Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

No need to go back that far:

Phong Vu American Idol 2012 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

bottom three prediction - Hollie, P2, Elise?
I think Elise is Adam. She's really great in her genre, but she won't and doesn't appeal to the tweenies. P2 is an acquired taste, like Josiah in that video. This is a mass appeal type contest. Which also means even though Jessica is spotless and near perfect in her performances, she still could be in trouble with the voting crowd. Think Melinda Doolittle

Melinda Doolittle - As Long As He Needs Me - YouTube
Wow. I'd forgotten just how good Melinda Doolittle was. But man I hate that song. Not that it isn't a beautiful tune, but the woman who sings it in the original score from Oliver! was being beaten and abused by this man whose trust she'd never betray "as long as he needs [her]." What a horrible message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post

Wow, first off I was shocked to see Jessica in the position to sing for her life. But, I was even more shocked at how absurd and ridiculous her save was. Really? Couldn't have let her finish? They made it into a spectacle and I don't know, I just thought it was ridiculous. I figured she was going to be saved even if she stood up there and sneezed, but wow judges, I see who your favorite is.
The second they announced that Jessica was the bottom one, I got up from the couch, walked into the kitchen and told my husband there was no reason to stay for the "sing-for-your-life song" because there was no way in hell the judges were going to make her sing it ... and I was right.

I seem to recall one other season where they didn't let the bottom person sing and just saved them outright, but I can't remember even which season, or who (though I'm pretty sure it was a guy). But they certainly didn't run up on the stage to stop them, though. I think they all just put their hands up in the air and called for everything to stop. Anyone else remember that?

As for little Jessica, I, too, cracked the heck up at her "I've worked my whole life for this," comments (as if she's had that much of a life to even have worked yet! Just wait little girl - haha!). But, that said, I thought she was extremely gracious when Ryan asked her if she was surprised. In the past other contestants in that position have admitted that they were, indeed, surprised, which betrays a bit of arrogance.

But Jessica very matter-of-factly just said (paraphrased), "No, I'm not surprised at all. I know this is America's choice and all I can do is the best I can do every week and hope they like it." I thought that was a very classy thing to say, especially for such a young girl.

I'm just glad my favorite, Elise, is still safe!!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I seem to recall one other season where they didn't let the bottom person sing and just saved them outright, but I can't remember even which season, or who (though I'm pretty sure it was a guy). But they certainly didn't run up on the stage to stop them, though. I think they all just put their hands up in the air and called for everything to stop. Anyone else remember that?

But Jessica very matter-of-factly just said (paraphrased), "No, I'm not surprised at all. I know this is America's choice and all I can do is the best I can do every week and hope they like it." I thought that was a very classy thing to say, especially for such a young girl.
That sounds familiar to me also but my recall is about as good as yours right now in terms of the other details.

I liked how Jessica handled that question, too.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
One thing I definitely didn't like about Jimmy's critique last night was when he compared P2 and Elise in the same group - can't remember what he called their style - but just wrong, wrong, wrong of him to state Elise doesn't have range, although I agree with his assessment of Phil in that category.

Elise is really good, has stage presense and experience with her own band, and kicked the hell out of You and I. I really wish the "unexpected" could really happen and that the females would come in at the top this year. It would be fun to watch, if the remaining 4 girls could make top 4.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Everyone is blaming the judges for running up on the stage. They have producers, directors, etc. telling them how things will go down. The powers that be decide who gets saved and they tell the judges. The judges are figure heads. Think of it like England. Queen Elizabeth is the face, but the Prime Minister is the one really in charge. Hate the judges if you will, but most of your wrath should be directed at the people who run that show. I also think that the producers tell the judges who to pimp or not pimp each week.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Everyone is blaming the judges for running up on the stage. They have producers, directors, etc. telling them how things will go down. The powers that be decide who gets saved and they tell the judges. The judges are figure heads. Think of it like England. Queen Elizabeth is the face, but the Prime Minister is the one really in charge. Hate the judges if you will, but most of your wrath should be directed at the people who run that show. I also think that the producers tell the judges who to pimp or not pimp each week.
Oh for sure and this is why people wanting Jimmy to be a judge wouldn't work as he would just become another puppet and why Steven starts to cave, it seems, under the pressure of having his strings pulled.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
The judges kept gushing over Jess, and many voters felt they needed not to vote. Voters assumed Jess had a large fan base which could rack up alot of votes for. Now look what happened to Jess last night.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
And look at Hollie. The judges and Jimmy have been mean to her the past few weeks. Hollie did a lot better than the past three weeks and everyone of her fans (Including her hubby, gobucks86) were afraid she would be bumped off this week. Thankfully, viewers had enough of this nonsense and saved her from a visit to the Stools O' Shame, and being bumped off. Hell, P2 should of been in the bottom as his singing is flat, and he sounds the same week after week. The judges, and many viewers praised him. A.I. seriously need new, serious judges or else would be going away in 2013.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
The judges kept gushing over Jess, and many voters felt they needed not to vote. Voters assumed Jess had a large fan base which could rack up alot of votes for. Now look what happened to Jess last night.
Another theory floating is that they manipulated the votes to play it off like Jess came in with the least because they had a save to use anyway and they don't want to use it on others, so now it's gone, and stirs up sympathy for Jess as the underdog balancing the over pimping, so that it will now get her voters to go crazy taking her through to top 2.

For every theroy there is a counter. Who knows, maybe they really like Hollie. She's a brit and so is Nigel and he likes old style stuff and Hollie falls into that.

Maybe all this wanting Jessica to win was just for kicks and they really just want a Colton/P2 finale after all or Colton/Skyler.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 04-13-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I have a hard time believing that Jessica was in the bottom 3 after a great performance. I truly believe this was one big setup for the sake of drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV