U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,711,502 times
Reputation: 4774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe so. But if I'm driving there anyway, I'll sure take along a passenger or two a lot cheaper than the airline will.
Yup. Four of us going to Vegas in a car saves huge money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. Over half the people I know have taken a non-business related airplane flight in the past year--and that goes from people making $10 an hour to multi-millionaires. Also we are talking about air travel, not hotel rooms. Not everyoen who flies has to get a hotel room, many stay with family or friends.
Annerk ... These are people that YOU know ... Out of the people that I know personally who make much more than $10 per hour cannot afford a trip every year. I can barely afford it myself but I travel anyways because I only have one life to live and determined to enjoy my life. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't you live in Orlando? It is way more cheaper for someone in the Orlando area to fly coach to NYC, Bahamas, Caribbean, etc. than for someone on the West Coast to visit these same locales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Then you are a business traveler then who flies frequently that you accumulate miles faster than the average traveler and can benefit from frequent mileage programs. The average traveler travels much more infrequently.
I am a busienss traveler, however I also fly about once a month for personal/family reasons. I go for a long weekend to an area that's 1200 miles from my home, atwo days driving each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you travel regularly on SW for business you'd get upgraded to where you end up in priority boarding and have your choice of good seats. Otherwise just pay $10 for early-bird.

I actually find SW less stressful for general boarding for a couple reasons:

1. With numerical order boarding there is no mosh pit for each boarding group

2. Without the bag charges less people feeling compelled to bring too much crap as carryon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No ... I am not assuming anything ... I'm just pointing out a perk of driving versus flying because you stated that flying is often cheaper than driving. Obviously, since the planes are pretty packed, driving is not practical for many folks due to time restraints and other considerations. I don't even HAVE the option of driving as I don't even have a driver's license so flying is my only option if I need to get to another state, etc.
As long as I buy the ticket in advance, it costs me less to fly to see my mother 1200 miles away than it would to drive given the cost of gas and tolls. That doesn't include an oil change at the end of the trip and wear and tear on my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,711,502 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm not as well versed on plane configurations but I do know that I tend to feel more squished when I fly Delta and American versus Southwest. Maybe it's the way the seats are configured ... I dunno ...
Nah you aren't crazy, Annerk is feeding you some false info that 737 seat pitch are all 32 inches.

Southwest 32-33"
Delta 31-32"
American 31", or 31-32"
(United no 737)

An inch or two might not seem like a lot but can make a difference in how squeezed you feel.


Source:
Southwest Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
Delta Air Lines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
American Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
United Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:27 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you travel regularly on SW for business you'd get upgraded to where you end up in priority boarding and have your choice of good seats. Otherwise just pay $10 for early-bird.
Or pay nothing extra and get a first class seat and no checked baggage fees on other carriers. Hmm, as a regular busienss traveler, which makes more sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
So take the bus!

Airline tickets are cheap, very cheap, and you are getting exactly what you pay for. You want a Rolex watch at Walmart prices, Get real!

As for the expense and not being able to afford it, that;s your problem because you have low income and high expenses. If you made a lot of money and had little expenses, you probably wouldn;t be complaining about the price.

You may think you desreve more for the price your paying but the airline is actually giving you more service than your ticket pays for. The fact that you personally don;t make enough money to afford the better service available (first - Business - premium class) doen;t mean the airline owes you that service. You are getting the level of service for the what your paying.
Boy ... This post is certainly full of assumptions ... Where should we begin?

1. I'm not asking for a "Rolex" watch at Walmart prices! I flew first-class once on American and frankly, not impressed with first-class and think it is a waste of money. Oh, I forgot, I also flew first-class on American Eagle and my seat was right across from the surly flight attendant AND there was a opened can of V-8 juice left in the pocket of the seat in front of me. I'm happy with coach but things could be improved with the level of service such as:

- Rude service: Why should someone who flies economy have to endure being treated as if they don't deserve courteous treatment? I've paid as much as $600 for a coach ticket and that isn't chump change so why treat me as if I am less than another passenger who may have gotten their first-class seat because they are a family member of an employee who barely anything for their ticket!
- Inflexible cancellation policies
- Plane configurations: This isn't my issue but for those who are tall, the average coach seat doesn't allow sufficient leg room. Not every tall traveler can afford the higher cost first-class seat.

2. I am not "low-income" but considered middle class. My monthly expenses are under $2,000 and don't have car payments. Any extra money goes towards savings and an occasional splurge. I am also not wealthy where I can just spend several hundred dollars without batting an eyelash. As a smart consumer, I believe in getting good value for my dollar and frankly, air travel could be cheaper.

3. The bus/train takes more time than driving to a destination. Neither bus/train/driving is an option as I don't have the luxury of time.

Last edited by Chatteress; 07-29-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,711,502 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Or pay nothing extra and get a first class seat and no checked baggage fees on other carriers. Hmm, as a regular busienss traveler, which makes more sense...
Now you are changing the context. You were specifically dismissing Southwest because:

"to check in so I don't end up sandwiched in the middle seat of the last row between a lady with a 40 pound lap baby and a sumo wrestler?"

That doesn't make sense as it isn't a valid concern for a regular business traveler on Southwest, that is what I was pointing out. I'm not saying Southwest is best for you, or that you don't have other business traveler advantages on another airline, but your quoted argument above against Southwest isn't really one at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,873 posts, read 20,168,923 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I am a busienss traveler, however I also fly about once a month for personal/family reasons. I go for a long weekend to an area that's 1200 miles from my home, atwo days driving each way.
That's good that you have that option ... Since you fly so often for business/pleasure, you must have a lot of frequent flyer miles and perhaps, tax write offs for the business travel. As an infrequent flyer, I don't have either perk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top