Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 04:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times

Advertisements

MK has always appeared to have flat affect to me- while her voice is decent, I've never understood why anyone would want to watch her perform. She also could not convey any enthusiasm.

I don't think she should have even made it into the top 12 or whatever number is in the final group that competes for votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
MK has always appeared to have flat affect to me- while her voice is decent, I've never understood why anyone would want to watch her perform. She also could not convey any enthusiasm.

I don't think she should have even made it into the top 12 or whatever number is in the final group that competes for votes.

This was im sure was a big reason and glad it out of the way if this show comes back next season. I havent check to see how much of rating drop this season has.

MK Nobilette - Pride and Challenges of being Openly Gay on Idol - American Idol VIII 2014 - YouTube

I feel with her and other contestants at least for now it about improving their resume and getting the pro noun "American Idol Contestant" vs winning the show. With that title they can charge more to perform and more places will let them perform.

I bet next year Ill see in my feeds MK performing at 'Pride' festivals but your right I was never moved by her voice nor she gave stellar performances. I cant find any pre idol YouTube channels on MK. At beginning of the seasons I search most to see if they have a channel to determine how serious they are about singing.

Speaking of bus tour I remember last year they struggle selling seats so this season I expect the same or they might have to resort to lowering type of venues to auditoriums etc

I think P2 will be last Idol to top the charts, but Im with above mention I could see Alex winning because he appears humble. It seems all the prior winners was humble and that major factor in why Kris Allen won.

I could see for now Alex and Jena in final two base on humbleness and the dark horse is Malaya.
Crossing my fingers that Majesty is just playing it safe and will belt her voice soon,: she seems so sweet.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-23-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,522 times
I really like Alex and Jena is getting better each week. I could see them being top 2. Ratings are down 30% from last year, and last year they were down 30% from the prior year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/bu...-ran.html?_r=0

Old 03-24-2014, 05:53 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I really like Alex and Jena is getting better each week. I could see them being top 2. Ratings are down 30% from last year, and last year they were down 30% from the prior year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/bu...-ran.html?_r=0
The article mentions the Thursday night audience was small:

Quote:
Thursday’s show also had the smallest overall audience — 8.4 million viewers — since a night in July in its first year, when “Idol” played in the summer. A year ago on the same night, “American Idol” averaged a 2.9 rating, which means the show sank about 34 percent from year to year.
I think this is due to putting the Thursday show on at 9pm instead of 8pm.

It now competes with Two and A Half Men on CBS:

'Two and a Half Men,' 'Crazy Ones' improve in new time slots | Inside TV | EW.com

Quote:
CBS’ time-slot swap worked: Two and a Half Men and The Crazy Ones both improved in the ratings Thursday night after trading places on the schedule last night. While Fox’s American Idol hit a new series low.
First CBS: Ultra-veteran Two and a Half Men, which was moved up to 9 p.m., rose 32 percent from its last original on Feb. 6. Freshman newcomer Crazy Ones went up 12 percent despite being shifted downhill to 9:30 p.m.
Also, I think the new thing they added on Wednesday where they give a preview of how contestants are doing in the initial voting takes the mystery out of watching the results show on Thursday.

I still like the show much more this year than last year.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM

Default Ratings down all season

Ratings have been down all season. I think they lost a lot of viewers with the train wreck of judging last season (Keith being the exception). I agree with you this season is much improved. Some of the singers are really improving and those that don't won't last.

American Idol Losing Money and Viewers - Ratings Way Down | Celeb Dirty Laundry

Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
Quote:
Ratings have been down all season. I think they lost a lot of viewers with the train wreck of judging last season (Keith being the exception). I agree with you this season is much improved. Some of the singers are really improving and those that don't won't last.

American Idol Losing Money and Viewers - Ratings Way Down | Celeb Dirty Laundry
Thanks for the article. I didn't realize ratings were this bad?

I actually thought this season's changes would bring back viewers.

Another thing that I think they should do is go back to a Tuesday performance, Wednesday Results show schedule like they had years ago.

Thursday is usually a good night for sitcoms on other networks, so it's hard for Idol to compete against them.

Maybe this schedule change back in 2010 is what brought the show down?

Fox announces midseason schedule and moves 'American Idol' to Wednesdays and Thursdays - latimes.com

Quote:
So much for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Sensing an opening on Thursday nights now that CBS' reality hit "Survivor" has moved off that night, Fox is moving "American Idol" from Tuesday and Wednesday nights to Wednesday and Thursday nights when the talent show returns Jan. 19.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
I hate the schedule too!

And as for this weeks show I have this to say: Yakkity y.a.k. and don't talk back!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 PM

I am still in shock that Ryan and J-Lo make 15 million dollars each! No wonder she came back. I do think she is a good judge and entertaining. I love having Harry on-board. Always loved Keith. It was funny last week when Keith sounded like Harry and Harry sounded like Keith. They are quick on their feet. But the quality of the singers this year just does not grab me like last year.

I think due to "The Voice" being on Monday/Tuesday nights, Idol did not want to compete with that show the same nights.

Wow...15 million...work one year and retire! Sign me up!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
I am still in shock that Ryan and J-Lo make 15 million dollars each! No wonder she came back. I do think she is a good judge and entertaining. I love having Harry on-board. Always loved Keith. It was funny last week when Keith sounded like Harry and Harry sounded like Keith. They are quick on their feet. But the quality of the singers this year just does not grab me like last year.

I think due to "The Voice" being on Monday/Tuesday nights, Idol did not want to compete with that show the same nights.

Wow...15 million...work one year and retire! Sign me up!
No wonder why there so many ads and the big coke cup or this week diet, maybe cup will be black next week
Im not to surprise on Ryan figure he definitely has earn and worked for his celebrity status. He still does his radio personality show too. I like him as he seems to get to know the contestants and has done excellent job in making Idol successful for the last thirteen years. He is the younger version of Dick Clark and Ed McMahon.

Speaking of figures I saw this on wiki page and at first I thought the bus tour was something annoying for those that dont win to do but making it to just top 10 not bad income for the summer.

Quote:
The winner receives a record deal with a major label, which may be for up to six albums and secures a management contract with American Idol-affiliated 19 Management (which has the right of first refusal to sign all contestants), as well as various lucrative contracts.

All winners prior to season nine reportedly earned at least $1 million in their first year as winner.
All the runners-up of the first ten seasons, as well as some of other finalists, have also received record deals with major labels.
However, starting in season 11, the runner-up may only be guaranteed a single-only deal.

BMG/Sony (seasons 1–9) and UMG (season 10–) had the right of first refusal to sign contestants for three months after the season's finale.
Prominent music mogul Clive Davis also produced some of the selected contestants' albums, such as Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Fantasia Barrino and Diana DeGarmo.
All top 10 (11 in seasons 10 and 12) finalists earn the privilege of going on a tour, where the participants may each earn a six-figure sum.
I like the wiki page on AI was very informative. American Idol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-26-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Anyone want to go out on a limb and guess who gets eliminated next?

Their studio recordings really reveal a more polished version of their performances. For example, C.J. singing Invisible, it sounds very little like what he did on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOD5wfy8gHs

or Jessica: She reminds me so much of Stevie Nicks only with her own unique voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_U_6EgrprQ

Alex Preston, unbelievably good "Story of my Life":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyMHYAwbcTg

Last edited by ellemint; 03-26-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV