U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows reclining, I recline. If the person behind me thinks he has too little space, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.

 
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,766,981 times
Reputation: 2236
I recline as soon as I am able to on every flight I've ever been on.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,066,564 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows reclining, I recline. If the person behind me thinks he has too little space, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.
To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows sitting, I sit. If the person in front of me thinks he needs to recline into my leg room, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 11:42 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows sitting, I sit. If the person in front of me thinks he needs to recline into my leg room, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.
your argument doesn't start to make sense.

It is clear the airline policy allows reclining. The airline never guarantees any certain amount of "legroom" which prohibits the front passenger from reclining. When you buy the ticket, you are agreeing that the legroom you surely will get is when the front seat reclines.

Plus, when you recline too, you get additional leg-room to offset the lost space too.

He should pay an upgrade? Reclining was standard policy, it was never an upgrade. Otherwise Boeing wouldn't be making reclining seats in the first place.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,066,564 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
your argument doesn't start to make sense.

It is clear the airline policy allows reclining. The airline never guarantees any certain amount of "legroom" which prohibits the front passenger from reclining. When you buy the ticket, you are agreeing that the legroom you surely will get is when the front seat reclines.

Plus, when you recline too, you get additional leg-room to offset the lost space too.

He should pay an upgrade? Reclining was standard policy, it was never an upgrade. Otherwise Boeing wouldn't be making reclining seats in the first place.

your argument doesn't start to make sense.

It is clear the airline policy allows sitting. The airline never guarantees any certain amount of "reclining" which prohibits the rear passenger from legroom. When you buy the ticket, you are agreeing that the reclining space you surely will get is when the rear seat has adequate legroom.

He should pay an upgrade? Adequate legroom was standard policy, it was never an upgrade. Otherwise Boeing wouldn't be providing legroom in the first place.



See how both sides can make the same arguments?

This is fun.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Bran's tree
11,075 posts, read 4,867,242 times
Reputation: 12426
Do people realize that they can modulate how much they recline? I don't not recline at all, because when fully 'upright', the seat makes you actually hunch forward, which is horrible for your spine, especially for a 14 hour flight.

But I don't think it's considerate to take full advantage and recline all the way. I hate that. I'm extremely tall with disproportionately long legs, so I end up literally stuck and wedged if someone reclines all the way.

Honestly, the problem could be solved without needing any extra room by just having the seat default leaning slightly back rather than slightly forward. It's a much more natural posture, which means less people competing for the cramped space.

Current seats are like this: /////
Why not make seats like this: \\\\\

The distance between those two lines are the same, but it's a much more natural and comfortable position for passengers.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,687 posts, read 2,058,206 times
Reputation: 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Current seats are like this: /////
Why not make seats like this: \\\\\
I think it's because the seat belts are more effective when you are upright. /////
 
Old 10-29-2014, 03:50 PM
 
405 posts, read 420,088 times
Reputation: 464
I voted that I recline all the way because it's my right. I don't recline all the way, but I do recline a little bit, just enough to get out of the full upright position.

I'm 6'3" and have no issues when the person in front of me reclines all the way as long as they are willing to sit back up long enough to let me out if I need it, during meal service, and since I usually have my bag under the seat in front of me, then they need to sit back up if I need to get something out of my bag or put it back in. Other than that, people are welcome to recline on me all flight long if they choose to do so.

I don't recline all the way because I choose not to do so, but believe me, if I were to choose to recline all the way, nobody would stop me and if they want to be rude about it, I'll be less likely to feel sorry for them and sit up again.

It also amazes me all of these people that think, "I don't like reclining seats so the airlines should eliminate those seats and it wouldn't be a problem anymore." Other people say things like, "I paid for my seat so I'm entitled to all of it so the person in front of me shouldn't be reclining." Some people have to recline, at least on long flights, so if the airlines were to eliminate reclining seats, then it would unfair to those passengers that do need to recline. Not everybody can afford to pay for business or first class either so those aren't always options. For instance, somebody might live in Florida, but have a relative in California that dies so they need to get their quickly for the funeral. Economy seats at the last minute will cost an arm and a leg so imagine how much a business class or first class seat will cost at the last minute. Then, if it's a family of 4, you can forget the average person buying anything other than economy at the last minute. Then, for the people who say it's their right to not have a seat reclined in their lap, the same rule applies to the people that want to recline. The seat reclines, therefore, it's their right to use it.

Now, right doesn't mean that it's not rude. There is etiquette to consider when reclining on the person behind you. Make sure it's not meal service, don't slam your seat back, and if you don't have to go all the way back, then only go back as far as you need to. Etiquette applies to the person in back also. If somebody is reclined all the way and you need some space to move or get up or whatever, ask the person nicely and more often than not, they will sit up again. You will run into the occasional person that won't accommodate you, but that's a problem with that person, not the seat reclining. Those people though would eventually annoy you anyway, either by reclining their seat or any number of other things that they could do. I have personally had to deal with more rude people when I recline just a little bit than I have when I've asked the person in front of me to sit up for a short time. The people behind me will kick my seat, pull on seat when they get up, decide they have to use the restroom every 5-10 minutes. This one person that did all of that was a woman that I'd guess to be about 5'2" and maybe 105lbs so she wasn't tall enough to need the extra leg room and when she got up, she could do so without me even having to put my seat up again, but she chose to do it anyway simply because she didn't like it, not because it was an inconvenience to her.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,595,335 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows reclining, I recline. If the person behind me thinks he has too little space, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.
So what you are saying is that you only care about yourself and how much room you have. Selfish
 
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,595,335 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I travel a lot and am tired of people who recline their seats all the way back. If it was up to me there would be no recline at all. The news is full of stories of passengers fighting over seat recline. I would solve it by eliminating that option.

What do you think about reclining seats on planes? Please take my poll.
Yes this is an American thing, I noticed it while there.. it dose not happen here. Ryanair does not allow us to recline our seats and it is fantastic.

I really do not care if people recline their seats on a long flight but anything under 4 hours is too much there is no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top