Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times

Advertisements

Katiana,

So what? Part of not owning a car is figuring out how to survive without a car.

Because of construction, in the past I have owned some large trucks, on the rare occasion one of my friends needed to move they asked for my help. Are they moochers or are they mooching because they don't own a truck that they MIGHT need once a year?

I don't own a water ski boat. Am I mooching or a moocher if I bribe a friend, that owns a boat with beer, BBQ and gas?

Don't buy a 5000 sq ft house when you will never use half the rooms.
Don't buy a six passenger car to drive one person.
Don't buy 4x4 to only drive to the store.
Don't buy a car to use once a month.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is a guide to living car-free. Do note #7.

A Practical Guide to a Car-Free (or Car-Lite) Lifestyle.

7. Borrow or rent. Just because you choose to live car-free doesn’t mean you can never use one. Borrow or rent a vehicle for those odd occasions when it’s absolutely necessary. Friends and family are usually happy to help out from time to time and the money you spend on a small thank-you gift or renting will be substantially less than owning your own vehicle.

I did a google search about borrowing cars, and mostly came up with hits about insurance in that situation. Also read a few horror stories about people lending out their cars and people getting into accidents with them, including DUIs, hitting a pedestrian, etc. I know someone to whom that happened. She was the lender, not the borrower.

Here's another one:

How to Live Without a Car: 13 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

See #11

If you need to take a trip outside of the range of inexpensive public transportation, try to get a rideshare. You simply find a driver who's going your way and give them gas money or help them out with the driving. You can find rideshares on the Internet.

Yep, that's it. Just expect someone else to be a troglodyte, environment wrecker and buy the car, maintain it, etc and when you want a ride, offer to fill up the tank OR drive the car. Sounds right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I don't get the point of your continuous bashing of those that don't own cars, other than maybe antagonizing posters..
Throwing stones is how I see it.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
What's wrong with internet ridershares? I rather like them. I've used them a number of times both as a passenger and as a driver. The driver gets gas money and the passenger gets a ride. I don't expect everyone to have a car that they wouldn't use much anyway. Besides getting gas money, extra passengers are often good company on long trips; I consider ridesharing as a passenger in a few cases even though I own a car. Both parties are willing, what's the big deal?

I don't get the point of your continuous bashing of those that don't own cars, other than maybe antagonizing posters. So a guide suggests getting borrowing others cars; 1 suggestion among many. Does that mean you can generalize non-car owners as moochers? No. And I don't really need to guide to tell how to live without a car.
I am not "bashing". That's in the eye of the beholder.

The big deal is that most people would not be able to live car-free if the rest of us didn't have cars. Certainly they wouldn't be able to live car-free if cars ceased to exist. So maybe a little less sanctimony from the "car-frees" would be nice.

There is an anti-immunization book that suggests people not tell their friends they're not immunizing. That way your kids won't get sick with vaccine-preventable diseases b/c your friends kids will be immunized and won't pass them on. This is the same thing.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
I am not "bashing". That's in the eye of the beholder.

The big deal is that most people would not be able to live car-free if the rest of us didn't have cars. Certainly they wouldn't be able to live car-free if cars ceased to exist. So maybe a little less sanctimony from the "car-frees" would be nice.
That's a silly situation, if cars didn't exist, public transportation would be much, much better and neighborhood much, more more walkable. The most isn't true. Most people living without a car are living in places where it's not that inconvenient.

Sanctimony is in the eye of the beholder. The big deal is trying to imply others (including myself and many posters) and somehow leaching.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
That's a silly situation, if cars didn't exist, public transportation would be much, much better and neighborhood much, more more walkable.

Sanctimony is in the eye of the beholder. The big deal is trying to imply others (including myself and many posters) and somehow leaching.
I never said anything about you! If you didn't bring it up, and keep bringing it up, I wouldn't even know you at one time didn't have a car. At one point, neither did I. It is pretty clear that part of living w/o a car involves using a car at times. Many people seem to have no compunction about borrowing someone else's car, mindless of the liability of doing same.

I disagree that public transportation would automatically be better if cars simply ceased to exist. There are some places public transportation didn't go before cars became ubiquitous. The fact is, people just didn't go everywhere they can now.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It is pretty clear that part of living w/o a car involves using a car at times. Many people seem to have no compunction about borrowing someone else's car, mindless of the liability of doing same.
Please don't discount the 1,000 times car rental has been brought up.

Quote:
I disagree that public transportation would automatically be better if cars simply ceased to exist. .

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM

Did public transportation exist to the Colorado ski slopes before cars became popular? Nothing more than exists now, I can assure you. Most small towns and rural areas NEVER had any PT. Some may have it now b/c it's part of a metro transit agency.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I don't get the point of your continuous bashing of those that don't own cars
Speaking only for myself, I'm criticizing people who don't own cars, talk about how they don't own a car, say they don't need a car ... and then proceed to beg rides and borrow cars from those who do own cars.

You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Quote:
Certainly they wouldn't be able to live car-free if cars ceased to exist. So maybe a little less sanctimony from the "car-frees" would be nice.
Ah, wouldn't we ALL be living car-free, if cars ceased to exist???

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Speaking only for myself, I'm criticizing people who don't own cars, talk about how they don't own a car, say they don't need a car ... and then proceed to beg rides and borrow cars from those who do own cars.

You don't see the hypocrisy in that?
Yes I see the hypocrisy in your anecdotal situation. Considering nobody on this has confessed to this, and we're talking in terms of anecdotes and questionable "car-free living" blogs, it seems to be to be rather silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning