Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM

204 posts, read 752,118 times

Advertisements

Texas and California are alot alike in many ways.
  1. They're both Southwestern states
  2. They're both warm all year round
  3. They both have a city thats polluted, but otherwise awesome, extremely populated, and are on a coast (Houston for Texas) (LA for CA)
  4. Both have some of the fastest growing economies in the world.
  5. They're both giant in size.
  6. They both have alot of Mexican culture
  7. They both make good Mexican food
  8. Both states were part of Mexico.
  9. Both have a state they make fun of right outside of them that start with the letter O (Oklahoma for Texas, Oregon for California)

Its true.... Texas and California are practically brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
#1 - They're not southwestern in the same sense.

#2 - I don't consider most of TX warm in the winter.

#3 - They have multiple cities that are polluted. The Central Valley is a cesspool and DFW, Austin & SA have more than their fair share of pollution.

#7 - Tex-Mex is still better.

#9 - While we make fun of OK and LA, I think Texas and California rip on each other more than anything.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
i freeze here in Texas in the winter. i have been to California in the wintertime-both SoCal and Central, and the winters there are MUCH milder. so i dont consider our winters "warm" (even the one year i was in South Texas, it was bitter cold on certain days-BITTER cold-i am talking, wearing my snowsuit to keep warm, fleece gloves and hat)

Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
OP: Texas and California are far from "brothers." CA is NOT Southwestern. Texas has Southern and Midwestern attributes that are non-existent in CA. Outside of being big, populous, and having Hispanic influences, the two states are NOTHING alike.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 PM

LA/OC and Houston are somewhat similar in a few aspects. Same goes for the central valley and other rural parts of Texas.

Otherwise CA is much different. It is a whole lot more beautiful state than Texas will ever be. Tell me where you can find this in Texas.

Oh yeah that's right; you can't!

Last edited by tstone; 02-04-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
#1 - They're not southwestern in the same sense.
Right on!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Quote:
LA/OC and Houston are somewhat similar in a few aspects. Same goes for the central valley and other rural parts of Texas.

Otherwise CA is much different. It is a whole lot more beautiful state than Texas will ever be. Tell me where you can find this in Texas.

Oh yeah that's right; you can't!
Well, the third photo looks like the area around Post, TX, except the Post area scenery is much more dramatic. There's also the Hill Country and Big Bend for wonderful scenery. No, we don't have huge trees or snow-capped mountains but there are some very beautiful places in Texas.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:17 PM

The 3rd picture is along the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Barbara. I was debating using that picture or this one. Some of these are from a phone camera so they aren't of the best quality- oh well.

My pictures are ordered in the way we drove. SD, Malibu, the PCH, SF, Sonoma, Sequoia and Death Valley. Everywhere we went was continuous eye-candy, unlike Texas. That's coming from a native Texan, and I don't apologize for it either.

Yes Big Bend and the Hill Country are very nice, but IMO Death Valley is way better than Big Bend (and the area where AL/GA/TN/NC meet beat up on the Hill Country). This is one way the two states are way different.

Last edited by tstone; 02-04-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
The 3rd picture is along the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Barbara. I was debating using that picture or this one.
I wondered why it looked so familiar.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:28 PM

283 posts, read 1,282,126 times
Quote:
tstone said: Otherwise CA is much different. It is a whole lot more beautiful state than Texas will ever be. Tell me where you can find this in Texas. Oh yeah that's right; you can't!
So jealous of Texas aren't you! Here's California as it ACTUALLY is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas