Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

My main point is that this effect doesn't show up in the air temperature. A room temperature of 76 degrees doesn't translate to the same comfort level in all dwellings.
And a thermostat setting of 76 does not mean the room temperature in rooms closer to the exterior walls is 76.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My family has had a beach condo they've rented out for long before anyone came up with the term 'sharing economy'. Higher utility costs (and yes, they tell renters to not have the balcony door open when the AC is running full but it still happens) and breakage and petty theft from renters are going to happen in the short term rental process; no one cares as much about your own property as you do, and it's just how it rolls. And even the most considerate guests will occasionally drop some glassware or accidentally pack up one of your towels when they're trying to shove everything in their suitcase and get to the airport on time. Stuff happens, and you need to accept and plan for it.

IMO, Air BnB does a poor job of portraying the down sides of short term rentals because they just want their commission on as many transactions as possible.
Towels dissappearing or getting hair color on them if the guest decides to color her hair, jelly smeared on walls by young kids, greased smeared on bed sheets as if someone dropped a pizza or chicken legs, carpets stained, xuttlery vanishes. All the pleasures of being an Airbnb host. And yet ppl payng $25 expect treatment as if they pay $100. Not gonna happen.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Towels dissappearing or getting hair color on them if the guest decides to color her hair, jelly smeared on walls by young kids, greased smeared on bed sheets as if someone dropped a pizza or chicken legs, carpets stained, xuttlery vanishes. All the pleasures of being an Airbnb host. And yet ppl payng $25 expect treatment as if they pay $100. Not gonna happen.
Why do you keep complaining about the price when only you has the power to change it?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
As a heating guy, I'm sure you know that cold does NOT radiate, heat does. What you feel as radiating cold is the heat leaving the air and your body in a futile attempt to heat the walls and windows, which are actually radiating heat to the even more cold outdoor world.
thank you, had a chuckle over the post you responded to

Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
well, I am an airbnb host myself. I never specified the thermostat limits but I did buy an intelligent one that I can control the settings from my phone from all over the globe if I travel.

Guess what? I had a guest who, although found the house warmed up at 70, goes in and puts in on 76! I immediately set it back on 70 and sent the guy a note about it! I was furious!!! It shows disrespect!
I'm not going to give him a bad review though, but I was as mad as I suppose your host in Cleveland was.

My personal opinion is that by doing something that one doesn't do at home - because it is very expensive - you take advantage of the host. It is disrespectful.
Sorry but you are the one being disrespectful here. 76 is not an outrageous setting for the thermostat. Especially for people that may be traveling and used to living in different climates. 70 is wayyyyy too cold for me and my spouse to ever get comfortable. We keep our house 74-75 24/7 all year. If I am short on funds in the summer I will let it go up to 78-80. I see some posts where people say they set the temp to 60 at night. Not a freaking chance that would work for me, it would be like sleeping in my backyard.

I really believe that this may come down to where you live and what temps you are used to. I can't even imagine living with the thermostat set at 70, we would be wearing coats and gloves inside in that temp. I am a native of Phoenix AZ.

I would love to have the owner that gave the OP a bad review come stay at my house in Phoenix in August and I will force him to keep the temp at 87-90. I will make me a little uncomfortable and they will feel like they are dying from heat stroke lol.

Last edited by shorman; 02-01-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,234,050 times
OP here....
OK...I'm giving Airbnb another shot, one year later, starting tomorrow. Same annual trip to Cleveland, same length of time, different location. Haven't done it since the one from the original post.
It'll also be about 40 degrees, not 10. Here's hoping it goes well.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If this happened to me I would ask AIRBNB to let me change my review and post a somewhat more negative review of the place.
You can't change your review just because you don't like what the owner said in their review. The OP had her chance to write an honest review. If she chose not to be honest, that is her fault. Once she saw the owner's review, she lost her chance to edit her own review.

When writing a review on airbnb, you can't see the owner's review until after youve submited a review or so many days have past. After 14 days, you will no longer have the option to leave a review. It's the same with the owner's reviews. Neither side sees the other's review before submitting their own. This is to prevent people from retaliating against negative feedback with their own negative reviews.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:51 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
76 is NOT high...especially given he's keeping/maintaining the temp low, likely to save money. Well, when you have a paying guest in the winter in Cleveland, heat WILL be necessary. I would offer a fairly neutral explanation so other hosts can perhaps get a better picture of what really happened. I don't think you should just let his review "stand" as is - but don't get nasty about it as that won't help you.
I agree. I'm baffled people keep their homes so cold. I'm a California born, always-freezing-my-butt-off-if-it's-below-75-degrees sort of person. I can't imagine setting the temp so low as some people in this thread.

All of this drama is one reason I never wanted to use Airbnb. If I'm going to rent a living space, I want to be able to fully control that space, and I'm willing to pay more money to do so.

The Airbnb owner is allowed to have whatever rules they like, but if specific temp limits weren't set in the rules, OP did nothing wrong. The owner can't expect OP to read his mind. The rules should've been set, or owner should stay quiet this time around and consider this issue before he rents the room again. Leaving a bad review for OP is ridiculous and not acceptable, and if I was OP, I'd respond and defend myself.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:56 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Sorry but you are the one being disrespectful here. 76 is not an outrageous setting for the thermostat. Especially for people that may be traveling and used to living in different climates. 70 is wayyyyy too cold for me and my spouse to ever get comfortable. We keep our house 74-75 24/7 all year. If I am short on funds in the summer I will let it go up to 78-80. I see some posts where people say they set the temp to 60 at night. Not a freaking chance that would work for me, it would be like sleeping in my backyard.
Same! Glad it's not only me. 70 is barely hitting the line of being semi-tolerable, for me. 75-ish is where "comfortable" starts.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:20 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Same! Glad it's not only me. 70 is barely hitting the line of being semi-tolerable, for me. 75-ish is where "comfortable" starts.
Except that the OP left it on 76 the entire time he was in that city, not just when he was in the airbnb. There is absolutely no need to keep a thermostat turned up that high all day long when no one is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel