Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Maybe the problem isn't that the people working here are slow, maybe it's because some customers from up north are rude and impatient.
You guys sure like to bash northerners, a demographic that i would imagine brings down and spends enormous amounts of money and probably goes a long way to keeping the state financially afloat, its rather odd logic to live in a place that relies so heavily on tourism then do nothing but trash the tourists.
When i go to the super market if the line up for s the deli looks like its going to take a while i'll just pick up the pre packaged housebrand off the shelf as its usually the same stuff, as for checkout lines i've got that down pat,which ever line i get in will be the slowest line so why stress about it.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
For those of you that work in retail, what is the percentage of people that are just really bad customers?

I echo the Publix Deli Line (but not the check out line) here in Land O Lakes - I just grab my Cuban Sandwich from the display now even though I like they Deli one better. I have lived down south for over 15 years, and it was a shock the first time as I came from San Diego, CA.

The rest of it all I got used to and now enjoy. People in general are slower down here but as mentioned above, recommend learning to enjoy it.
Honestly, I don't go to the deli line @ publix. If I want those products (if, as they're not very healthy) I just get it from the fridge section... turkey, ham, cheeses.......

Nothing changes unless you let stores know and management know but NOT BUYING THEIR products and telling them why.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
For those of you that work in retail, what is the percentage of people that are just really bad customers?

I echo the Publix Deli Line (but not the check out line) here in Land O Lakes - I just grab my Cuban Sandwich from the display now even though I like they Deli one better. I have lived down south for over 15 years, and it was a shock the first time as I came from San Diego, CA.

The rest of it all I got used to and now enjoy. People in general are slower down here but as mentioned above, recommend learning to enjoy it.
Nobody is a bad customer BUT the companies have made it a bad experience to shop- I was by myself Sat. morn at 10 in my store as cashier and a line were present-- BUT I am forced to stop and open a charge card at the register,,,and the force comes from company policy. The lack of other cashiers is also the company not to schedule people, and then they want to yell and blame ME! that makes them JERKS. They know all about capitalism, yet do not want to be inconvenienced by lowering number of employees for better profits. they are putting more workloads on people less pay n benefits and you want what? The younger crowd lasts 3 mo and they are GONE- they wont put up very long for it. They may not have the bills, so can walk off the jobs. the turn around rate is the worse it has ever been/ and in retail- they do NOT hire full time people anywhere anymore either. So what do you want!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You guys sure like to bash northerners, a demographic that i would imagine brings down and spends enormous amounts of money and probably goes a long way to keeping the state financially afloat
Yeah, you know I would rather this state realizes that there are still locals around and that they should take care of its locals first...before attending to strangers who keep their license plate frames with their football teams from up north! Talk about "loyalties"!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
do nothing but trash the tourists.
Not the tourist we're talking about - it's the transplants who whine that Tampa/STP/Tampa Bay area isn't like their home area up north.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I agree BF. I think it's partly human nature for the whining. After all, were do you think we got the statement "We don't care how you did it up North". When I left NYC, I didnt want any of it to follow me. I did not want to see it replicated. It was what I was trying to get far away from, not to find it elsewhere.

I too wish the "up north" whiners would all get into their vehicles and retrace their steps right back to where they came from too. This is Florida. It's different. Much different. Thankfully. I feel that if one wants to leave one rat race to go into another, great, don't come to FL but find a place where you can carry on with it in a place where that is the normal.

Excuse me, but its time to go out on the deck, kick back, relax and thank God that I can do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not the tourist we're talking about - it's the transplants who whine that Tampa/STP/Tampa Bay area isn't like their home area up north.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
They arent showing you the slice, they want you to taste it. 25 minutes wait time? Must be a lot of folks ahead of you. Take a number, go about your shopping, stop back at the deli and you won't be wasting all that time.
I think there is just something completely flawed with that approach? They want me to taste it? Ummm, I know what I'm getting....because I'm ordering it... I don't need to taste it, especially since I've just gripped up like 3 shopping cart handle bars, which are filthy, touched raw eggs, picked up raw meat packages, etc. I don't want to touch the slice they give you. Not no way, not no how. Just slice my deli meat and make. it. QUICK!

Old 09-16-2013, 02:06 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
How about asking the person how his day is going. Show some appreciation that he/she's back there serving customers. Can you imagine serving people who are terse, impatient, and rude all day?
lol, that's cute, but let's be honest. I dont care how their day is going. I'm actually a bit annoyed that I've now been in line for upwards of almost a half hour. So, they get paid to serve the customers. I am not there to make small talk with some rando lady slicing my deli meat..

Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Yeah, you know I would rather this state realizes that there are still locals around and that they should take care of its locals first...before attending to strangers who keep their license plate frames with their football teams from up north! Talk about "loyalties"!
I would imagine most of these self appointed Florida natives are not far removed from coming from somewhere else themselves , perhaps even up north.
Its been my personal experience that most of the northerners i meet love Florida and are happy to be there, the only whining i hear about those from up north are from those long term Floridians who seem to think northerners just complain about Florida, if that was the case they either wouldnt come to Florida or they'd move back up north.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
What drives me absolutely crazy is the line at the Publix deli to get some cheese and lunch meat... It takes ages to be waited on. They take forever. This kind of horrible service at the Publix delis has been at every single Publix I've ever been to in FL. It takes forever for them to call your number.

1. U grab ur ticket
2. u wait an ungodly amount of time before they get through like 2 numbers.
3. 25 minutes later they call your number
4. Can never understand whatever they mumble out of their mouth, because they're from Haiti or something so...
5. U talk over them and spit out ur order as fast as u can
6. they take 4 minutes to find what meat to slice and unwrap it from that plastic wrap.
7. They then proceed to slice a piece....they then walk over to me and have me look at the slice.
8. immediately blurt out "yeah thats fine" ...short and terse.... because ur about to lose it
9. So help u god if u need cheese. It takes approximiately 3 minutes for them to wrap the meat back up
10. u order ur cheese
11. u die.

because it's taken so long to order that ur life is now passed u by because u had to wait SO long at the Publix deli.
LOLLLL the walking over with the slice, right? "Are you SURE you don't want a sample?" NOOOOOO!!!

The WORST part about Publix deli sandwich station is the poor sanitation. Every single one. They have caked on mayo and crap on the knife and think it's perfectly ok to slice your roll with it. Even if you aren't getting mayo. You ask them to WASH the knife and they look at you like, "Wash??"

They have dirty boards and think it's perfectly ok to put your clean roll on top of the previous person's onions, tomato seeds and peppers left over on the board. They don't even bother to put a paper under the roll at that point. The trays are a mess with onions and crap that fell into the lettuce etc. I also love when they ran out of already sliced cheese and meat and you have to wait to slice MORE. Like waiting to get change at the register when it's completely GONE.

Don't EVEN get me started on the baggers. Even if you let them bag for you, it's guaranteed you'll get all the food jumbled. Hot food in the same bag as frozen, cans in the bag with fruit. etc. Publix is the worst for bad bagger training. All they want to do is get OUT of the store and saunter your cart outside to get out of work awhile. LOL. Or Fresh Market cashiers scanning the merch then crowding it on that little space instead of scanning and putting it directly IN A BAG. Lastly, I've given up on the difficult concept of paying separately for "two orders". The baggers INSIST on shoving the second order into the first order's bags even when you SPECIFY "This is a separate order". WTH.

OH and don't ask for paper IN plastic. After you carefully explain the concept, it takes about 10 minutes for the bagger to insert the bag and open it.

I don't usually bash Florida but these employees wouldn't last one day up North, between the demands of the company and the demands of the customers.

If I want a hoagie, I go to Subway. The two near me are lightning fast and clean. And I don't have to smell that nasty burnt/dirty oil from chicken rotisseries/fryers.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-17-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay