Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

A new life for Shoppingtown Mall? syracuse.com : ShoppingTown shines a little light on some new retail, food spots for the DeWitt mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
Southwest Airlines to take over AirTran service in Rochester in April | syracuse.com

Southwest Airlines to take over AirTran service in Rochester in April, which will now be a greater challenge for the Syracuse Airport Authority (SAA) to attract this airline. The CEO of Jetblue, David Barger said in an August 2010 interview that “For JetBlue, Syracuse is not competitive.” And that, he said, is a detriment to airlines and to economic development. “I think costs at this airport have stunted economic growth.”

He went on to say that Hancock has enormous potential with a large service area, "Hancock could support more air traffic, Barger said. The airport serves a “catchment” of around 2 million people, he said. Passengers come from Utica, Ithaca, Northern New York and Canada to fly out of Syracuse. The airport has the infrastructure — some from the days when Syracuse was a hub for Piedmont Airlines."

JetBlue CEO says airline is having a strong summer | syracuse.com

All that said, I have never found Southwest to be that reasonable anywhere. I always end up flying Jetblue or Virgin America (hint, hint SAA). You may want to consider Allegient Airlines.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Southwest Airlines to take over AirTran service in Rochester in April | syracuse.com

All that said, I have never found Southwest to be that reasonable anywhere. I always end up flying Jetblue or Virgin America (hint, hint SAA). You may want to consider Allegient Airlines.
Agree on Southwest. I'm flying cross-country later this year, and Southwest was consistently one of the most expensive options (even including bag benefits - by several hundred dollars). But yes, them taking over AirTran services in Rochester was an expected part of their merger.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Agree on Southwest. I'm flying cross-country later this year, and Southwest was consistently one of the most expensive options (even including bag benefits - by several hundred dollars). But yes, them taking over AirTran services in Rochester was an expected part of their merger.
I think at this stage Syracuse should forget about Southwest Airlines (unless they show an interest), but I would not give up on attracting other "low-cost" carriers, i.e Allegiant Airlines, Virgin Amerca, etc. It should learn from Rochester, Albany and Buffalo airports on how to reduce costs.

Another possibility, SAA should build on its relationship with Jetblue and seek its advice on ways to expand its committment to Hancock Int'l Airport with additional non-stop flights, i.e. competitiveness issues. Maybe Jetblue could turn Hancock into a "mini-hub" like Empire and Piedmont did years ago.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-22-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM

288 posts, read 510,374 times
Another great low cost airlines would be spirit airlines who fly in and out if Niagara Falls.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
So its all wild guesses at this point but it could work out to several feet of snow here by Tuesday.

Hybrid of Sandy, winter storm threatens East Coast : Weather : CNYcentral.com

My little voice has been telling me bad Winter. I bought a four wheel drive truck.

I kinda hope we do get nailed.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Another great low cost airlines would be spirit airlines who fly in and out if Niagara Falls.
As much as I would like to see additional low-cost service to Syracuse, Fort Lauderdale based - Spirit is a horrible airline! Hidden fees, canceled flights, rude service, etc. I would not shut the door in their face should they be interested in Syracuse, but I would not go out of my way ot pursue them.

Spirit Airlines Gives Us A Lesson In Really Bad Public Relations

Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Satisfying the appetite for a grocery store in Downtown Syracuse : News : CNYcentral.com

Satisfying the appetite for a grocery store in Downtown Syracuse, something we have been talking about (on this forum) for years. Its good to hear they are diligently pursuing a grocery store downtown, I think it will happen as the demand for housing downtown continues.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Satisfying the appetite for a grocery store in Downtown Syracuse : News : CNYcentral.com

Satisfying the appetite for a grocery store in Downtown Syracuse, something we have been talking about (on this forum) for years. Its good to hear they are diligently pursuing a grocery store downtown, I think it will happen as the demand for housing downtown continues.
Location and space will be key in attracting a grocery store to Downtown. Perhaps the spaces once occupied by the old Discovery Center on Clinton and the old Goldberg's/Fleischmann's Furniture Store could be converted into a grocery store, as that could allow for it to be of a normal size and for trucks to unload products.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:53 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
So is everyone ready for Frankenstorm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area