Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You don't care that much? You already had created TEN posts on this subject before I even weighed in.

I didn't curse at you because of disagreement. I basically told you to shove off because of your dishonesty in portraying my words as somehow more "emotional" than yours. I wrote with logic and you have not refuted any of it.

Characterizing my posts as "emotional" and saying I'm "in a tizzy" is just a transparent ad hominem attack. It's a tactic used by people who have no rebuttal, so they lazily resort to personal attacks instead.
No, you're just mad because you want to continue to argue and I don't. I disagree that you wrote with logic. Your answers were "who cares"? and "who really knows?" and "I once read", with no source, and "my grandparents" (as if that proves something). I have commented on two public figures. You are attacking ME.

I have stated on this forum that I wish them well. It may be cynical, but sadly no, I don't expect the marriage will last. I hope in this instance I will be proven wrong. There is really nothing else to say.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Well, if the pictures and comments from the Prince Harry and Meghan visit to Wales are any indication, then our UK cousins are happy with the couple. So be it for me.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
As far as changing her religion, she has no choice in the matter if she wants to marry Prince Harry. It's all ancient royal rules - the monarch is titled "Defender of The Faith" and that's taken seriously. I doubt she'll change what she believes on the inside. I remember reading articles from ages ago suggesting that some members of the royal family don't believe in Christianity, but they are required to appear to.
Can we put this to bed once and for all.

"Fideo Defensor" (Defender of the faith), was a title that was given Henry VIII for his support of Roman Catholicism by the Pope. It's got nothing to do with the Church of England. Indeed it's only a historical clerical (no pun intended) error that they retain the title, given Henry was later excommunicated, and formed his own church to divorce.

The requirement that any royal has to "convert" is to primarily prevent a catholic Monarch of England, secondly to ensure continuation of the role of head of the Church of England. While it's almost impossible for a spouse to end up on the British throne, the almost means it's not actually impossible, so belt and braces, they have to convert (or at least have it up for discussion, so that other steps may be taken to guarantee that continuation of the Monarchy doesn't fall to them).

Old 01-23-2018, 05:14 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Well, if the pictures and comments from the Prince Harry and Meghan visit to Wales are any indication, then our UK cousins are happy with the couple. So be it for me.
If you’ll indulge my going off on a slight tangent, I was idly perusing the London Evening Standard tonight, while my wife was in the lounge watching a mind numbing British soap, when I read that Malia Obama, Barack Obama’s daughter, is dating a British guy, Rory Farquharson, a fellow student at Harvard.
They were pictured strolling around New York City.
With them both being 19, it’s probably nothing more than two kids having fun, getting to know each other, but if it turns out to be a tad more serious, then good luck to them.
I’d like to think that our American cousins would be as happy for them, as the Brits seem to be for Harry and Meghan.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
If you’ll indulge my going off on a slight tangent, I was idly perusing the London Evening Standard tonight, while my wife was in the lounge watching a mind numbing British soap, when I read that Malia Obama, Barack Obama’s daughter, is dating a British guy, Rory Farquharson, a fellow student at Harvard.
They were pictured strolling around New York City.
With them both being 19, it’s probably nothing more than two kids having fun, getting to know each other, but if it turns out to be a tad more serious, then good luck to them.
I’d like to think that our American cousins would be as happy for them, as the Brits seem to be for Harry and Meghan.
and why not... its wonderful and good luck to Malia as well as Meghan with their happiness and love... what we need is a great big melting pot....

Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
and why not... its wonderful and good luck to Malia as well as Meghan with their happiness and love... what we need is a great big melting pot....
I catch your drift Diz, and I love you like a sister, but I could do with a few more French people in this melting pot, to back me up in my constant sniping with the Sassenachs you understand.
I yield to no one in my undying love for the Scots in my family, but they drive me nuts when any of my French relatives are over, “Whit did he say, I cannae understand?”, etc.
Incidentally my great-niece’s grandfather, from Blantyre, asked me if we English couldn’t come up with a better term than Jock for Scotsmen, I said that as a Londoner, I call them sweaties, rhyming slang for sweaty socks= Jocks, he said that he knows an English guy who calls them “porridge wogs!!!” I think that that’s a step too far.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Ive never seen Harry looking so happy. and if thats what love does, then long may it continue.. you go Harry .. and have a wonderful life with your lovely woman..
Amen. I really don't care what their political or religious beliefs are - it's their life and their marriage and I wish them the best. And yes, he seems to be head over heels and if so, then yay for Harry.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I catch your drift Diz, and I love you like a sister, but I could do with a few more French people in this melting pot, to back me up in my constant sniping with the Sassenachs you understand.
I yield to no one in my undying love for the Scots in my family, but they drive me nuts when any of my French relatives are over, “Whit did he say, I cannae understand?”, etc.
Incidentally my great-niece’s grandfather, from Blantyre, asked me if we English couldn’t come up with a better term than Jock for Scotsmen, I said that as a Londoner, I call them sweaties, rhyming slang for sweaty socks= Jocks, he said that he knows an English guy who calls them “porridge wogs!!!” I think that that’s a step too far.
hahahaha.. actually I was in Blantyre a few weeks ago visiting my cousin who has lived there for over 50 years.. OH dont say any of those names for scots in a pub here hahaha.. yes why not some French too.. would make it interesting.. our own Mary Queen of Scots spoke French... and brought up over there.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
.. yes why not some French too.. would make it interesting.. our own Mary Queen of Scots spoke French... and brought up over there.
Yes, she had the good sense to marry a French guy,
but then look what those English s.o.b.s did to her!

Old 01-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, she had the good sense to marry a French guy,
but then look what those English s.o.b.s did to her!
so true Jean hahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom