Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
You say this like it's a bad thing. It ain't!
It can be a good thing.... And by the way, where is Tonto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Tell a Canadian and an American that "We're all North Americans and that's really what's important." and see what reaction you'll get.
Why? ...just curious. I didn't say "north", so does that make a difference?

Old 07-03-2009, 04:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Tell a Canadian and an American that "We're all North Americans and that's really what's important." and see what reaction you'll get.
Not sure I get your point. However, I could tell that to my daughter (native Texan) and her husband (native Canadian) and see what kind of reaction I get. I suspect it won't be the one that you're expecting me to.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 14,227 times
Hi all. I never received a note that there were replies to my posting until this morning. It is like three months later. I am in California. Living near San Francisco and loving every single second. I'm sure the realities will set in later, but for now we are happy. We are renting a wonderful home outside of San Fran. Only been in California a few weeks, so stay tuned. Luckily, my husband has a great new job and we will enjoy the ride as long as it last. My experiences in Texas with racism were real. I assumed an anglo last name and do not look very ethnic. People did not ever hold back. We will see what happens in California.

I will say that when it comes time to retire, or if we ever move back to Texas, Austin is where we want to live.
Bascially, where I live reminds me of Austin -- the best city in Texas.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,909 times
I live in the wonderful state of Texas. I have to agree that there is too many who are arrogant, and they have no grounds for that behavior - just ignorance and immaturity. It is a diverse state, so we try to find people with similar interests. Any segment of our population can be bad or good, depending on the area you settle in. Gallup and Farmington, NM, were bad for me personally, but there were a few nice people ... You just have to focus on and associate with the positive ones anywhere that you live. And try to know your neighbors before owning. As for renting and if you have to sign a temporary lease agreement, make sure you can tolerate the situation if it doesn't work out!!

Texas does not have State Income Tax which is a good thing, but you have to have some knowledge of the county you have an interest in acquiring property in. Some property taxes and some city regulations and prices of utilities are unbelievable, like Dallas County, Denton County, Tarrant County, etc. The county Venus is in doesn't seem to be too bad. I hope crowded Tarrant County never spills over and corrupts this one!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyloving View Post
I am a native Texan. We are moving to California. Things I hope to escape

The blatant racism I have been exposed to my entire life. I am of Mexican decent, married to an anglo and have in the past 10 years of marriage heard more anti mexican remarks, then a mexican should ever be expected to tolerate. It's like if you don't like Mexicans, don't live in the most mexican part of Texas. Don't even get me started on black people. The racial divide in San Antonio is huge. Asians, they are only in nail salons and restaurants. That sounds horrible, but it is true. Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.

Violence - San Antonio is near the border, the mexican mafia is alive and well and the drug trade is strong here.

Close mindedness -- many close minded people here in SA. Close minded about many things, religion, politics, homosexuality.

The arts in San Antonio have no support -- The symphony is always broke

There is one culture here, hispanic. I want to experience more than just that.

There is one food here, Mexican, well, steak too !

There are four churches around the corner from my house and many, many religious hypocrites. I know a lady who puts her wine in a to go cup in public so no one from church knows she is having a drink. GAG !!!

People are friendly on the surface, but under that facade people are concerned that you are from the right religion and race

People are very showy with their money and things -- it is comical

Can't wait for a change in lifestyle

Just mexican food in San Antonio? Many top rated non mexican restraunts in the nation are in San Antonio. Ranked 6th in the U.S., La Reve French cuisine, the top rated in Texas. Just because San Antonio has great Mexican food does not mean thats all you will find here. As far as being gay in San Antonio, San Antonio has the highest percentage of Gay couples raising children in the U.S. Plus San Antonio Chief of police and mayor particpate in San Antonio's gay pride events. So your comments and the truth are quite the contrary.

This one is funny, "People are very showy with their money and things -- it is comical" Isn't that a American thing. Just in San Antonio, lol. I don't see San Antonio as pretentious. The arts are strong in San Antonio, the city has three historic arts districts, and recently ranked as having one of the best art scenes.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 03-28-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM

423 posts, read 824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyloving View Post
The blatant racism I have been exposed to my entire life. I am of Mexican decent, married to an anglo and have in the past 10 years of marriage heard more anti mexican remarks, then a mexican should ever be expected to tolerate. It's like if you don't like Mexicans, don't live in the most mexican part of Texas. Don't even get me started on black people. The racial divide in San Antonio is huge. Asians, they are only in nail salons and restaurants. That sounds horrible, but it is true. Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.
This is something a person who has never been to San Antonio would say, but assume all these things just because a city is located in a red state so it has to be racist... are you sure you lived in SA, TX?
SA may not be as liberal as Austin or DFW but it's definitely not filled with "ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks" especially to a point when "they're everywhere".

PS. I've seen plenty of folks in SA wearing cowboy hats and boots, but 99% of the time they turned out to be tourists trying to "blend in".

Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Patty if you are moving to the SoCal area you might see a few folks being showy with their money and things..oh and wait until they find out you are from San Antonio, Texas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas