U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Montana
522 posts, read 556,298 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Do you smoke? Drink? Own a car when you could take mass transit? Buy clothes from other than thrift shops? There are many things we could all do to cut our budgets. we make choices. You are making one to move overseas. Your choice.
Smoke? No. Drink? No. Own a car? Nope, selling it. I buy my clothes from Salvation Army and buy food at 99 cent store... I'm not making the choice to ride a plane. That was just the cheapest option. I'm moving to another country, but how do you know if that was a choice? What would you say if I told you it was because I was going to take care of my ill Mother?

 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Montana
522 posts, read 556,298 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
i always let the person know i will be reclining and give them a reasonable amount of time to move their stuff or legs as the case may be. A few minutes is reasonable, 10 minutes is not. If they are a jerk about it, i simply fling the seat back. Don't be a jerk to me when i'm trying to be nice to you. (not you personally)
"Excuse me, just wanted to forewarn you that me, myself, and I will be reclining! I'm giving you ten minutes to move things. I know, I'm just that nice. Call me Mother Teresa. Oh, you aren't moving your stuff?" *FLING*
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,071,243 times
Reputation: 2564
3 hours-yet no one has seen an attendant insist on the right to recline trumping comfort?
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Smoke? No. Drink? No. Own a car? Nope, selling it. I buy my clothes from Salvation Army and buy food at 99 cent store... I'm not making the choice to ride a plane. That was just the cheapest option. I'm moving to another country, but how do you know if that was a choice? What would you say if I told you it was because I was going to take care of my ill Mother?
That is a choice. There is no law requiring you to do so. It might not be an easy choice, but it is a choice.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
3 hours-yet no one has seen an attendant insist on the right to recline trumping comfort?
I have seen this argument several times on flights, and the attendant has always told the person complaining that the person in front has the right to recline.

Always. UA, US, and AF.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Montana
522 posts, read 556,298 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That is a choice. There is no law requiring you to do so. It might not be an easy choice, but it is a choice.
That's not a choice. It's a commitment.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,071,243 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have seen this argument several times on flights, and the attendant has always told the person complaining that the person in front has the right to recline.

Always. UA, US, and AF.
Great. One hand up. I never have. We're tied!

Was that because the person behind wanted to use their laptop? Or because they had inadequate leg room to allow it?
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
That's not a choice. It's a commitment.
Nope. Choice.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
 
6,353 posts, read 5,170,148 times
Reputation: 8528
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm seeing 2A 2C R/T for $6222 including all taxes in Premium Economy on Virgin Atlantic.
Premium Economy isn't business class. The seats are just as narrow as in economy. There is more legroom but I am not especially tall. I am somewhat husky. No, I'm not big enough to need two seats. ORD LHR means flying all night.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM
 
11,942 posts, read 20,414,269 times
Reputation: 19341
I don't recline my seat -- I don't find it comfortable as I have a tendency to sit bolt upright on a plane. I have a short torso, I sit bolt upright everywhere. However I've been in planes where people recline on me -- and I'm short so it doesn't bother me.

However -- if we all just practiced a little common courtesy (which is increasingly in short supply) all this hoo-haw would disappear. Planes aren't comfortable, they are busses in the sky. You making yourself at home on a plane SHOULD NOT make me uncomfortable.

My making myself at home should not make you uncomfortable.

Either one of those things means one has to give a little, and other has to give a little so we are both more or less a little uncomfortable, instead of one person getting everything they want at the expense of the other passenger.

Oh, wait. That will NEVER happen, because we live in a special snowflake society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top