Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times

Advertisements

Yes! That's exactly what I mean... I'm glad that my post made *some* sense, however clumsily I worded it.

"The affluent" are spending their money on housing and "the affluent lifestyle" while others are LIVING. They're fulfilling their NEEDS, determining their priorities in a manner that's best for their families, saving resources for the future... they're looking to build a secure future, not the next things that will make them APPEAR that way.

They're the real deal. They're who would use public transportation. And knowing many of these people -indeed, hoping that we will be one of them someday - I hear them complain about the lack of convenient public transportation often. Not having to purchase, maintain, fuel, repair, and tag extra vehicles is a huge cost and stress savings... one that Those-with-money-and-stability would like to see HERE, in Syracuse.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,025 times
Quote:
2.) Hummer, Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Suburban or Tahoe, Ford Excursion or other cars that epitomize the suburban mafia construction, restaurant, bar and car repair business owner lifestyles.
as a Cicero homeowner that drives an 08 Expedition I don't know if I should resent that or not, considering I am in none of those professions and my home is far from sparsely furnished

Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,846 times
In response to Jrice Post 209:
Perhaps my post was poorly worded and carried too many assumptions. The list should have stopped at the Escalade since the other cars are very popular have owners covering a broad spectrum of occupations and demographic groups. My cousin has a 2006 Expedition, and I must say I have enjoyed driving it on several occasions. The point of my original post was to illustrate the flamboyant life styles of many of these "self made" and "hardknock" people from the city and depressed first ring suburbs that accumulate some money (both legitimately and illegitimately) and infiltrate more desirable suburban neighborhoods with their tacky lawn ornaments, landscaping, and cars with big rims. I apologize if the post was offensive.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times
You're just jealous, Royce!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
In response to Jrice Post 209:
Perhaps my post was poorly worded and carried too many assumptions. The list should have stopped at the Escalade since the other cars are very popular have owners covering a broad spectrum of occupations and demographic groups. My cousin has a 2006 Expedition, and I must say I have enjoyed driving it on several occasions. The point of my original post was to illustrate the flamboyant life styles of many of these "self made" and "hardknock" people from the city and depressed first ring suburbs that accumulate some money (both legitimately and illegitimately) and infiltrate more desirable suburban neighborhoods with their tacky lawn ornaments, landscaping, and cars with big rims. I apologize if the post was offensive.

No offense taken. And even if you had meant that as an insult, it wouldnt have affected me, as that I am 34 years old, have no mortgage and that truck I drive is paid for. So I am pretty happy with where I am in life. BTW, I have 18 inch rims--not by choice, it was the only truck available in the color I wanted so I had to take the 18inch chrome rims. The people that me make laugh are the run down houses on the south and north sides that have those escalades and navigators (usually with 22 inch rims) parked in front of homes that look like they should be condemned. Those people have no priorities in life IMO

Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
The people that me make laugh are the run down houses on the south and north sides that have those escalades and navigators (usually with 22 inch rims) parked in front of homes that look like they should be condemned. Those people have no priorities in life IMO
My point exactly! Eighteen inch rims are pretty standard on cars these days (mine included). I was referring to the 22 inch plus rims that cost probably more than the car is worth.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
My point exactly! Eighteen inch rims are pretty standard on cars these days (mine included). I was referring to the 22 inch plus rims that cost probably more than the car is worth.

The ones that irritate me are the spinners--thankfully I find it is a mostly west coast trend and hasnt made it big out here yet

Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You're just jealous, Royce!

Ah, the pink flamingos. Actually, that lawn display is pretty mild compared to some I've seen in north Jersey and Westchester County.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
The ones that irritate me are the spinners--thankfully I find it is a mostly west coast trend and hasnt made it big out here yet
The spinners are the worst. Two years ago, I remember seeing a pimped out Lincoln LS in Boca Raton, Florida with those spinners. It turned out the driver was an 85 year old man with a face like Groucho Marx!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The spinners are the worst. Two years ago, I remember seeing a pimped out Lincoln LS in Boca Raton, Florida with those spinners. It turned out the driver was an 85 year old man with a face like Groucho Marx!

LOL. I saw alot of those in Vegas. I think the worst I seen was a 79 Monte Carlo with had to be 24inch rims (spinners) and the tires were low profile and the side walls were like an inch. That has to be the most uncomfortable ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area