U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 PM
 
1,133 posts, read 311,204 times
Reputation: 623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
OKC, Fort Worth, and Jacksonville said "Needed to parse", meaning the data isn't there. Virginia Beach is a military city and has a population under 500,000. Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix and still has a population of under 500,000. Mesa is 3.5% Black.

You mentioned cities of 500,000+ that voted for Trump. There are none. That wasn't by point. There is mention of "Democrats are the problem". Then I brought up Seattle, Boston, Denver. I can bring up more, like Minneapolis, St. Paul, San Jose. Then Blacks were brought up. At that point, we'll just look at the majority Black cities. That is what I was talking about. I brought up Atlanta because despite its problems, it is in nowhere as bad of shape as Memphis or St. Louis. So far, no one can come up with good answers, just something else.
OKC was the largest city that went for Trump and it beats ATL by crime rate and income. All of those cities destroy STL (300,000) in terms of crime and income as well. It is clear that republican policies are working in those cities. 4 out of 5 of them have republican mayors. The other one (Mesa) voted for Trump and has an independent mayor. The point is that you can't name a city that voted for Trump (or was a battleground, too close to call) that has worse metrics than STL or Atlanta. Not to mention the fact that all of those cities are growing.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dive...-donald-trump/

Quote:
President Trump carried Oklahoma City by over 40,000 votes, making it the largest city in the United States to vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 PM
 
41,572 posts, read 39,317,656 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
OKC was the largest city that went for Trump and it beats ATL by crime rate and income. All of those cities destroy STL (300,000) in terms of crime and income as well. It is clear that republican policies are working in those cities. 4 out of 5 of them have republican mayors. The other one (Mesa) voted for Trump and has an independent mayor. The point is that you can't name a city that voted for Trump (or was a battleground, too close to call) that has worse metrics than STL or Atlanta. Not to mention the fact that all of those cities are growing.
It is also clear that Democratic policies are working in places like Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Madison, Denver. My point was that D vs R has little to do with this. If Democratic policies will work in cities I've mentioned, but St. Louis is doing so bad, then there is something wrong with St. Louis. Besides, this who St. Louis vs Atlanta thing started because race was brought into this. You still did not answer any of my questions. No one has.

BTW, the only reason OKC voted for Trump is because it's primarily an oil city. When you're economy thrives on oil, your city will do fine. But even OKC has problems. Blacks don't seem to do well in Oklahoma in general, at least compared to the rest of the population. http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...a4bcf6878.html

http://oklahomawatch.org/2015/03/10/...ck-inequality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 PM
 
1,133 posts, read 311,204 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is also clear that Democratic policies are working in places like Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Madison, Denver. My point was that D vs R has little to do with this. If Democratic policies will work in cities I've mentioned, but St. Louis is doing so bad, then there is something wrong with St. Louis. Besides, this who St. Louis vs Atlanta thing started because race was brought into this. You still did not answer any of my questions. No one has.

BTW, the only reason OKC voted for Trump is because it's primarily an oil city. When you're economy thrives on oil, your city will do fine. But even OKC has problems. Blacks don't seem to do well in Oklahoma in general, at least compared to the rest of the population. Oklahoma ranks fifth highest in black homicides in U.S. | Homepagelatest | tulsaworld.com

Beyond the Racist Chant: The Facts About Black Inequality | Oklahoma Watch
Fort Worth has a higher percentage of minorities than all of those cities. And it's white population (40%) is less than STL City (44%). San Jose is a tech city so that doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 PM
 
41,572 posts, read 39,317,656 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Fort Worth has a higher percentage of minorities than all of those cities. And it's white population (40%) is less than STL City (44%).
So what? What does that have to do with anything? What is your point? Are you trying to say that minorities should not be in Democratic cities? Boston's White population is about the same as Ft. Worth. And the largest minority in Ft. Worth is Hispanics. And Boston is more than just a tech city.

And why did you disregard the rest of my post? If you are going to do that just don't respond at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 PM
 
1,133 posts, read 311,204 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what? What does that have to do with anything? What is your point? Are you trying to say that minorities should not be in Democratic cities? San Jose has an even lower White population than either of those cities. Boston's White population is about the same as Ft. Worth. And the largest minority in Ft. Worth is Hispanics.

And why did you disregard the rest of my post? If you are going to do that just don't respond at all.
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose. My point is that the cities that went for Trump or were too close to call are all doing better than Atlanta and STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 PM
 
41,572 posts, read 39,317,656 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose.
Fine then. I have drafted some more examples: Jersey City,NJ. Majority Minority City, next to very violent Newark. And yet, lower crime rate, much lower. Democratic city.

Now can you confront the rest of what I've been talking about. I asked some questions and you keep dodging them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:29 PM
 
41,572 posts, read 39,317,656 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
If oil cities don't count, then neither do tech cities. So you can eliminate Seattle and San Jose. My point is that the cities that went for Trump or were too close to call are all doing better than Atlanta and STL.
And pretty much every other Democratic city is doing better than Atlanta or St. Louis. So we can't blame this on Democrats or Republicans. Something else Tulsa is in Oklahoma. It's a Republican city. It has been struggling with a rise in its crime rate.

And there is something else that hasn't been proven. It has not been proven that a Republican mayor would automatically improve the lives of Black people in these cities. Omaha has a Republican mayor. Blacks in Omaha are among the poorest in U.S. cities. Tulsa is a Republican city and has seen its murder rate go up. Oklahoma as a state has one of highest Black murder rates in the nation. Nebraska does too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 PM
 
1,032 posts, read 402,660 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
OKC, Fort Worth, and Jacksonville said "Needed to parse", meaning the data isn't there. Virginia Beach is a military city and has a population under 500,000. Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix and still has a population of under 500,000. Mesa is 3.5% Black.

You mentioned cities of 500,000+ that voted for Trump. There are none. That wasn't by point. There is mention of "Democrats are the problem". Then I brought up Seattle, Boston, Denver. I can bring up more, like Minneapolis, St. Paul, San Jose. Then Blacks were brought up. At that point, we'll just look at the majority Black cities. That is what I was talking about. I brought up Atlanta because despite its problems, it is in nowhere as bad of shape as Memphis or St. Louis. So far, no one can come up with good answers, just something else.

One thing about Jacksonville is that it is a bit skewed. It has three Naval bases. Big submarine port, Navy port and a Naval Air station which can play a factor in voting patterns. People who work in industries related to the military typically vote Republican as they favor increased military spending. If those in the military decide to make that their residence and register to vote there then they're likely to lean Republican too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 PM
 
1,133 posts, read 311,204 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And pretty much every other Democratic city is doing better than Atlanta or St. Louis. So we can't blame this on Democrats or Republicans. Something else Tulsa is in Oklahoma. It's a Republican city. It has been struggling with a rise in its crime rate.
Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago? I honestly don't believe that democratic policies are working for minorities (especially blacks), I wish I could say differently. Asians seem to be doing fairly well regardless of where they reside, better than whites in many cases. Blacks, whites, latinos, are all not doing too great in the Rust belt. I think curbing immigration would help everyone that is currently here. Democrats seem to want to let in lot of refugees, not good. At least Trump is trying to bring back manufacturing jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 PM
 
1,032 posts, read 402,660 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And pretty much every other Democratic city is doing better than Atlanta or St. Louis. So we can't blame this on Democrats or Republicans. Something else Tulsa is in Oklahoma. It's a Republican city. It has been struggling with a rise in its crime rate.

And there is something else that hasn't been proven. It has not been proven that a Republican mayor would automatically improve the lives of Black people in these cities. Omaha has a Republican mayor. Blacks in Omaha are among the poorest in U.S. cities. Tulsa is a Republican city and has seen its murder rate go up. Oklahoma as a state has one of highest Black murder rates in the nation. Nebraska does too.
I don't know much about Tulsa, but it seems to still have a somewhat rural mindset though. Very rural just outside cities like that. Cities like Atlanta, Houston, St. Louis, Memphis are older and all have urban sprawl and a bigger influence and less rural mindset than Tulsa or Omaha.

Oklahoma is not a very old state. Will it change? Who knows. Cities like Tulsa, Omaha are still basically in the middle of nowhere, cow towns. Just outside of the cities there is hardly nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top