is a contact sport and american handegg is a collision sport. I can only laugh at you saying NFL players are faster than soccer players. a country of 300 million vs the rest of the world in terms of speed. hmmm. Clutch can you say penalty kicks?? free kick in the dying mins?? Alien skill. messi has that. no other human on the planet not matter how hard he trained could do what he does.
Not all soccer players are *******. we got ******* and hard men.


YouTube - Vinnie jones PSYCHO
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
Reputation: 2829
check out these golfers

 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228
wow *amazing athletic ability never before seen!*

high school kids do the same thing, look:


YouTube - Amazing Bicycle Kick Goal Off Throw In - Staples High School Soccer

not impressed. i can go into any grass field, practice that for 15 minutes and pull off the exact same move.
oh wait but kicking in the air and falling on your back is more athletic than this right:



yea... right...
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228
soccer SISSIES- part of the "strategy" in soccer is to trick the official into giving you an offensive advantage by FAKING injuries/fouls:



compare those maries with this:



or this



here is a scene from a movie called "Soccer"

 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Hmm every position exepct goalkeeper??? Central midfielder are the QB's of soccer. they scan the field while other midfielders plus defenders are trying to get the ball. Might not hurt as much as getting hit by a linebacker but it's pretty much the same.



a tall guy getting hit by a tall guy hurts just as much as a small guy getting hit by a small guy. You dont have to be 6 feet 4 to be tough. Theres lots of contact in soccer. You obviously never played it. Soccer is a contact sport and american handegg is a collision sport. I can only laugh at you saying NFL players are faster than soccer players. a country of 300 million vs the rest of the world in terms of speed. hmmm. Clutch can you say penalty kicks?? free kick in the dying mins?? Alien skill. messi has that. no other human on the planet not matter how hard he trained could do what he does.
Not all soccer players are *******. we got ******* and hard men.
really... @ the bolded part... how dare you... there is absolutely NO comparison.. for starters, every-single-play in football, unless they're running the retarded wild cat, begins with the quarter back.

secondly, there are no cb or linebacker blitzes in soccer. there are no defensive schemes in soccer. 3-4, 4-3 etc. opposing coaches don't spend weeks developing specific defensive assignments/schemes/strategies targeted at a player the way it is done for Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. soccer players don't get tackled by 6'4 250 lb linebackers.
the quarterback position has no equal in all of sports, it is hands down THE hardest position to play in team sports. all they get, at most, is 3-4 steps to a. look at the defense b. look at each possible receiver c. look at the rush d. make a decision to throw a pass, throw it away, run or hand off.
4 seconds tops is what they get to do all of this, all while having behemoths trying to squash him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top