U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
852 posts, read 808,411 times
Reputation: 1364

Advertisements

I won't ever set a foot in The Vatican again. One day was more than enough to see all it's riches. Another one -albeit not as popular- would be Liechtenstein. Lovely tiny country that got me one more stamp in my passport.

Last edited by Aztecgoddess; 04-13-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 04:52 PM
 
38,178 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Reputation: 24615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I really enjoyed Montreal and found that the people there had no problem speaking English. I heard that in Quebec City, people got snooty if you didn't speak French.

As Canada is an English speaking nation, I suspect that most people in Montreal are able to speak English. Certainly, everyone at the conference was able to speak English.

Every other session was in French and they provided translation headphones for people who did not speak French. During the English speaking sessions, not a single soul used the translation headphones.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Montreal. Are you planning to return for another visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
 
13,169 posts, read 20,791,547 times
Reputation: 35459
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I would never go to Montreal, Canada again.

About ten years ago, I was part of a group invited to present at a conference at McGill University. People were rude to us everywhere we went. I've been to France several times and never been treated quite like this.

At lunch, people at the conference would speak French, leaving us out of the conversation. They could all speak English. In fact, sometimes would ask us in English how it felt to not be able to understand what was being said.

It was the darndest thing I've ever experienced.

If tourism is a major part of their economy, I'm not surprised that Montreal's economy lags behind that of other Canadian cities. It was one of the most unwelcoming places I've ever been.
My brother echoed your experience. He was hired as a US sales rep for a company based in Montreal. He had to go there for his initial 2 week training, and then returned often over the years. He liked the company, hated the office, because nobody would speak English to him, nor did they encourage his attempts to polish his French with them. He found it very uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 AM
 
38,178 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Reputation: 24615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My brother echoed your experience. He was hired as a US sales rep for a company based in Montreal. He had to go there for his initial 2 week training, and then returned often over the years. He liked the company, hated the office, because nobody would speak English to him, nor did they encourage his attempts to polish his French with them. He found it very uncomfortable.
Thanks for posting this. I was beginning to wonder if our group's experience was out of the norm. Perhaps everyone else was welcomed with open arms.

Their disdain for those who did not speak French like a native made interactions awkward, like we had crashed a private party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Reputation: 29451
^^ My ex-FIL had a similar experience when his employer was bought out by Total and he had to travel to Paris for business frequently. His French colleagues would only speak English with him when absolutely necessary and would do nothing to help him improve his French, basically sneering at him whenever he tried. It didn't take him long to develop a profound loathing for the French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I'm not American but i'm going to assume [Panama City Panama] is the same kind of place as Spain is to British people i.e full of drunk Americans.
Uhm..... no. If I had to guess at how many Americans have ever even been to Panama City, I'd take a stab at less than 1%. I'd bet less than half have even heard of it; when you say "Panama City" to the average American they're going to think of the city in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
 
12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Reputation: 34805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Italy!!
How did you eliminate southern France and Spain from your list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
 
Location: plano
6,569 posts, read 8,103,218 times
Reputation: 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Because you expect them to speak English and don't even bother to learn a few French phrases or greetings.
I could care less what they speak. I do not disrespect them and expect the same. I know a lot of French phrases but not the ones they called me.. Defend the French if you wish and spend your money there I won't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM
 
673 posts, read 2,452,493 times
Reputation: 406
Greece - because you pretty much have to go through Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2014, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,748,743 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I could care less what they speak. I do not disrespect them and expect the same. I know a lot of French phrases but not the ones they called me.. Defend the French if you wish and spend your money there I won't
Your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top