U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,759 posts, read 6,564,092 times
Reputation: 9506

Advertisements

Here is a good little nugget - interview with Tony Lazarro's friend's girlfriend- who was over at the apartment when Casey would be there with Caley, and then in late June/July 2008, without Caley - she states that Casey told her that "her [Casey's parents] had moved out of their house and had left the house to Casey and Caley."

caylee_anthony_transcript_M_Kissh071708.htm

Its really quite astounding to see the amount of lying this chick did - to everyone in her life! She was spinning crap left and right to every single person in her life. I recommend reading through the other transcripts on that site if you are interested in seeing in graphic detail the extensive layers of lies she spun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,493 posts, read 19,699,614 times
Reputation: 7923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
No, those lies didn't benefit her at all. They only put off the inevitable. And it seems that those lies are going to get her convicted. I still think she told those lies to put off dealing with the horrible situation. She used sex and drinking and partying to try to make herself not think about reality, IMO. A lie which would have benefited her would not have gotten her in this mess. A cold, calculating sociopath or psychopath would have come up with a far better way to deal with the situation than she did. Her method reminds me of a very immature teenage girl.
An immature teenage girl does not off her child. A sociopath or psychopath does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,493 posts, read 19,699,614 times
Reputation: 7923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
No, you're wrong. Jose Baez would have been required to divulge that information to the Court if he KNEW that Casey really intentionally killed Caylee. I'm sure he would not have risked being disbarred for life as well as being criminally charged if he kept a secret like that!!

Also, EVERY defense attorney will tell their client NOT to talk to anyone outside the legal team about the case because they don't want their clients revealing every detail of the case to the whole world. I'd think it would be serious malpractice if a defense attorney did not advise their clients not to talk to people outside the legal team.
Are you familiar with attorney-client privilege?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM
 
3,753 posts, read 7,501,984 times
Reputation: 3711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you familiar with attorney-client privilege?
True - Baez could not disclose a confession without violating the privilege. Generally, an attorney can disclose a future crime; cannot permit his/her client to testify to something false and cannot lie to the court. Often if a client confesses guilt, and his/her defense directly contradicts (not for example insanity; heat of passion) in order to avoid lying to the court - the attorney will withdraw, but will not disclose the confession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 767 times
Reputation: 10
I just have one question? Why has no one really look at the fact of her boyfriend. Think about it. He was the last one with both of them. It was a reason she wanted to talk to him so bad. Everything dance around him but no one really look at him as subspect. Big question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 PM
 
1,369 posts, read 1,779,069 times
Reputation: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
No, you're wrong. Jose Baez would have been required to divulge that information to the Court if he KNEW that Casey really intentionally killed Caylee. I'm sure he would not have risked being disbarred for life as well as being criminally charged if he kept a secret like that!!
As others have said, this is not true, and is the opposite of the law. This gives a good overview of attorney-client privilege with respect to criminal matters: Attorney Client Privilege in Criminal Cases | Lawfirms.com

"Can a Lawyer Represent a Guilty Defendant?

Yes, in fact, they are ethically bound to do so in some ways. Granted, a private attorney can decline to represent your case, but for a public defender or court-appointed attorney, they must still offer a vigorous legal defense regardless of their personal opinion on their client’s guilt. Even if a client confesses their guilt to an attorney, the attorney is ethically obligated to task the government with proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty of a given crime. In other instances, an attorney and client may elect to acknowledge guilt of certain crimes and go to trial seeking a more lenient sentence or defend their guilt regarding part of the charges. Again, the attorney-client privilege exists even regarding knowledge of guilt, and attorneys must represent a guilty client to the best of their ability."

****

This case is so confusing, I've gone back and forth on accident versus premeditated, but the thing that sells me on premeditated is the fact that Amy Huizenga actually filed a change of address to the Anthony's home address based on Casey's claim that her parents were getting divorced and leaving the house to Casey, so Amy could move in. That fact also makes me wonder if the computer searches were also for possibly murdering her parents. That, along with her behavior after Caylee was dead, especially the tattoo, just says to me that she planned it.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of reasonable doubt that Caylee died by suffocation from the duct tape. I simply think that there is no way to know how she died. I too think that the duct tape could have been applied to keep the decomposition fluids from leaking out, but, uh, not to be gross, but that would mean that there should be additional tape on other parts of the body if that were the reason. Cindy Anthony testified that Caylee was pretty much potty-trained.

And can somebody explain to me what relevance searching for "shovel" might have? I've never understood why that is relevant. What information about shovels would you need to research?

I am so glad I'm not on this jury. There is so much conflicting information in this case, I don't think I could ever make a decision.

Oh, and I think she will be found guilty, and get life, because I don't think a jury would be comfortable choosing death without really knowing how Caylee died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 AM
 
461 posts, read 675,033 times
Reputation: 1006
In the hot climate Caylee's dead body decomposed quite quickly. Tape around her mouth would do nothing to help the seeping of fluids as the skin will expand and pop. Fluids leak from everywhere.

The prosecutor does not need to prove the method of death. Casey was Caylee's guardian at the time of death. Casey's possible sexual abuse can only be considered as a possible mitigating factor but there is no evidence of it. As an adult, regardless of previous abuse, Casey had a responsibility to care for her child. It's highly offensive to all sexually abused people that it's being asserted by some here that they are somehow more likely to be liars and murderers according to those willing to buy the defense's argument.

Casey has been tested by psychologists and was deemed 'sane'.
The prosecutor was correct in their rebuttal closing argument about how Casey acted like someone guilty and not a grieving, abused mother. A guilty person lies, obstructs justice, is vague about what happened to a child that was under her care. She's a liar and a cold-blooded killer. Pure evil. It's hard for people to comprehend as you live innocent lives but those who have been victims of violence know the perpetrator doesn't always look like a monster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 AM
 
288 posts, read 134,323 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you familiar with attorney-client privilege?
Yes. Are you familiar with the exceptions?

http://law.onecle.com/florida/evidence/90.502.html

Last edited by Morgain; 07-05-2011 at 03:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 AM
 
288 posts, read 134,323 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
In the hot climate Caylee's dead body decomposed quite quickly. Tape around her mouth would do nothing to help the seeping of fluids as the skin will expand and pop. Fluids leak from everywhere.

The prosecutor does not need to prove the method of death. Casey was Caylee's guardian at the time of death. Casey's possible sexual abuse can only be considered as a possible mitigating factor but there is no evidence of it. As an adult, regardless of previous abuse, Casey had a responsibility to care for her child. It's highly offensive to all sexually abused people that it's being asserted by some here that they are somehow more likely to be liars and murderers according to those willing to buy the defense's argument.

Casey has been tested by psychologists and was deemed 'sane'.
The prosecutor was correct in their rebuttal closing argument about how Casey acted like someone guilty and not a grieving, abused mother. A guilty person lies, obstructs justice, is vague about what happened to a child that was under her care. She's a liar and a cold-blooded killer. Pure evil. It's hard for people to comprehend as you live innocent lives but those who have been victims of violence know the perpetrator doesn't always look like a monster.
Your opinion ^^^^. The prosecutor needs to convince the entire jury of its theory.

It would probably be very enlightening for you if you consulted teh Florida statutes regarding the charges, what sentence each charge carries, as well as the jury instructions by the Court. There's a link to the jury instructions in one of these Casey Anthony threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 AM
 
288 posts, read 134,323 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
As others have said, this is not true, and is the opposite of the law. This gives a good overview of attorney-client privilege with respect to criminal matters: Attorney Client Privilege in Criminal Cases | Lawfirms.com

"Can a Lawyer Represent a Guilty Defendant?

Yes, in fact, they are ethically bound to do so in some ways. Granted, a private attorney can decline to represent your case, but for a public defender or court-appointed attorney, they must still offer a vigorous legal defense regardless of their personal opinion on their client’s guilt. Even if a client confesses their guilt to an attorney, the attorney is ethically obligated to task the government with proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty of a given crime. In other instances, an attorney and client may elect to acknowledge guilt of certain crimes and go to trial seeking a more lenient sentence or defend their guilt regarding part of the charges. Again, the attorney-client privilege exists even regarding knowledge of guilt, and attorneys must represent a guilty client to the best of their ability."

****

This case is so confusing, I've gone back and forth on accident versus premeditated, but the thing that sells me on premeditated is the fact that Amy Huizenga actually filed a change of address to the Anthony's home address based on Casey's claim that her parents were getting divorced and leaving the house to Casey, so Amy could move in. That fact also makes me wonder if the computer searches were also for possibly murdering her parents. That, along with her behavior after Caylee was dead, especially the tattoo, just says to me that she planned it.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of reasonable doubt that Caylee died by suffocation from the duct tape. I simply think that there is no way to know how she died. I too think that the duct tape could have been applied to keep the decomposition fluids from leaking out, but, uh, not to be gross, but that would mean that there should be additional tape on other parts of the body if that were the reason. Cindy Anthony testified that Caylee was pretty much potty-trained.

And can somebody explain to me what relevance searching for "shovel" might have? I've never understood why that is relevant. What information about shovels would you need to research?

I am so glad I'm not on this jury. There is so much conflicting information in this case, I don't think I could ever make a decision.

Oh, and I think she will be found guilty, and get life, because I don't think a jury would be comfortable choosing death without really knowing how Caylee died.

I never said an attorney cannot represent a guilty client.

Read carefully. An attorney cannot put on a false defense if the attorney KNOWS that the client is guilty and the defense story is false and witnesses are going to commit perjury. That's why defense attorneys do NOT ask their clients if they really did the crime. That is something they normally don't talk about with clients. The issue discussed a lot here has been that many people think Jose Baez made up the whole defense story, along with Casey. I"m saying he'd be in big trouble if he did that.

If the client tells the attorney point blank that they committed the crime and the attorney then conspires with the client to put on a false defense, that attorney can be criminally charged and would lose their bar card if, say, the client at a later time decided to report the attorney to the Florida Bar and/or the state attorney. I don't know many defense attorneys who would take that kind of chance with their career. In case you haven't noticed, criminal defendants as a whole are not people with the highest integrity. And they often get mad at their defense attorneys if they are convicted.


Check out (4) (a) below. Perjury is a crime.

http://law.onecle.com/florida/evidence/90.502.html

Last edited by Morgain; 07-05-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top