Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
And yes, it is a mod's duty to uphold the above, while still allowing FRIENDLY and HELPFUL bantering... we are all human, and it is enjoyable and entertaining and fun to partake in such - but not at expense of others or via insults, direct or shaded they may be.
Does this mean if some "furiner" comes in suggesting ozarkians are missing teeth and are none too bright - you'll get after them too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormiEssence View Post
So why did you choose to move to Mo from Ca? My boyfriend is from Texas and is ALWAYS trying to get me to move to Texas but I have no desire to leave Missouri!
It was a combination of things. I've lived in six southern states, some of them, including TX, more than once. I've also lived in the midwest and my wife has lived in the Ozarks.

Add to those experiences our desire to get out of California, wanting some place more affordable, looking forward to four distinct seasons and Missouri seemed the place to be.

By the way, I'm with you about Texas!

Besides, Silvermouse says! See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
Despite having lived in CA for a while, Curmudgeon is at heart, a good ole boy. Add to that fact he already has a toga - it makes him really hard to beat.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Good Luck in your Search Bud.........

Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Does this mean if some "furiner" comes in suggesting ozarkians are missing teeth and are none too bright - you'll get after them too?
Yeap - such has been done, and will be done, when either (a) such is seen, and/or (b) someone reports such to bring me aware of it. Now, of course us Ozarkians being proud and also not to ashamed to put forth our own shortcomings at times, what if it is not a furiner that speaks of toothless dull natives of these hills and hollers, but one of usins that posts such? That's why the type of friendly bantering, etc. all comes into play as to what is acceptable, for a healthy friendly helpful well-intentioned discussion - but not rude, unfriendly, and/or smart-arsed posts. Now that this has tapered a bit more off track from the main intent of this thread...

Old 08-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but when I first signed on city data, anyone that strayed from the cheerleaders party line were chastised pretty quickly. I'm sure many wonderful people were run off from that attitude too.
See...I guess I missed those posts. Again, I have tried to deliver a balance in my advice, on the board and in the flesh. This place (like every other place) is not for everyone. And come to think of it, parts of Missouri (since we're on the subject) are very different from other parts of Missouri. There are notable places in Missouri (and..again...other states) that I wouldn't want to live on a bet. I wouldn't fit there and they wouldn't want me! I've moved around a lot since leaving CA in '93 figuring out just where fit me.

Quote:
I like the balance of both ways because it is a wonderful state but it's not the Mayberry a person from another state sometimes expect. Also, as OB points out, Missourians are not standing out in their yards with open arms anxious for all these transplants to move here. Frankly I if I were to move to another state, I would appreciate hearing negatives too.
And I have been accused of being too much of a Mary Poppins, seeing too much of the good, rah rah rah. (You know who you are!)

So forgive my crankiness of yesterday morn...? I find that I may have been THAT PERSON who attacked the speaker of the idea rather than taking the time for friendly debate ...sorry to Shadowcaver AND to Ozarksboy!

Have a great weekend, wherever you are, wherever you want to be, may wherever you live remain peaceful.

And now...back to Curmudgeon...!

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 08-07-2009 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
And now...back to Curmudgeon...!
Thank yuu. Thank yuu vera much!

House hunting going nicely. We love the area and have been enjoying the sights; especially the natural aspects of it all. 'Tis a bit warm and can get a little sticky but nothing of any great note.

We think we're going to like it here (Sorry, OB)!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Have you found "the one" yet? House, of course.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:39 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Welcome Curmudgeon to Missouri and all that it has to offer. To offer. I say offer, because most of what a person may be seeking can be found here. Perhaps not all in one location, but it's here. Yes, love the green, green green. Love the frosty snow and ice, also. (As long as I don't have to drive in it!!!)

I am happy that you found our Lady of the Lake. If it is out there, I'm sure that she will lead you to it. Personally? I believe that you will be happy here as I haven't noticed any rose coloured glasses on any of your posts about what to expect with this move. Wish you the very best and will enjoy reading your daily reports about this house hunting. Hi there, Lake Junkie.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Have you found "the one" yet? House, of course.
Funny you should ask. Read on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Welcome Curmudgeon to Missouri and all that it has to offer. To offer. I say offer, because most of what a person may be seeking can be found here. Perhaps not all in one location, but it's here. Yes, love the green, green green. Love the frosty snow and ice, also. (As long as I don't have to drive in it!!!)

I am happy that you found our Lady of the Lake. If it is out there, I'm sure that she will lead you to it. Personally? I believe that you will be happy here as I haven't noticed any rose coloured glasses on any of your posts about what to expect with this move. Wish you the very best and will enjoy reading your daily reports about this house hunting. Hi there, Lake Junkie.
Thank you, NV. We are decidedly looking forward to real seasons.

LakeJunkie has been phenomenal. Not only is she delightful in person but she was quick to really "get it" in terms of our wants and needs. It took a whole 24 hours from start-to-finish to find "the one" and make an offer and we had a verbal acceptance in another 24.

The downside is that in order to get to the shore of Table Rock Lake we'll actually have to walk across our street. Boo Hoo!

LJ Rocks!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
So good to hear and wow that was FAST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area