Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times

Advertisements

Such a terrible tragedy. That man was the devil in disguise. My theory on this is that he was jealous of the relationship between Susan and his father. He killed Susan, and then punished his father by taking his grandchildren away from him .....He destroyed a lot of lives in the process. May he rot in hell.....

Josh Powell Tragedy: Son Said Mom Was In Trunk of Car, Lawyer Claims - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I would think any social worker or child protective services person would be trained to enter the premises first and check it out for safety before allowing any children to enter a home.
So what? Social worker walks in and leaves the kids....where exactly? In the car? So some nut job could steal the car and drive off with the kids or some crazy neighbor breaks the window because they think its too hot? Or maybe you'd prefer that they all walk in so we'd have 4 bodies instead of three? Might as well blame the gas company too since they knew it was gonna happen .

Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
I'm not sure the caseworker could have done anything any differently under the circumstances. If she HAD made it into the house, she would most likely have been a victim as well.

What I don't understand is why were they having the supervised visits at his house? That just seems to be an invitation for problems - possible assault of the caseworker or something like what happened.

My former bosses had a daughter who went to school to work in the social services field. For a year or two after she graduated, while she was looking for a permanent position, she worked for a contract service (probably just like the one in the Powell case) where she was the one who supervised these visits.

I talked with her about it on several occasions and I remember her talking about sitting there, taking notes and observing, but I don't remember her ever saying the visits took place in the home of the parent who needed the supervision. It seems there was an office space that was provided just for this purpose, with toys for the kids to play with, etc. - in other words, a neutral location. Even then, I remember her saying there was a time or two when she was made a little nervous by the parent she was supervising.

So, I think as far as this particular caseworker, there probably wasn't anything she could have done to prevent this. However, I think having the supervised visits in the home is a HUGE mistake, and I think that would be the fault of the company she works for - hopefully they will change the policy and from now on have supervised visitation in a neutral location.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
Default So some nut job could steal the car and drive off

Oh, come on...really? Anyway, if that isn't the procedure now, maybe the procedures should be changed so that a social worker can better protect the children as much as possible before leaving them. I realize he could have stabbed/shot them to death too, not much anyone could have done. But this wasn't an ordinary parental visitation...this guy was under suspicion of murder and they should have known these kids were under a great deal of danger.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
I just wanted to add that I think anyone who has been guilty, or even a serious suspect (as with Josh Powell), of a violent crime should have been automatically ruled out for any visitation, supervised or not, in their home.

Perhaps, when supervising a potentially violent parent, besides doing it in a neutral location, having two caseworkers working together would be a good idea. I believe that the parent being supervised has to pay for these visits, so let him/her pay for two caseworkers, if there is any indication of violence in their background.

Again, it doesn't seem like rocket science, to anticipate that something bad could happen.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
I'm not a religious man by any means.
But even I asked myself how he is gonna explain this to God.
What do you say?
"Yes God, I killed my wife....almost got caught...got nervous so I then killed my kids....and myself."

What a horrible story.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
very good suggestions! I missed how long his visitations were...all weekend, a few hours???

Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
I find it odd that the supervised visits were at his home. Every supervised visit I have been privy to in CA generally take place at a neutral location or in a visitation room at the Child Protective Services building. Apparently this is not the way they do it in other states. Perhaps supervised visitation should be made uniform in all 50 states so that they take place at a CPS location. I'm not into more government regulation, but visitation is usually supervised for a good reason, and nobody knows when the parent subject to the supervision order is going to snap.

Very sad. Both the elder and the younger Powells were creeps. I believe Josh Powell took the lives of those children as a final act of revenge against Susan's parents because of the custody battle - "If I can't have them, you can't have them either". So tragic. I can't even begin to imagine the overwhelming pain and sadness Susan's parents are going through right now.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I think there's alot of sh*t that when on that we'll probably never know about now. I think anybody that does that to their own flesh and blood, hell even to their pet, has a screw loose!
Yes or ALL of their bolts loose...IMHO there is a special place set aside in Hell for people that harm the defenseless children,weak,sick and elderly.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times
What a terribly sad tragedy. Very heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime