Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:31 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
They don't realize that they have been conditioned to become section 8 people.First thing to becoming a section 8 person is to refuse to leave a city when it is appearant that there is no other way for things to improve.
So when the populations increase the demand for welfare does also due to limited employment.
But then again the city people think they are entitled to work where they live.Kinda like a Chinese factory mentality.
I don't get it, at all.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just like my generation, this generaion (Gen Y) will turn greedy and materialistic.
All bow to the wise, omnipotent, all-knowing Katiana. She has said it, and it must be so.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
While I think you are overgeneralizing a bit, depending on the region, city and particular neighborhood, what you are talking about certainly has taken place in more than a few cities just as you are predicting.

It is amazing how quickly it can happen if the city has taken a forceful interest in redeveloping downtown areas with both infrastructure and zoning upgrades that bring in major development.

We bought in a "streetcar suburb" neighborhood adjacent downtown that had really been considered ghetto a few short years before and was just on the edge of transitioning- but seemed like it yet could go either way. Just up the street was a crack ***** living in a run down apt. who would wander around our street and would tack up signs in her window to not disturb her unless it was "business" yikes! The city here also was making major development opportunities downtown around the same time and with the new ballpark the whole east section was transformed in about 8 years, also the underperforming elementary school in the neighborhood was turned into a specialized charter school, which I think made a huge difference.

Flash forward 15 years and our neighborhood and adjoining ones are considered hipster, dynamic areas full of restaurants and shops. Classic old homes are $600 s.f. and up and are snatched up quite quickly even in this economy by young couples and singles who strongly desire a settled, walkable place that is close to urban amenities. The former crack *****'s rundown place is now a French crepe/pannini bistro with new shops, wine bars and beer pubs along the same street that was deserted for decades. Now we couldn't imagine living anywhere else, we might not be as hip- pushing 50 as we are- but we can still hang with the 'kids' and certainly enjoy the new blood that the neighborhood has attracted.

It certainly hasn't happened in all cities and I don't know how necessarily generational it is, but there is a slice of society that will desire this type of lifestyle and will invest in those areas that either portend a shift towards it or are providing it now.
While it's good that the crack house is is gone, I'm not sure how much a French crepe/pannini bistro with wine bars and beer pubs is contributing to society. You can get as drunk in a wine bar or beer pub as in an old run down bar, and get in an accident and kill yourself and 10 other people. I'm not sure I want to pay $600K for a 1000 sq. ft house, either. "Gentrification" is running all the poor people out of their neighborhoods and "somewhere" else. I realize that's not your problem, but it is society's problem.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM

135 posts, read 248,272 times
Quote:
I see it's arrogance. Nice way to call older generations racist, too. Some of us were never IN the city, BTW. Most of my generation grew up in the burbs. Oh, and we were going to live in the city, too, and somehow "change the world, rearrange the world".

It's ignorance, too, ignorance of history. This is the same stuff my generation said.

I'll say this, you've got a lot to learn, buddy. Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. I'll make a prediction, too. Just like my generation, this generaion (Gen Y) will turn greedy and materialistic.
Are you willing to argue previous generations as a whole before us weren't racist?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
They don't realize that they have been conditioned to become section 8 people.First thing to becoming a section 8 person is to refuse to leave a city when it is appearant that there is no other way for things to improve.
So when the populations increase the demand for welfare does also due to limited employment.
But then again the city people think they are entitled to work where they live.Kinda like a Chinese factory mentality.
What in the world is this?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
Are you willing to argue previous generations as a whole before us weren't racist?
"As a whole"? Yes, I'd argue they weren't racist. The Civil Rights movement started in the late 1950s. Young adults of the day were very active in this. They were born in the 1930s. I don't think "racist" knows any generational boundaries. I think you'd find a lot of racists in your own generation if you took a look around. Back in about 2006, when my youngest daughter was in college, she talked about some fraternity party at her college that was some sort of "*******" party. She asked me what that meant and told me she'd never heard it before. I said that was because her father and I don't talk like that. Ironically, she grew up in Colorado with lots of exposure to hispanics.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
I read the link. I LOVED the mention that Gen Y'ers want to walk everywhere. Granted, this is based on a study and not representative of all people of this age nationwide. Still found that finding pretty cool.

"One third are wiling to pay for the ability to walk"....the walking class is hugely underestimated. Long live the walking class.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
"As a whole"? Yes, I'd argue they weren't racist. The Civil Rights movement started in the late 1950s. Young adults of the day were very active in this. They were born in the 1930s. I don't think "racist" knows any generational boundaries. I think you'd find a lot of racists in your own generation if you took a look around. Back in about 2006, when my youngest daughter was in college, she talked about some fraternity party at her college that was some sort of "*******" party. She asked me what that meant and told me she'd never heard it before. I said that was because her father and I don't talk like that. Ironically, she grew up in Colorado with lots of exposure to hispanics.
White Flight started around the same time as the Civil Rights movement. You're going to be hard pressed to argue racism on a large scale didn't exist before my generation.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Eh, I guess the words "wet + back" combined don't make it through CD's filters. Anyway, that's the kind of frat party they were having, and such parties are not unusual.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Long live the walking class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning