Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Fort Worth has a higher percentage of minorities than all of those cities. And it's white population (40%) is less than STL City (44%).
So what? What does that have to do with anything? What is your point? Are you trying to say that minorities should not be in Democratic cities? Boston's White population is about the same as Ft. Worth. And the largest minority in Ft. Worth is Hispanics. And Boston is more than just a tech city.

And why did you disregard the rest of my post? If you are going to do that just don't respond at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what? What does that have to do with anything? What is your point? Are you trying to say that minorities should not be in Democratic cities? San Jose has an even lower White population than either of those cities. Boston's White population is about the same as Ft. Worth. And the largest minority in Ft. Worth is Hispanics.

And why did you disregard the rest of my post? If you are going to do that just don't respond at all.
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose. My point is that the cities that went for Trump or were too close to call are all doing better than Atlanta and STL.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose.
Fine then. I have drafted some more examples: Jersey City,NJ. Majority Minority City, next to very violent Newark. And yet, lower crime rate, much lower. Democratic city.

Now can you confront the rest of what I've been talking about. I asked some questions and you keep dodging them.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose. My point is that the cities that went for Trump or were too close to call are all doing better than Atlanta and STL.
And pretty much every other Democratic city is doing better than Atlanta or St. Louis. So we can't blame this on Democrats or Republicans. Something else Tulsa is in Oklahoma. It's a Republican city. It has been struggling with a rise in its crime rate.

And there is something else that hasn't been proven. It has not been proven that a Republican mayor would automatically improve the lives of Black people in these cities. Omaha has a Republican mayor. Blacks in Omaha are among the poorest in U.S. cities. Tulsa is a Republican city and has seen its murder rate go up. Oklahoma as a state has one of highest Black murder rates in the nation. Nebraska does too.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
OKC, Fort Worth, and Jacksonville said "Needed to parse", meaning the data isn't there. Virginia Beach is a military city and has a population under 500,000. Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix and still has a population of under 500,000. Mesa is 3.5% Black.

You mentioned cities of 500,000+ that voted for Trump. There are none. That wasn't by point. There is mention of "Democrats are the problem". Then I brought up Seattle, Boston, Denver. I can bring up more, like Minneapolis, St. Paul, San Jose. Then Blacks were brought up. At that point, we'll just look at the majority Black cities. That is what I was talking about. I brought up Atlanta because despite its problems, it is in nowhere as bad of shape as Memphis or St. Louis. So far, no one can come up with good answers, just something else.

One thing about Jacksonville is that it is a bit skewed. It has three Naval bases. Big submarine port, Navy port and a Naval Air station which can play a factor in voting patterns. People who work in industries related to the military typically vote Republican as they favor increased military spending. If those in the military decide to make that their residence and register to vote there then they're likely to lean Republican too.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
And pretty much every other Democratic city is doing better than Atlanta or St. Louis. So we can't blame this on Democrats or Republicans. Something else Tulsa is in Oklahoma. It's a Republican city. It has been struggling with a rise in its crime rate.
Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago? I honestly don't believe that democratic policies are working for minorities (especially blacks), I wish I could say differently. Asians seem to be doing fairly well regardless of where they reside, better than whites in many cases. Blacks, whites, latinos, are all not doing too great in the Rust belt. I think curbing immigration would help everyone that is currently here. Democrats seem to want to let in lot of refugees, not good. At least Trump is trying to bring back manufacturing jobs.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:

And there is something else that hasn't been proven. It has not been proven that a Republican mayor would automatically improve the lives of Black people in these cities. Omaha has a Republican mayor. Blacks in Omaha are among the poorest in U.S. cities. Tulsa is a Republican city and has seen its murder rate go up. Oklahoma as a state has one of highest Black murder rates in the nation. Nebraska does too.
I don't know much about Tulsa, but it seems to still have a somewhat rural mindset though. Very rural just outside cities like that. Cities like Atlanta, Houston, St. Louis, Memphis are older and all have urban sprawl and a bigger influence and less rural mindset than Tulsa or Omaha.

Oklahoma is not a very old state. Will it change? Who knows. Cities like Tulsa, Omaha are still basically in the middle of nowhere, cow towns. Just outside of the cities there is hardly nothing.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago? I honestly don't believe that democratic policies are working for minorities (especially blacks), I wish I could say differently. Asians seem to be doing fairly well regardless of where they reside, better than whites in many cases. Blacks, whites, latinos, are all not doing too great in the Rust belt. I think curbing immigration would help everyone that is currently here. Democrats seem to want to let in lot of refugees, not good. At least trump is trying to bring back manufacturing jobs.
Here in Florida it's the same way with the Hispanics and blacks are having problems. South of me is Ft Myers which has a bad crime issue with blacks. Then over in Leigh Acres there is crime issues with the Hispanics.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:

How is it that Atlanta and St. Louis are majority Black(with Atlanta being of a higher Black population), but Atlanta is markedly safer?
You've said a lot in your posts that I agree with and made some valid and interesting points. I did have to address this however.

As you may be aware, St. Louis City is a separate entity entirely from St. Louis County; so when the FBI does the crime reports it only takes into consideration the city, not any of the suburbs. The central core of most cities throughout the U.S tends to have a higher crime rate.

Therefore, when it comes to St. Louis, a more accurate measure of the crime rate is to compare metro area statistics with other metro areas. Comparing it that way, St. Louis (metro) is ranked safer than the Atlanta metro.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
One thing about Jacksonville is that it is a bit skewed. It has three Naval bases. Big submarine port, Navy port and a Naval Air station which can play a factor in voting patterns. People who work in industries related to the military typically vote Republican as they favor increased military spending. If those in the military decide to make that their residence and register to vote there then they're likely to lean Republican too.
Another thing that skews it is the fact that it's merged with Duval County. Military is a factor, but it's also the case with San Diego. But even San Diego County voted for Hilary Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis